collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: WDFW NEWS RELEASE: Meetings - draft northeast Washington elk management plan  (Read 2761 times)

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/
January 13, 2012

Three meetings slated on draft northeast
Washington elk management plan

SPOKANE-A draft plan for managing elk in northeast Washington will be the subject of three public meetings Jan. 26- Feb. 2.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is holding the meetings to discuss and take public comment on the plan, which has been revised in response to hunter input regarding elk numbers in northeast Washington.

The proposed elk management plan is referred to as the "Selkirk Elk Herd Plan" because it includes elk in the Selkirk Mountains of Pend Oreille County. Under the plan, the elk are considered as two distinct sub-herds-the Pend Oreille sub-herd and the Spokane sub-herd. The plan covers elk management in Pend Oreille, Spokane, Stevens, Ferry, Lincoln, Whitman, and eastern Okanogan counties of northeast Washington (Game Management Units 101 - 142 and 204.)

The meetings will take place from 7-9 p.m., on the following schedule:

•   Jan. 26, at the Okanogan County Public Utility District (PUD) #1  Main Office, 1331 2nd Ave. N., in Okanogan.
•   Feb. 1, at Center Place, 2426 N. Discovery Place, in Spokane Valley.
•   Feb. 2, at the Northeast Washington Fairgrounds Building, 317 W. Astor Ave. in Colville.

Sportsmen's groups and others have long expressed an interest in elk numbers in some parts of northeast Washington, said Kevin Robinette, WDFW's regional wildlife manager in Spokane.

"We have managed elk in this part of the state-where elk groups are small and scattered-with liberal hunting rules to keep elk numbers low and minimize agricultural damage," Robinette said. "But we have heard from hunters that they want to see more elk."

Robinette said game managers are trying to address hunters' interest through the proposed plan, which should result in greater elk numbers by shifting from 'any elk' hunting seasons to restrictions on antlerless elk hunting in the Pend Oreille sub-herd areas, including units 101, 105, 108, 121 and  204.

"If agricultural damage problems should arise, we would address them through a variety of tools we use throughout the state," Robinette said.

The draft plan is available for review at http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/01350/ , where a link provides opportunity to submit comments through Feb. 10.

The elk plan must be finalized before changes in Selkirk elk hunting seasons and regulations could be made. The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission is scheduled to review proposed new hunt rules in March and to consider adoption in April. If adopted, those rules would become part of 2012-14 state hunting rules package.

Offline sebek556

• Frontiersman
 :dunno: I'll have to give this one some thought.. with wolve pressure kicking in though probably would not be a bad idea as long as we dont go spike only.. but then again I think harvest numbers for these areas a normaly low.. have to do some research

Offline go4itlab

• Scout
I 2nd  :yeah:. A good quite sit down and read, then a bit to digest.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
This has been a point of contention for many years here.  Glad to hear they are finally listening to hunters on at least a few subjects.  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Didn't see any times mentioned on those meeting dates. I know the Okanogan meeting is from 7-9 pm.

Offline huntrights

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough

Didn't see any times mentioned on those meeting dates. I know the Okanogan meeting is from 7-9 pm.

"The meetings will take place from 7-9 p.m., on the following schedule:

•   Jan. 26, at the Okanogan County Public Utility District (PUD) #1  Main Office, 1331 2nd Ave. N., in Okanogan.
•   Feb. 1, at Center Place, 2426 N. Discovery Place, in Spokane Valley.
•   Feb. 2, at the Northeast Washington Fairgrounds Building, 317 W. Astor Ave. in Colville."

It appears the times for all the meetings are from 7-9 p.m.  You can check their web site or call to verify.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Sorry, I missed that. :tup:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
May have to attend this. I wish more was done in some of the units to build elk herds. I do not support spike only in these units. escapement is good here and anyone who has hunted these units knows how thick and rugged these units are

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal