collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 342 muzzleloader cow tag  (Read 3241 times)

Offline Bubba

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
GMU 342 muzzleloader cow tag
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:45:11 PM »
Our camp has 3 cow tags for this area what luck.  We have not hunted this area so any help on where to start looking would be great. Is it better to look high or low, in the timber or the sage? Also any good water off the main roads.  We like to get out and walk off the roads and is there any good gated roads to take out the old mountain bike.  We will be going out for the first look arount the area the weekend of the 28th. Any help woudl be great. Thanks Bubba

Slenk

Re: GMU 342 muzzleloader cow tag
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 07:09:57 PM »
[quote author=Bubba
Our camp has 3 cow tags for this area what luck.  We have not hunted this area so any help on where to start looking would be great. Is it better to look high or low, in the timber or the sage? Also any good water off the main roads.  We like to get out and walk off the roads and is there any good gated roads to take out the old mountain bike.  We will be going out for the first look arount the area the weekend of the 28th. Any help woudl be great. Thanks Bubba
[/quote]
Ihave live in this area all my life . Depending on the year where you will find Elk . Muzzleloader season can be hot and dry here , mid 80s lots of years . There are some timberd draws where you can find elk in the sage even in hot weather . You will be best looking on north slopes and up pretty high in the timber . Lots of water if you know where to find it . Not much in gated roads for mountain bikes ,a lot of Green Dot roads and some Forest Service roads . And NO Driving Off Road!!!!!!!!
Get some of the Game Deptment Green Dot maps if you can . Also forest Service maps of th area.
Slenk

Offline kirkl

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • USN Veteran- USS Nimitz CVN 68
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 07:32:36 AM »
I live in this unit and hunt it. i would concentrate on the north end if its hot, up by milk canyon and that area.  At that time of the year you might be able to pull one right out of the feeding station, there is always a few that hang down in there. I scouted with a guy last year for arcery and there was a bull bugling right down in there with a bunch of cows. I bet you could pull a couple out of there. If you want directions for the feeding station let me know. Are you scouting August 28th or july 28th. I wont be around july 28th but will after that if you need any help.

Offline Bubba

• Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 08:07:37 AM »
Thanks kirkl, I will be there on the 28th of this month. I will let you know what I find. And yes any help you have would be great.

Bubba

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull