collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Jay Kehne- Commission Appointment  (Read 7309 times)

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Jay Kehne- Commission Appointment
« on: December 10, 2011, 05:07:54 PM »
I noticed Jay Kehne was affiliated with Conservation NW. By reading the Conservation NW website they did not seem hunter friendly and did not have any affiliations with any prominent hunting organizations despite the fact they claim to be a conservatoin organization. In addition, their stance on wolf ment seem far more pro-wolf. Anyway, I thought I'd take the liberty to email Conservation NW asking what their stance was on hunting and I got a reply...it just so happend to be from the newly appointed Jay Kehne. It should be noted that I did not ask anything about predator/wolf hunting but his resopnse seem to be tailored to that exact subject. Here's what he had to say:

Conservation Northwest supports science based wildlife management and fair chase hunting according to the laws of the state.  That's the short and simple of it.  When you consider all that is encompassed in that simple statement its a lot.  It means we support predator hunting when the laws of the state support that.  If we don't think a predator population should be hunted because the science does not support that we would work very hard to try and get those laws changed and to be based on science.  If we were not successful in changing those laws then we would still support them and whatever hunt is allowed by them.  Several of our members are avid hunters, so we are not your run of the mill, greeney environmental group that doesn't understand predator prey relationships or get out in the woods during hunting seasons.  We do believe hunters are a part of the equations, just like deer, elk, and predators.  All of it needs to be managed in todays world to be successful.  I hunt deer, and elk but not cougars or bears.  I have been on bear hunts but somewhere along the line I just decided to keep to the animals that I really like to eat and I'm not that fond of bear.  Hope this helps. 

Jay Kehne
Okanogan Outreach Associate
Conservation Northwest
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Jay Kehne- Commission Appointment
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 05:13:19 PM »
People need to remember that WDFW is the Dept of Fish and Wildlife, not Dept of Fishing and Hunting....

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
People need to remember that WDFW is the Dept of Fish and Wildlife, not Dept of Fishing and Hunting....

Which is a conflict of interests and hasn't been working out so well for us hunters and fisherman since the inception.   :twocents:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 05:44:56 PM »
which is a shame. Not an excuse...
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline billythekidrock

• Varmint
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »

Correct.
Which is why WDFW does not need hunters. They will always have fish and wildlife to manage with or without hunting.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 06:05:35 PM »

Correct.
Which is why WDFW does not need hunters. They will always have fish and wildlife to manage with or without hunting.

Wrong!
Hunter derived dollars are extremely important.  With out them it would be difficult to get PR dollars.  These two combined are greater than half the budget.  With out hunters they would depend on general fund dollars.  Not a lot of general fund dollars to go around.

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 06:10:40 PM »

Correct.

That's why they brought the wolves in, they dont want or need hunters anymore....

Offline yelp

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »

I wish they could seperate it...It would be more transparent to the public as to what funds what.  A department of fishing and hunting would not have a budget problem.  Fishers and Hunters in this state support more nongame management than they know. Lots of federal grants (majority of nongame management $ and fisheries) need matching state funds to initiate them and guess where a lot of those matching funds come from. :dunno:  I am sure some general, some taxes on the nonconsumptive users but a majority comes from sportsman. 

By the way,  I read in the Spokesman Review that Jay Kehne is a member of Mule deer Foundation and RMEF.

Derrick Knowles (Sp?) of Conservation Northwest was also on the wolf working group who helped  develop the wolf plan.
Wild Turkey, Walleyes, Whitetails and Wapiti..These are a few of my favorite things!!

Born to Yelp!
Short Hike Guide Service - Owner

Offline KillerMiller

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 06:52:11 PM »
Omak man named to Fish and Wildlife Commission

By K.C. Mehaffey
World staff writer

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Wenathcee World.

12/07/2011 Photo provided by Jay Kehne

Jay Kehne, an Omak hunter and conservationist, was appointed to fill a vacant seat on the state Fish and Wildlife Commission.

OLYMPIA — Jay Kehne, an Omak resident and outreach associate for Conservation Northwest, was appointed to the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, officials announced Wednesday.

Kehne, 57, was appointed by Gov. Chris Gregoire to serve a six-year term on the panel, which sets policy for the state Department of Fish and Wildlife.

“I’m excited,” Kehne said on Wednesday. “I’ve met several of the commission members, and for the most part, I think they do a good job.”

He said he appreciated their unanimous decision to approve the conservation plan for gray wolves, and is anxious to help the department implement the plan, such as finding funds to compensate ranchers who lose livestock to wolves.

12/07/2011 Photo provided by Jay Kehne

Jay Kehne, an Omak hunter and conservationist, was appointed to fill a vacant seat on the state Fish and Wildlife Commission.

A hunter and conservationist, Kehne said he’s also excited to learn about some of the other fish and wildlife policies, from salmon to crabbing.

Kehne spent 31 years working for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service, and is a member of both the Rocky Mountain Elk and Mule Deer foundations.

He was appointed to one of three seats on the nine-member panel reserved for Eastern Washington. Three others are reserved for Western Washington residents, and three can come from anywhere in the state.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 07:06:21 PM »

I wish they could seperate it...It would be more transparent to the public as to what funds what.  A department of fishing and hunting would not have a budget problem.  Fishers and Hunters in this state support more nongame management than they know. Lots of federal grants (majority of nongame management $ and fisheries) need matching state funds to initiate them and guess where a lot of those matching funds come from. :dunno:  I am sure some general, some taxes on the nonconsumptive users but a majority comes from sportsman. 

By the way,  I read in the Spokesman Review that Jay Kehne is a member of Mule deer Foundation and RMEF.

Derrick Knowles (Sp?) of Conservation Northwest was also on the wolf working group who helped  develop the wolf plan.
Exactely ...and we do not need this wolf lover trying to help us !!!! :bash: :bash: :sry:

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 07:12:23 PM »
I think I recall Conservation NW being very supportive of I-655.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »
"All of it needs to be managed in todays world to be successful.  I hunt deer, and elk but not cougars or bears.  I have been on bear hunts but somewhere along the line I just decided to keep to the animals that I really like to eat and I'm not that fond of bear. " J-K
Believe it or not i think this says it all. I may not hunt bear or cougar specifically, however i understand the need to manage them. With dwindling numbers of deer and elk i would think more conservation minded hunter SHOULD specifically target bear, cougar, and coyote especailly given the severe restrictions in place. I have been thinking that I should ONLY buy bear and cougar tags because there are more now, AND the game needs some relief.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline asl20bball

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
"All of it needs to be managed in todays world to be successful.  I hunt deer, and elk but not cougars or bears.  I have been on bear hunts but somewhere along the line I just decided to keep to the animals that I really like to eat and I'm not that fond of bear. " J-K
Believe it or not i think this says it all. I may not hunt bear or cougar specifically, however i understand the need to manage them. With dwindling numbers of deer and elk i would think more conservation minded hunter SHOULD specifically target bear, cougar, and coyote especailly given the severe restrictions in place. I have been thinking that I should ONLY buy bear and cougar tags because there are more now, AND the game needs some relief.  :twocents:

:yeah:
Take up your bow, a quiver full of arrows, head out to the country and hunt some wild game.  GEN 27:3

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 07:29:16 PM »
I would also say that if looked up what some of the wing nut eco freaks say about him... They are extremely happy about his appointment. You might think twice. If some DOW freak is uber happy it makes me suspect. :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 07:41:25 PM »
Lots of hunters don't help hunting.  I'm afraid Kehne is one.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter