collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pics of your backcountry camp  (Read 284963 times)

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: Pics of your backcountry camp
« Reply #600 on: December 31, 2019, 11:32:23 AM »
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #601 on: December 31, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
How's it for packing, and do you use with a stove?

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #602 on: December 31, 2019, 11:59:05 AM »
Name

Seek outside cimarron

I just picked one of these up too and look forward to using it this summer and hopefully fall
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #603 on: December 31, 2019, 01:08:40 PM »
How's it for packing, and do you use with a stove?

Packing is a breeze.  in it's factory bag it packs to roughly the size of a size 3 soccer ball or two Nalgene bottles.  Cant really think of a better comparison.

I have used a stove in it and it works like you'd expect.

I bought a medium wifi stove but received a large one instead.  Instead of returning I just decided to keep the large body and run it.  During a test run, I ran the stove wide open to see what kind of temps I would get.  Outside temp was 28 degrees that day.  Temp at the top of the tent you can see below. 
When actually camping in it, I clearly would not let the stove run that hot or I would vent the tent, because that is a very uncomfortable temperature to camp in, dries clothes in no time.  :chuckle:
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #604 on: December 31, 2019, 01:30:27 PM »
Nice.  I have an 8 man and the SXL.  Good sizing, but too large to pack by myself.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #605 on: December 31, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
I was contemplating between that and the courthouse.   Basically looking for a lightweight wall tent, or a tent I can put a stove in.   We hit some sub zero temps when camping with the Mrs, and I'd like to make it more comfortable for her.   My wall tent is just too big. 

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #606 on: December 31, 2019, 02:10:56 PM »
8 man SO and SXL stove. 

I haven't tried it in sub zero temps.  I wish it was, but it was raining and snowing mix (mostly rain), and I hadn't worked out the stove yet. 

When it worked, it was warm and relatively dry.  I had issues with the spark arrestor screen clogging, causing poor draft and smokey tent.  When it didn't work, it was a smokey, damp mess (with two young kids).  I think I might try the Kifaru spark arrestor design, which screens can be removed as necessary without removing the pipe on a hot stove.  In retrospect, I could have likely made it work by removing the screen, but the stove was already burning.

And it is a bit large to pack, unless you were a party of three or more, to spread out the weight and bulk. 

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #607 on: January 02, 2020, 10:11:32 AM »
8 man SO and SXL stove. 

I haven't tried it in sub zero temps.  I wish it was, but it was raining and snowing mix (mostly rain), and I hadn't worked out the stove yet. 

When it worked, it was warm and relatively dry.  I had issues with the spark arrestor screen clogging, causing poor draft and smokey tent.  When it didn't work, it was a smokey, damp mess (with two young kids).  I think I might try the Kifaru spark arrestor design, which screens can be removed as necessary without removing the pipe on a hot stove.  In retrospect, I could have likely made it work by removing the screen, but the stove was already burning.

And it is a bit large to pack, unless you were a party of three or more, to spread out the weight and bulk.

I have had horrible luck with spark arrestors. I have tested several stoves from several manufactures and I have found the spark arrestors to be crappy nearly all the time. They get plugged with creosote and create massive smoke issues. Unless it is absolutely necessary I.E. illegal not to have them, I would not use one. Also, there is a tip to use a small spring and clip that puts pressure on the damper rod which allows for better control of the damper. Those titanium stoves are a bit finicky but once you figure them out they are pretty awesome! 
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #608 on: January 02, 2020, 10:35:33 AM »
I recently bought a cimarron and am getting a stove jack put in this spring. For those of you who have ran multiple stoves, what is your favorite as far as best bang for your buck. This season will be a test run to see how well I like this type of camping in multiple conditions so I don't really want to drop a huge amount of money but also don't want a hunk of junk.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #609 on: January 02, 2020, 11:04:36 AM »
8 man SO and SXL stove. 

I have had horrible luck with spark arrestors. I have tested several stoves from several manufactures and I have found the spark arrestors to be crappy nearly all the time. They get plugged with creosote and create massive smoke issues. Unless it is absolutely necessary I.E. illegal not to have them, I would not use one. Also, there is a tip to use a small spring and clip that puts pressure on the damper rod which allows for better control of the damper. Those titanium stoves are a bit finicky but once you figure them out they are pretty awesome! 

I rate this as great advice.  It was my first time out with the stove, and I used duraflame logs, since it was expected to be wet wet wet.  I think it would have worked out, had I been able to remove the spark arrestor.  But since it was internal to the stove pipe coupler/damper it wasn't possible until too late.

The kifaru design has two spark screens which can be removed externally.  I think a design that put the damper (with spring tensioner as noted) upstream of those two externally-removable spark screens would be an optimal design, all considered.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #610 on: January 02, 2020, 01:05:47 PM »
I recently bought a cimarron and am getting a stove jack put in this spring. For those of you who have ran multiple stoves, what is your favorite as far as best bang for your buck. This season will be a test run to see how well I like this type of camping in multiple conditions so I don't really want to drop a huge amount of money but also don't want a hunk of junk.

Look at LiteOutdoors. I would provide a link but I was told I cant do that unless I become a sponsor. Anything from SEEK is a solid option too.
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #611 on: January 02, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »

Look at LiteOutdoors. I would provide a link but I was told I cant do that unless I become a sponsor. Anything from SEEK is a solid option too.

will do thank you

Offline Brushcrawler

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Scout
« Reply #612 on: January 03, 2020, 02:44:57 PM »
Love my bivy bag. Small, light, but not very comfortable when it pours. I add a small tarp for those nights. Then I wish I packed a real tent.
There is not enough wilderness left in the world, or in the hearts of men.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #613 on: January 06, 2020, 12:18:32 PM »
LOL

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #614 on: January 15, 2020, 07:33:14 PM »
Elkpack, Do you pack your "Hot" tent set up by yourself?  Is the tent and stove too heavy for one guy to carry?  Looks like a nice setup.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]