collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who Shoots an O/U, which one? Why?  (Read 23081 times)

Offline Stilly bay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • ELITIST WEST SIDE DITCH PARROT HUNTER
Re: Who Shoots an O/U, which one? Why?
« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:31 PM »

[/quote]

I'm currently customizing a 5 3/4lb 16ga sidelock beautifully engraved hammer gun that is going to be my skeet/grouse gun.  It was 6 lbs even, but I shaved off the pistol grip and cheek piece, hollowed out the stock a bit, and converted it to a straight grip.  It has 30" open choked steel barrels, is lightning quick, and points like a wand.  They are out there, and they're not all expensive either.  If you would consider a hammer gun, drop me a pm.  I think I know where I can find you one.
[/quote]

how bout some pics
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »

Offline TwoSixFourWins

• Critter Gitter
  • Scout
« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2012, 05:29:17 PM »
Ruger Red Label 20 gauge. Patterns well and swings like a dream. Lots of choke options
Bang...Flop......No tracking required.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2012, 05:37:46 AM »

how bout some pics

:yeah:

I'd be happy to, but I may be submitting it in an article to the Double Gun Journal, so I'd rather not post pics online just yet.  Feel free to pm me for some.  I'm lengthening the trigger guard tang and having it engraved to match, I still have to blue the barrels, and I'm adding intricately painted leaves, vines, birds/dog over a silver leaf base on the upper third of the comb and through the wrist, to mimic the deep relief leaf engraving on the side plates.   I've never seen this done before, and if it turns out well, it's going to be my show piece (I do this for a living).   You can see some of my other before/after pics at www.marklarsongunart.com.    Thanks!

Online CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2012, 06:50:47 AM »
This will be my upland gun next season, at least sometimes. 

1914 Sterlingworth Fox – 12g.  The forearm wood isn’t original, I might replace that with something slimmer.  But it’s a fine handling gun and I’ve cooked up some bismuth loads for it.  Shoots great and can really reach out on touch them.

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:26 PM »

how bout some pics

I'd be happy to, but I may be submitting it in an article to the Double Gun Journal, so I'd rather not post pics online just yet.  Feel free to pm me for some.  I'm lengthening the trigger guard tang and having it engraved to match, I still have to blue the barrels, and I'm adding intricately painted leaves, vines, birds/dog over a silver leaf base on the upper third of the comb and through the wrist, to mimic the deep relief leaf engraving on the side plates.   I've never seen this done before, and if it turns out well, it's going to be my show piece (I do this for a living).   You can see some of my other before/after pics at www.marklarsongunart.com.    Thanks!

I have looked through your website numerous times! you are truly an artist, absolutely amazing work .
"Love the dogs before loving the hunt; love the hunt for the dogs." - Ben O. Williams

“It is easy to forget that in the main we die only seven times more slowly than our dogs.”
― Jim Harrison

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2012, 05:59:39 PM »

how bout some pics

I have looked through your website numerous times! you are truly an artist, absolutely amazing work .

Thank you!

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2012, 06:02:42 PM »
This will be my upland gun next season, at least sometimes. 

1914 Sterlingworth Fox – 12g.  The forearm wood isn’t original, I might replace that with something slimmer.  But it’s a fine handling gun and I’ve cooked up some bismuth loads for it.  Shoots great and can really reach out on touch them.

Lovely!  You could order a replacement splinter forearm from several stock duplicators online (probably about $30) and have it refinished and re-checkered.  Pretty simple.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 09:41:06 PM »
Stilly Bay,

Thanks for the PM and lead on the spanish boxlock in 16 GA! Just couldn't swing it right now but I am going to stay in the game for both a new pointer and a small gauge double.

One of my hunting partners is looking for a 16 GA double but he prefers a single trigger.

Duster, I think I will stay away from a hammer gun ... thanks for the consideration!   :yeah:

"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2012, 08:20:30 PM »
Ruger Red Label in 12ga.

back in the early 80's I saw a RRL that had custom barrels fitted in 308 Winchester. I figured if the action was that strong it would last.
20,000+ mixed shotgun rounds later the action still locks up as tight as when I bought it.
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2012, 05:45:39 PM »
I've lived just outside Atlanta now for almost 5 years, but my heart and my home will always be in the Northwest.  With that said, if you want a traditional double gun it won't be an O/U.  Traditional shotguns in the U.S. for hunting upland birds are classic American SxS's like the LC Smiths, Parkers, Ithaca's, Fox's, etc.  It could easily be argued that traditional upland hunting began down here in the south hunting quail on family farms off horseback with a mule drawn carriage with an American SxS in your hand.  Simply put, there is nothing more classic then an American SxS in American upland hunting...   O/U's aren't really classic shotguns IMO.

Now, with that said, I love O/U's.  My go to gun is a Beretta 686 White Onyx 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels.  Its been great on wild quail, planted quail, planted pheasants, and late season December South Dakota roosters.  I prefer a 20 guage just because its so much lighter then a 12 gauge, and IMO there isn't enough difference in killing power to pack around a 12 gauge all day.  Ive also found that for me, the third shot from a pump or semi doesn't mean too much.  I tend to quick shoot the first shot from my 870 12 gauge before I settle down on the last two shots, essentialy wasting a shot.  There has been one or two times hunting pheasants in SD that I was glad I was carrying my 870 that I grew up with, but there has been a lot more times I was glad I was carrying my much lighter 686.  My 686 with 1 oz of 4 shot at about 1300 FPS through a mod choke is pure death on late season wild pheasants..  You simply don't need anything more then that...... 

