collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: how about Elk outfitters to AVOID and the Good ones who do it right NEW EDIT  (Read 5166 times)

Offline Rocky Mtn Fever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
   :bash:This post isnt working out how i imagined it. I was hoping that through the members here we could find great outfitter and ones to avoid....it seems to be turning into a pissing contest w/ a few individuals which i'm not interested in.
  Granted every person has his idea of what his dream hunt is and what it worth to him. I'm not here to argue or have something i wrote taken out of context,etc.
Personally i expect to get a opportunity at a bull if i pay 5,000 for a 6 day hunt and i will be fit, able to shoot 400yards with confidence, hike all day long and go where i'm best able to get my animal.
Others might not share the same feeling. Their main objective was to get away from the family, male bonding, it sounded like fun etc.
  I personally like to go on outfitted hunts because you can "usually" kill bigger bulls, hunt private property were animals are not pressured
and learn under the experience of a true elk expert most the time.
So let the post be what you want.Im done..Id remove it but it wont let me.... yes i edited down to this from what it was so comments made might not pertain. Enjoy!
An outfitter id avoid is Elk Range Outfitters in Montana cause he lied about everything(housing,acres leased, type hunts,hunting while a rancher removes a 1000 cattle off the 3,000 acres you spend 900.00 a day to hunt, guides experience etc.) and had little to and game on his leases, he was missing 2 of the 6 days, unorganized and worthless. I felt i could have done better on my own on public land. Seeing's how we saw one bull ( for a combined 360 hours of hunting his leases).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:36:18 AM by Rocky Mtn Fever »

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
Re: how about Elk outfitters to AVOID
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 11:49:13 PM »
ive never hunted with them, but i would avoid thunderbow outfitters in mt.. they day use our area. ive noticed them using radios to direct hunters. talked to one of their clients. said he wounded a buck but the guide type didnt wanna go look for it. they found another deer, but the hunter wouldnt shoot it, and the guide got all pissed off.. that and they have a bad habit of waiting till the last min to get off the trail when thye see a pack string coming.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Gutpile

• Gaseous horribulous stinkusis
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/mark.farrell.142?ref=tn_tnmn
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 05:31:27 AM »
i had the ultimate hunt from hell for only 5,000.....

care to elaborate? What happened? Who'd you use?

Y.A.R. Gold Member

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 06:34:59 AM »
Swift Creek outfitters in Wyoming and eastern Idaho. Crooked as a dogs hind leg. One of their guides was taking their clients across the state line from Idaho into Wyoming with Idaho tags because the bulls were still up high. The outfitters dad had done time for this exact same practice years before, we found this out later. They joined another outfitter in wyoming 'Teton Horseback Adventures'. I had looked at this same outfitter that same year at a sportsman show. When I contacted the Wyoming outfitters association they were after them for guiding without an outfitter license. I guess birds of a feather. BEWARE!
"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline WDFW Hates ME!!!

• Sourdough
*censored* happens when you party naked!!!

IBEW Local 125

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2008, 11:03:06 AM »
i checked out that link.  looks like they give ISO a pretty good rating.

Offline Ridgerunner

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »
I hunted with swift creek in 95 for deer, wasnt the best experience I could have had but it definately wasn't bad, no lines were crossed.

Offline BENCHLEG

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
never used a guid . but im a poor  guy with a family .good luck to all . i hope to contribute in the future. new to this site , when im comfortable i will share  pics of kills and more sheds than you can handle . good luck to all.

Offline Rocky Mtn Fever

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 08:13:32 PM »
i had the ultimate hunt from hell for only 5,000.....

care to elaborate? What happened? Who'd you use?
see above

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »
im proud and pleased to see and say that any review i have seen on the web regarding Indian Summer Outfitters has been glowing and most positive, even the ones who did not get game.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 03:30:37 PM »
im proud and pleased to see and say that any review i have seen on the web regarding Indian Summer Outfitters has been glowing and most positive, even the ones who did not get game.

I'm quite sure had you crossed the line or given someone on here a lousy hunt we would have heard about it by now. Its always nice to have a few guides to be able to give a different perspective on things. I wish Outfitter would post a little more, he seemed like a nice guy as well.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2008, 03:34:05 PM »
even if there was a bad hunt, dont think it would be on here. most of our hunters come from michigan or pa.

Offline Rocky Mtn Fever

• Tracker
Re: how about Elk outfitters to AVOID and the Good ones who do it right
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2008, 09:02:18 PM »
i was really hoping to hear from someone who had a great experience.....you always see the hunting shows and guided hunts but that isnt reality its a bunch of editing...
 I think the best guided elk hunts are know in the Canadian Rockies and for 5,000 you can hunt 1 x 1 for 7 days on horse on miilions of leased wilderenss w/ a rifle during the RUT....beats hunting in Most states were they know are trying  in certain areas to get 7,500 for a 6 day hunt and if 1 0f 6 gets a bull it deemed sucessfull.....Yes its a general statement but if 6 guys spend 30,000 for a hunt that only gives one guy a shot at a bull and no one else has an opportunity is that success to me its not. I know they (outfitters) cant work miracles  and its hunting not a slaughter house....just tell me the truth when i ask questions and not embelish your stories. Im not asking for 6 dead 400 inch bulls just an opportunity better then i could do on my own. Like providing private land that holds bulls, knowing the area and elk well enough to put me in position for an opportunity. That not asking much for 5,000. i understand it wont happen every time but the odd should be approx 90% at a opportunity to take an animal.....and if the hunter is fat, cant walk a mile , drinking till 2am then all bets are off. You get out of it what you put into it...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 01:40:36 PM by Rocky Mtn Fever »

Offline Opportunist

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2008, 11:18:16 PM »
After going on a guided hunt with my dad and other friends multiple bad outfitter experiences, I'm pretty soured to the whole guided hunt experience. I have and will use outfitters for drop camps and for meat packing but that's about it. If I had drawn my eastside elk permit this year I would have hired out a drop camp, but no draw for me.

"Deer season is just a scouting trip for my next elk hunt"

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2008, 11:23:08 PM »
If any of you are looking for a outfitter that busts his ars I can recommend Bill Mitchell without hesitation. My buddy and I have had nothing but positive experiences with him and his wife, super people.

http://www.billmitchelloutfitters.com/
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal