collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who Here Has Heard A Bull Glunking?  (Read 14610 times)

Offline Elknut1

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
Who Here Has Heard A Bull Glunking?
« on: July 01, 2008, 06:03:16 AM »

Who here has heard a bull glunk/glunking? Curious as to the possible situation & how close you were? No need for a long story, just a brief explanation. How often do you personally hear this sound on a yearly hunting season basis? I've personally heard it a handful of times over the years, there's years go by I've not heard it at all, the situation has to be right as it's not a commonly used sound like chuckling. Thanks Guys!

ElkNut1

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Who Here Has Heard A Bull Glunking?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2008, 06:33:19 AM »
I've heard it a couple times, and I guess I was always very close.  I believe there were always cows with the bull and I was always pressing the issue with him.  I honestly don't know if the sound was menat for me (the opposing bull) or if he was communicating with his cows letting them know whats what with me right there.  :dunno:

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2008, 06:39:42 AM »
I was talking to someone that swears that the most effective way to call in a bull is to mimic the glunking sound.  I guess it really gets them interested.  I dont have that sound in my repator maybe I should work on it.

I've heard glunking once for sure same deal mid September, nice day in the evening cows around the bull :dunno:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2008, 06:53:41 AM »
I've heard it a few times. Several times on a bull that was chuckling only not bugling and I was probably within 80 yrds or so
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 08:32:17 AM by Gobble »

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2008, 06:55:28 AM »
Same deal as above.  Pressing the issue when he was with cows.
- Scott

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2008, 07:29:01 AM »
I've heard it several times as well.  Mainly when you get in close and the bull is managing his cows and pressing them around.  Usually means your ready for some close quarters action if you can get in the middle of them!

Offline Hunting Cowboy

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2008, 08:05:48 AM »
I've only heard the Glunking one time. During Archery season I had located a bull in a particular drainage and slipped in before daylight. Once in there, I used cow calls only. I could hear the bull raking a tree below me. The terrain was very steep in dark timber with a few areas where sunlight could get through. As the thermals became stronger, I moved in. As I got closer, I began to use what I call an aggressive cow call. (kind of a long, whiney cow call?)

Everytime the bull quit raking, I'd cow call until he'd go back to raking. As he raked, I'd slip in a little closer and get set up. I continued this routine over and over, until I was within about 75 yards which was as close as I felt I could get.

Finally, after a long, excruciating session, the bull began moving his cows up the hill in my direction. It was during this move that I heard the bull glunking. I had one cow come to my left and go up the hill behind me and another crossed 20 yards in front moving to my right. The rest of the cows were moving up in my direction. I was afraid I was about to get busted when finally the bull showed himself at 45 yards down the hill from me. The six point was almost broadside looking right at me. I was at full draw.

Unfortunately, I missed him by deflecting my arrow off a limb and over shot. One of the most exciting elk hunts I've been on and the only time I have heard a bull glunk. I walked down to that tree which was an 8' christmas tree only it was completely stripped and there was a torn up circle around that tree that looked like a troy built rototiller had been at work.

Offline Todd_ID

• Frontiersman
  • Hunt Hard!
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:29:07 AM »
The glunking I've heard came when I was cow calling only, and the bull thought I was a cow waiting to be bred.  I've maybe heard it 4 or 5 times over 22 years chasing elk every September, and it's a quiet sound, so you can't hear it over about 100 yards.
Bring a GPS!  It's awkward to have to eat your buddies!

Offline bam

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 05:17:47 PM »
Heard it a few times on bulls that were really fired up,  like already stated you only hear it when their close.  You can mimick it by cupping your hand and popping the top of your tube.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 05:34:32 PM »
Only on video.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2008, 06:23:52 PM »
I mimick it by using my moose call through the grunt tube...sort of.

Online Houndhunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2008, 08:20:33 PM »
fill me in what is glunking?

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2008, 08:51:12 PM »
ive heard it a few times. never heard it from a roosevelt though. ive never heard this one, but some folks have told me they have heard a bull beat his peter against his belly. they called it drumming.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2008, 08:54:00 PM »
They squirt it constantly like a squirt bottle and mists urine all over themselves and in the air.  They squirt this mist about every 3 seconds.  Thats probably what they hear or are thinking.

