collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 7mm mag with muzzle brake  (Read 32357 times)

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Re: 7mm mag with muzzle brake
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 07:08:20 AM »
However when I have looked at breaks for the purpose of long sets of shooting I really like the pain killer break.

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 07:09:06 AM »
All you re-loaders are getting me all the more curious now.

My dad gave me a RCBS, I think it is, reload kit years ago. Shame on me for never perusing it. I was a single parent is my only excuse. I think he got me the dyes for my 7mm. At the time I was more interested in 44 dyes. I just never had the money or time to carry it further. Nor the time to read about all the powders, scales and just everything else.

I use to buy reloads from a chief in the navy for my 44. I was shooting 300 gr. Wad cutters and every single time I had to remove the cylinder and pound out the brass. I accused him of loading to Hot and formed an iffy if not down right no, nadda, no way attitude about reloading. And since I don't know crap about that. You mean to tell me a You can reduce a 300 WSM to the recoil of a 243 with the same ballistics? I think you just got my attention.
times before with just leather, wool and cotton.

Offline rbros

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 07:23:15 AM »
I would not use the Vias style 360 degree brakes.  When you are prone, crap flies everywhere.  The "baffle" style brakes such as the Defensive Edge or Holland work much more efficiently and don't throw dirt, snow, etc.....  Hearing protection is mandatory and really should be used even with unbraked rifles.  For those of you that don't like brakes, thats a preference.  A braked 7RM with 180 Bergers at 3050 will recoil about like a 243.  You don't come off target whether it be 100yds or 1000yds and is much more pleasant to shoot.
R Bros Rifles
www.rbrosrifles.com

Offline wraithen

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 07:47:49 AM »
Does anyone make a brake that is able to turn it off? I like the idea of one but I was standing 45 degrees off of a guys 300 win mag with brake and didn't see the muzzle brake til it was too late. I was wearing hearing protection but I instantly got a headache and my insides felt like jello for a second. I'd rather be able to twist the brake and have it close and deal with the recoil if someone is next to me.
the head has been lopped of the eagle.our country has become a nation of losers,them that feed on the teet and can do no more than suckle from them that toil. ~ Rasbo

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »
I might suggest another avenue. You are going to spend some extra coin on a brake, and you are recoil sensitive.... You could do a 280 (which gives up very little inside 5-600 yds) and drop it in a mc swirly which is a bit heavier, but take a lot out of felt recoil (depending on shape choice). In the end, you will have a stock that is easy to sell, a rifle that kicks less while holding more and pitching pills at a good clip. You can get to the low end of 7mag velocities with the 280 but you can also back it way off too. If you brake your gun and feel it is not for you, the price of the brake is worth nothing in resale.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
if a 7mm is bruising your shoulder, hold it tighter, mine will bruise me if I hold it wrong.  If you still cant handle it, put a limb saver on it. 7mm doesnt kick that bad, even my hotloads are easy to shoot a box through in a sitting.

Offline deerslyr

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 03:05:02 PM »
Does anyone make a brake that is able to turn it off? I like the idea of one but I was standing 45 degrees off of a guys 300 win mag with brake and didn't see the muzzle brake til it was too late. I was wearing hearing protection but I instantly got a headache and my insides felt like jello for a second. I'd rather be able to twist the brake and have it close and deal with the recoil if someone is next to me.

Savage came up with a brake that you can twist on and off. The point of zero isnt affected either. I dont think it reduces recoil as much as most brakes but it sure makes a difference from what ive heard and the videos ive watched.

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 05:17:20 PM »
I have a 7mm that is Completely stock and have no muzzle rise to speak of and I can sit down and shoot 30-40 rounds through it in one setting no issues.

Yeah, but your screen name is Chuck Norris... doesn't mean that humans can do that... :dunno: :chuckle:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 05:25:13 PM »
Just asking....
Why not just get a lead sled...? It will dampen most of the recoil for sighting in or target shooting. That, and you'll never feel the recoil shooting at game without it anyway.
I have both a 7mag and a 300 wsm. and sight in with the sled..works great!  :twocents:

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »
Bruises happen true. But if you shoot from real life situations for exercise, sometimes rifle placement is not quite right and your shoulder ends up green. So who hasn't been bruised. I've even split my brow. It is part of the Mag life.

Offline halflife65

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2011, 12:11:50 AM »
I have a 7mm that is Completely stock and have no muzzle rise to speak of and I can sit down and shoot 30-40 rounds through it in one setting no issues.

Yeah, but your screen name is Chuck Norris... doesn't mean that humans can do that... :dunno: :chuckle:
He just bites down on the primer and launches the bullet through a straw.  He doesn't need any stinkin' rifle.

Offline 204chucknorris

• Team Maybe next time
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »

He just bites down on the primer and launches the bullet through a straw.  He doesn't need any stinkin' rifle.
Hahahahhahahaha that's pretty good. O trust me prior reloading the whole recoil ordeal was a little different. I have a buddy with a old 300wm that would flat hurt you in two shots! Not cool. I spent some excessive time cleaning it and now its reasonable to shoot. Just saying a clean as gun makes a huge difference. :IBCOOL:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 06:44:07 AM »
I use to shoot a 7mm before I purchased my 300 RUM. I loved the 7mm shot it for 5 years before I put a brake on it. The thing was loud as hell. I doubt I would ever get another brake.

I did notice lower recoil, but not worth the noise increase in my opinion.
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Offline jyerxa

• Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 03:37:09 PM »
Danggggg! All this talk and chat makes me feel like like my Remington 700 BDL is like a Kentucky Long rifle. Old!!!  :yike:

I'll keep it the way it is.  ;)

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2011, 08:45:19 AM »
All this being said; I have a 300 WBY Mag that I inherited from my dad.  If I were not worried about ruining it as a collector's item I would brake it.  I have restocked it, put a squishy recoil pad on it, and it's still not fun to shoot... :dunno:
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]