If you really want a classic gun, it has to by a SxS.  There is a reason the American classic Elsie's, Parkers, Fox's, etc are so expensive.  But, a lot of guys can't get the sight picture down on a SxS, and they prefer a single barrel sighting plane.  I don't shoot SxS's as well as my O/U, but my next gun will most likely be a SxS AYA 453 from Cabelas in 20 gauge with 29 inch barrels.  Or possibly an AYA #2 Round Body in 20 gauge with 28 or 29 inch barrels.   I absolutely LOVE the #2 RB, and IMO its the best bang for the buck for a really nice sidelock that steps up a lot in quality.  However, at a starting price of about $5500 new, I won't have a #2 in my hands anytime soon. 

As far as double's go, everyone has their favorites, but I really like Berettas.  IMO Ruger Red Labels are WAY to heavy and not nearly the quality of a Beretta or Browning.   Brownings IMO are a little bigger and heavier then the Berettas, and the just don't feel right in my hands.  But they are a quality gun.  IMO the best value in O/U's is probably Mirokus.  They built guns for Charles Dailys, Brownings, and they also sold guns with just the Miroku name.  They can often be found for under $1000 and they are built with the same quality, or better, then guns that are twice as expensive.  I would say they are easily equal to the Beretta 686 line of guns, just not as pretty....  My all time favorite O/U though is Conneticut Shotgun Manufacturing's new A-10.  My Father in Law bought one in 20 gauge with a English stock and double triggers.  Im not a fan of the stock or double triggers on an O/U, but besides that... WOW!!!!  What an absolutely gorgeous and wonderfully swinging gun.

Offline Phantom Gobbler

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
JJ, Nice summary of doubles.

A friend of ours inherited two LC Smiths (12 and 20 Gauges) from his grandfather and they are beauts!!   His GF was frugal in most things, but he sure had eye for quality doubles.  One of the guns was retrofitted with Westley Richards Barrels!   :drool:
"When a wild turkey vanishes, after seeing a man, depend on it, bank on it, he's gone." - Archibald Rutledge

Shine Box Turkey Calls Pro Staff

Offline Stilly bay

• Sourdough
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2012, 10:31:43 PM »
I've lived just outside Atlanta now for almost 5 years, but my heart and my home will always be in the Northwest.  With that said, if you want a traditional double gun it won't be an O/U.  Traditional shotguns in the U.S. for hunting upland birds are classic American SxS's like the LC Smiths, Parkers, Ithaca's, Fox's, etc.  It could easily be argued that traditional upland hunting began down here in the south hunting quail on family farms off horseback with a mule drawn carriage with an American SxS in your hand.  Simply put, there is nothing more classic then an American SxS in American upland hunting...   O/U's aren't really classic shotguns IMO.

Now, with that said, I love O/U's.  My go to gun is a Beretta 686 White Onyx 20 gauge with 28 inch barrels.  Its been great on wild quail, planted quail, planted pheasants, and late season December South Dakota roosters.  I prefer a 20 guage just because its so much lighter then a 12 gauge, and IMO there isn't enough difference in killing power to pack around a 12 gauge all day.  Ive also found that for me, the third shot from a pump or semi doesn't mean too much.  I tend to quick shoot the first shot from my 870 12 gauge before I settle down on the last two shots, essentialy wasting a shot.  There has been one or two times hunting pheasants in SD that I was glad I was carrying my 870 that I grew up with, but there has been a lot more times I was glad I was carrying my much lighter 686.  My 686 with 1 oz of 4 shot at about 1300 FPS through a mod choke is pure death on late season wild pheasants..  You simply don't need anything more then that...... 

If you really want a classic gun, it has to by a SxS.  There is a reason the American classic Elsie's, Parkers, Fox's, etc are so expensive.  But, a lot of guys can't get the sight picture down on a SxS, and they prefer a single barrel sighting plane.  I don't shoot SxS's as well as my O/U, but my next gun will most likely be a SxS AYA 453 from Cabelas in 20 gauge with 29 inch barrels.  Or possibly an AYA #2 Round Body in 20 gauge with 28 or 29 inch barrels.   I absolutely LOVE the #2 RB, and IMO its the best bang for the buck for a really nice sidelock that steps up a lot in quality.  However, at a starting price of about $5500 new, I won't have a #2 in my hands anytime soon. 

As far as double's go, everyone has their favorites, but I really like Berettas.  IMO Ruger Red Labels are WAY to heavy and not nearly the quality of a Beretta or Browning.   Brownings IMO are a little bigger and heavier then the Berettas, and the just don't feel right in my hands.  But they are a quality gun.  IMO the best value in O/U's is probably Mirokus.  They built guns for Charles Dailys, Brownings, and they also sold guns with just the Miroku name.  They can often be found for under $1000 and they are built with the same quality, or better, then guns that are twice as expensive.  I would say they are easily equal to the Beretta 686 line of guns, just not as pretty....  My all time favorite O/U though is Conneticut Shotgun Manufacturing's new A-10.  My Father in Law bought one in 20 gauge with a English stock and double triggers.  Im not a fan of the stock or double triggers on an O/U, but besides that... WOW!!!!  What an absolutely gorgeous and wonderfully swinging gun.

well played sir... I like your style. :tup:

someday an AYA #2 RB 20 gauge with 30" bbls will find its way into my gun safe. sure they are spendy but you only go around once. they are sure as heck a lot more obtainable than a purdey of similar build.

― Jim Harrison

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10