collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho moose help  (Read 12599 times)

Offline bcrawford

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Idaho moose help
« on: July 13, 2007, 09:22:34 AM »
 I was lucky enough to draw a unit 3 moose tag this year. I am heading out for my first weekend scouting trip. This is my first time hunting moose and I am looking for any helpfull tips. Anything will help. thanks

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
Re: Idaho moose help
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 09:47:51 AM »
Don't be surprised if you don't see any on your scouting trip.  They HATE the heat.  They will most certainly be near water.  This time of year they mostly eat water vegatation.  Pay close attention to drainages running or facing east, and north slopes.  I haven't spent much time in 3, but I would stick to the northern part of the uni, or most specifically to the east of Hayden.  Thats where most of the public land is anyway. I would take a gander at the country around the North Fork Cour de' lene and on Monumental, Badger, echo, and spades.  Chilco used to have alot of coutry that was roadless.  Let me know if oyu are interested in a traditional birchbark call.  I make them for pretty darn cheap, and I have some limitied supplies left.  I beleive they are way better than the plastic ones, and I have calld in a TON of moose with them.  Have a fun scouting trip

Offline bcrawford

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »
thank you, I am pulling out in a 1/2 hour for the 6 1/2 hour trip.  I was thinking of spending some time in the SE portion along the small lakes But I will take some time on the North side. I thank you again, I will get back with you when I get home on the call.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 10:58:21 AM »
Have Fun!

Offline bcrawford

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
well I made it back. I seen 9 all together 2 bulls 3 cows 4 calfs. It is very brushy, (and I am coming from western wa) I am wondering how well they respond to calls. I think there are tons of moose there by looking at the sign.  I am hoping to get them looking for me a little bit will help out when it come time to hunt. also any standard way of judging antler size? somthing like deer?

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 08:23:20 PM »
You did better than me.  On my scouting trip to 12-2 I saw 4 moose...small bull, cow, calf, and big unknown dark furry moosey object.  All the moose I saw were in lakes or in a river...  Not sure where they will be come September... 

Shawn

Offline bcrawford

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2007, 12:15:15 PM »
I seen the bulls up higher and the cows and calfs in the road? how receptive are they to calls? where I was at your not going to find many glassing for them it was very thick and I am from western, Wa

Offline popeshawnpaul

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
    • http://www.facebook.com/smccully
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2007, 12:25:04 PM »
I am told they are very receptive to calling if at the right time.  My area will lend itself to some glassing for them in basins, but not a lot.  My other plan is to work with the archery hunters that are in the area all through September.  I guess they spot moose and report it to the moose hunters so you can get an idea where a big bull may be.  I'm going to stop and talk to every archery hunter I can to get to know these individuals.  It will help a lot if I got tons of hunters out there scouting for me and finding my moose.  I've heard stories about archery elk/deer hunters leaving notes on the tent or camper of a moose hunter that they saw a huge bull up so and so canyon.  That person then went in and got the moose that was spotted.  I'm told once a big one is in the area, he generally stays in that area for some time making this strategy possible.  Good luck.

shawn

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2007, 12:34:04 PM »
PSP's area is a little more open then up in the Panhandle.  They are very receptive to calling.  Its about the only way unless you road hunt, which I abhore, or wait until November when the leaves drop.  The last two are strategies many guys use.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2007, 12:39:04 PM »
as for field judging....I gave this lecture to PSP already, but if you are after score, you have to have two forked brows.  If not, your bulls score will tank.  Shiras are not known for their webbing or palm, so if you see really good palms, you are in great shape.  I thik this is more important than spread.  Shiras are known for longer points.  these don't count for crap in the scoring systems.  Unless you have an EXCEPTIONAL bull, if you see long points beware of the lack of palm.  Spread is to each his own.   That thick country you are in, you have a very short time to field judge and its usually at 30 feet or less.  ALLLLLL bull moose look big at that distance.  I shot my Idaho bull at point blank range, and he looked way bigger in person standing over me, than he did with me standing over him.....of coure until I had to ahul him out, then he looked big again. ;)

Offline bcrawford

• Tracker
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
thanks, I think this year is going to be great 5 states and 14 apps i was able to pull 2 tags. In one week I have got more info and ideas on this site than all of the others combined. this is my new home. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2007, 07:13:34 PM »
Any more scouting trips?

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »
the nice thing about the panhandle is fall only lasts a few weeks....the brush will lose its leaves and visiblity goes way up. when is your season?

Offline bcrawford

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 07:00:24 AM »
October 1-14. 48 days

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 07:36:30 AM »
If this weather keeps up, I think their rut will start earlier this year than norm.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]