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 09:02:39 PM »
I've heard it 7 or 8 times, only when I was in tight with an older 6+ years or older herd bull. It's so suttle you would have to be in tight to hear it. I haven't heard it from a bull without cows. I haven't tried to mimick it as a call. I watched a guy on a video rake along the side of his bugle to imitate the sound.
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 09:07:01 PM »

"They squirt it constantly like a squirt bottle and mists urine all over themselves and in the air". I like to do the same thing! It really works with the ladies ;)
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 09:20:46 PM »
Hornseeker and I had a gorgeous 6 point next to us one night and we had him lit up with pen lights at about 15 feet or so and he was pissin all over himself.  That was probably the first time I heard that noise.  Took me a minute to figure out what it was but at night with those lights you could see the mist.

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
fill me in what is glunking?

I thought it was the sound from beer a bottle when I am pouring a frothy cool one? Glunk, glunk, glunk.... Last one was a Bud, not a Bull... :dunno:

:brew:
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 06:08:14 AM »

I figured there were a few who had experienced this sound! I agree it's a very subtle sound & cannot be heard very far off. I've talked with hunters over the years that have this sound confused with "chuckling" which is "ape like" in sound & tone. Many times bulls will use very light or low volume chuckles & guys mistake that for glunking. You've got great ears to recognize this sound at 100yds or so, better than mine for sure! (grin)
  What does a bull do to make this sound himself? I've asked this to a whole lot of different hunters during our Seminars & no one has known the answer yet? Most feel it's a guttural thing by bulls, well, it is not! They make this sound by slapping their tongue against the roof of their mouths in a clicking or stabbing like action.  Hunters can imitate this sound best with a mouth reed if you're good or another great way is to perch your lips together & act like you're trying to spit a piece of hair off your lips, let your lower lip lead out beyond your upper lip slightly & pop the sound out. With practice you'll get it down very good. Once there do it into the mouth of your Grunt Tube, it works & sounds great!

Bulls Glunk in the presence of cows or trying to call cows their way, it's not just an estrus thing but also a Dominance feature, bulls will also use this sound to call a new cow (you) over to them. It's a Dominance & Signature sound to bulls, it's generally only done by the more mature bulls in a group or given area. Because it is a Dominance thing among bulls it's a real slap in a herd bulls face to have another bull come in close to his herd & try to call his cows from him with this I'm bigger, badder & deserve those cows more than you. Remember it's the cows who choose the bull they want to be with, bulls will use this sound "glunking" to display their manhood & their deserving to be the chosen one to keep/have those cows & breed them. So it can be a challenge to the herd bull as well as an action on this new bulls part (you) to persuade those cows they should be with him instead. That's his ultimate goal is to have those cows for himself, he's trying to prove his worthiness!

Now you can see why a well placed glunking action is very deadly at the right time!! Get in tight, glunk & give a series of rapid soft chuckles at the end & you'll be demanding for those cows to take notice of you, in doing so you'll most likely have a pretty pissed off herd bull, you'd better have an arrow nocked!!! (grin)  Great responses guys!!

ElkNut1

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 01:37:18 PM »
I'm with Houndhunter...I need to hear the sound to tell you if I have ever heard it in the field.  From your descriptions there is a good chance I have heard it, but it is not something I have tried to replicate when calling.  Sounds like one I need to learn though.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 05:09:41 PM »
I'm with Houndhunter...I need to hear the sound to tell you if I have ever heard it in the field.  From your descriptions there is a good chance I have heard it, but it is not something I have tried to replicate when calling.  Sounds like one I need to learn though.

Take your grunt/bugle tube and hit it with your open palm. It will make a sound very similar.

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 11:27:19 AM »
Ok guys, I have a theory regarding this sound and another possible use for it. If you ever listen to a dog when he's hunting or really looking hard for something, they take in air through their mouth and you can hear their tongue smack up against the top/back of their mouth . They do this because it heightens their sense of smell (you can do it as well and smell better). Maybe that's why you usually only hear it when a bull is around cows as it allows him to smell a little better when he's excited. It's just loud because they are a very big animal.

Just a thought    :dunno:

Fullabull

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 12:16:23 PM »
Very good theory Fullabull

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 05:01:30 PM »

Fullabull, Thought about that for the last several years, just couldn't make a connection as to if that's what he's doing. We've talked about it at hunting camp as well. I believe I heard someone mention it on Bowsite too a couple years back, it's always intrigued me as a strong possibility.  It's as if a bull is literally tasting the air instead of smelling the air, that's a thought that we've come up with!

Not sure about the dog thing! (grin)

ElkNut1

Offline bucklucky

• Old Salt
    • Charlie Smith
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
I have thought the same thing. Hunting hounds I know the exact sound especially when they wre grubbin a real cold track. Souds like a glunk just at a smaller level.

Offline Fullabull

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
Hi Paul,

That's exactly what it is,,,Tasting the air, many animals do it because it enhances that sense. Since many animals do it when they get excited while using their nose to find or check things out, I thought I would throw it out there as another possibility. But I think it's more of a means of communication than anything else, like you were saying.

Good thread BTW

Fulla

Offline SNIPER10

• Tracker
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2008, 11:53:36 PM »
I have heard the sound quite often when I am in the magic circle of 100 yards from the bull.  I have heard it from several hundred yards when I am out way early in the morning and the woods are silent.  Most folks pop their palm against the end of grunt tube to make the sound.  That sounds alright but it is never very loud and not as crisp as it is with a real bull.  I use the "Full Rut" diaphragm from Bugling Bulls Game Calls to make the glunking sound.  You have to choose a call that has fairly loose latex so it is deep.  Drop your tongue off of the call and then say the word, "HUK".  That will put just enough air into the call to make it pop.  Bulls make this sound in a series of usually three to four glunks.  It is very difficult to get the exact cadence of a bull, but they don't seem to worry too much about cadence.   

JT

Offline bulldown

• Pilgrim
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
I've heard it quite a few times in the field but 2 years ago we had a bull that glunked probably 15-20 times per minute.  That is no lie!  He was extremely fired up and just finished fighting or facing off with a larger bull just before we got into him.  In fact, all the commotion and bugling led us right to them.  I was probably within 80 yards of him with 2 callers behind me.  He had 8 cows with him and glunked non-stop for at least 45 minutes.  My guess is that he had or just lost a hot cow and was still really fired up.   One would think that a bull that fired up would come to a challenge call especially after he just got whooped but he was chicken and wouldn't come in.  Either that or he did have a hot cow and wasn't going to leave her.     

Bulldown!

Offline cackle

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2008, 09:29:43 AM »
is this the sound you guys are talkin about
If you cant fix it with a hammer you got an electrical problem

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2008, 10:36:12 AM »

Although that sounds like a  hunter trying to imitate chuckles & glunking sounds, the latter of the glunking was closer to what most are referring too.

ElkNut1

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2008, 10:37:47 AM »
is this the sound you guys are talkin about

Yep, the later part of the audio clip is the sound of a bull glunking. 
275 down 2

Offline cackle

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2008, 10:39:35 AM »
I got the mp3 off a web site of an elk farm saying they were recordings of their elk
If you cant fix it with a hammer you got an electrical problem

Offline WonkyWapiti

• Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2008, 11:28:35 PM »
I haven't heard that sound but last year I heard something I never had before.  My buddy and I were walking in to an ambush sight before light and walked right into a resting herd.  After nearly being trampled by a few of the animals we could hear them milling around us and I even heard one urinating within about ten yards of me so most of them hadn't been spooked off.  It was very dark so we couldn't see crap.  We had no choice but to stand fast until things began to lighten up.  We had cows around us and between us and the ambush spot.  As light came, we spread out about forty yards apart and started cow calling when some of the cows had started moving up the hill side. 

All of a sudden I heard the loudest most thunderous bark that just echo'd.  I'd never known a bull to bark but I knew this was no cow.  We continued to cow call and I was finally able to see the frustrated bull pacing back and forth behind some trees about 65 yards up the hill side.  This went on for about 45 minutes with him continuing to send out that thunderous bark.  It was really cool but we couldn't get him any closer and we both had left our bugles back at the truck.  Another friend of mine had said that he had heard that noise before and he claimed it was the bull trying to get us (who he thought were some of his cows) to get our butts up the hill to him.  This did seem like what he was trying to do.  After about 45 minutes he started moving away and up the hill.

Offline Elknut1

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:59 AM »

Agreed!! This bull was giving you what I call the Popping/Nervous Grunt, it's a very common sound used by all elk, it was not a warning bark!! He wanted a visual or identification of you, he wanted you to come over to him now!!!! A warning bark is done in 2's & 3's & get further away quickly as they scatter, other elk can also chime in issuing the warning to the herd. There are ways to overcome this action, a bugle is not needed in many instances but I too prefer one! A few distressed cow sounds & some voice growls, moans & groans as you retreat from the bull can go along ways to ones success.

ElkNut1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan