collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pics of your backcountry camp  (Read 284501 times)

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
Re: Pics of your backcountry camp
« Reply #525 on: September 25, 2018, 02:48:42 PM »
Entiat Glacier trail 1400.    Lots of rain then a freezing nite sat.

Cool camp spot. But if you want to camp there again, you might remove the name of the trail 8) :tup:

Well said. But.  I'm not going back there for a hunt.  Maybe as a hiker only

Might not be a bad idea to think about others then and not post it for the world to see.

:twocents:

I'm kind of torn on this. Could be a first time hunters sees this post and gets then started in the right direction. I see both sides of this one.

Guy sees this post and then reads that the OP is not going to go back there. Hmm, common sense would tell you there is a reason for that. If it was a great spot I'm sure he would have been a bit more secretive.

I hate all the "Hush Hush" that goes on for no real logical reason. So, if I take a picture in Washington state should I just not put that it's here so as not to entice others to hunt in the state too? So silly.

It's my every hunters decision on where he wants to hunt and if he wants to share that information. If you happen to hunt the same area well, I guess them is the breaks. At some point somebody likely shared that information with you too. It's been my experience that when a hunter finds a honey hole they typically don't share that information. So, if a guy posts on a public forum his exact location and says he is not going back I would say it is safe to assume it's not some secret jackpot spot. 

Now, back to seeing cool pictures of backcountry camps! Here is one from a shed hunting trip this year. SHHHHH it was in WASHINGTON.

Or maybe he put a trail on there to throw off people?

Or maybe he entered that way but went offtrail? It’s not like he put gps coordinates.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #526 on: September 25, 2018, 06:40:52 PM »
From a late august scouting trip, didn't work out for animals the view was nice

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #527 on: September 25, 2018, 08:43:25 PM »

Cool camp spot. But if you want to camp there again, you might remove the name of the trail 8) :tup:

Might not be a bad idea to think about others then and not post it for the world to see.

I'm kind of torn on this. Could be a first time hunters sees this post and gets then started in the right direction. I see both sides of this one.

Guy sees this post and then reads that the OP is not going to go back there. Hmm, common sense would tell you there is a reason for that. If it was a great spot I'm sure he would have been a bit more secretive.

I hate all the "Hush Hush" that goes on for no real logical reason. So, if I take a picture in Washington state should I just not put that it's here so as not to entice others to hunt in the state too? So silly.

It's my every hunters decision on where he wants to hunt and if he wants to share that information. If you happen to hunt the same area well, I guess them is the breaks. At some point somebody likely shared that information with you too. It's been my experience that when a hunter finds a honey hole they typically don't share that information. So, if a guy posts on a public forum his exact location and says he is not going back I would say it is safe to assume it's not some secret jackpot spot. 

Now, back to seeing cool pictures of backcountry camps! Here is one from a shed hunting trip this year. SHHHHH it was in WASHINGTON.

Or maybe he entered that way but went offtrail? It’s not like he put gps coordinates.

You guys crack me up.  Or maybe I’m trying to keep others from walkingv16 mi to find lots of Does  and spikes.  It might be good after it recovers from the devastation of the 2015 fire. But for now. It’s just a great hike. No secrets. No angles
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #528 on: September 25, 2018, 08:58:41 PM »
Groovy.

Back to cool pics please and thank you.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #529 on: September 27, 2018, 07:57:25 AM »

You guys crack me up.  Or maybe I’m trying to keep others from walkingv16 mi to find lots of Does  and spikes.  It might be good after it recovers from the devastation of the 2015 fire. But for now. It’s just a great hike. No secrets. No angles

That is basically what I was saying. Sounded like you didn't have a bang up hunt in there and that was why you were not going back. At least that was the impression I got. No issues with you sharing the trail number either. 
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #530 on: October 05, 2018, 01:21:07 AM »
Alaska caribou 2017. 200miles from nearest road

Offline StoneTrees

• Tracker
  • Groups: BHA, HOWL
« Reply #531 on: October 09, 2018, 03:19:26 PM »
My setup from a scouting trip this past weekend.  I ended up switching to trees a little further apart and putting my rainfly on later (forgot to take a pic after the fact).  It was pretty cozy, especially once the clouds rolled in.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #532 on: October 10, 2018, 05:19:52 AM »
Word of advice from experiences sleeping in a hammock in cold weather. You best have some heavy insulation under you either a thick pad in your sleeping bag or if your bag has a pad sleeve. Also a windshield reflector works well to reflect your body heat or you will end up with a cold back side. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #533 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:27 AM »
I just keep thinking “bear burrito’ ...... :tung:

Offline cougforester

• Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #534 on: October 10, 2018, 06:08:33 AM »
I just keep thinking “bear burrito’ ...... :tung:

I slept in my hammock a bit this summer at first felt like that too. I added my backpacking tarp though and I feel just as secure in that as a tent. Funny how a piece of fabric a quarter inch thick or whatever can give us piece of mind from a bear though :chuckle:

Offline StoneTrees

• Tracker
« Reply #535 on: October 10, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Word of advice from experiences sleeping in a hammock in cold weather. You best have some heavy insulation under you either a thick pad in your sleeping bag or if your bag has a pad sleeve. Also a windshield reflector works well to reflect your body heat or you will end up with a cold back side. :twocents:

Good point I should've addressed in my post.  You can't see it in the picture, but underneath my bag is a sleeping pad.  For my actual hunting trip, I may bring a layer of Reflectix as well.  I was warm enough on this trip and temps looks to be comparable, but if there's a dip in temps I'd rather be prepared.  I do like the idea of an underquilt, but that's an investment for next season.

For a rainfly, I used the ENO Housefly.  The "doors" on either end were a massive benefit to reducing the drafts.

I slept in my hammock a bit this summer at first felt like that too. I added my backpacking tarp though and I feel just as secure in that as a tent. Funny how a piece of fabric a quarter inch thick or whatever can give us piece of mind from a bear though :chuckle:

My wife and I were having this discussion before I went out on this trip and the psychological sense of security provided by a useless layer of fabric is real; I would use my rainfly regardless of the weather for just that reason.  Better night's sleep I guess.  While out there though, it did occur to me that being in a hammock does make it harder to scramble out of the sleeping bag in a hurry.  That said, I don't need flat ground underneath me.  Could totally bivouac on a 45 degree slope if I wanted; that's pretty cool.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 07:44:47 AM by StoneTrees »

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #536 on: October 10, 2018, 09:06:15 AM »
Could totally bivouac on a 45 degree slope if I wanted; that's pretty cool.
:yeah: I've done it many times, and it is pretty cool :)

FWIW, I get by just fine with my 20° down bag and my Sea2Summit air pad (R3.3) down to around 30°.  Past that, and I might add a reflective layer, stuff my down jacket around my feet, etc., but the hammock still works.  I have never tried the underquilt thing. 

Offline StoneTrees

• Tracker
« Reply #537 on: October 10, 2018, 08:05:51 PM »
FWIW, I get by just fine with my 20° down bag and my Sea2Summit air pad (R3.3) down to around 30°.  Past that, and I might add a reflective layer, stuff my down jacket around my feet, etc., but the hammock still works.  I have never tried the underquilt thing.

I'm guessing temps were down in the lower 40s to upper 30s and breezy until the cloud cover moved in and it seemed to settle into the middle 40s. I have a Nemo Disco 20 deg down bag and Nemo Tensor air pad.  Dunno what the R-value is; I don't think Nemo publishes them.  I was sleeping in just a lightweight base layer and have more and heavier layers to add if I need.  Still cutting my teeth on this hammock style of doing things, but feeling pretty comfortable and being rocked to sleep is really damn sweet.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #538 on: October 11, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »
This year's Idaho hunt.  All nights we were "back in there" were very cold, guessing high teens (we were at 7500ish feet in a wilderness area).  Gotta say that the Lite Outdoors stove and the Luxe Outdoor tipi performed flawlessly! 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #539 on: October 11, 2018, 06:18:07 PM »
This year's Idaho hunt.  All nights we were "back in there" were very cold, guessing high teens (we were at 7500ish feet in a wilderness area).  Gotta say that the Lite Outdoors stove and the Luxe Outdoor tipi performed flawlessly!

Nice looking set up! :tup:
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by Ridgeratt
[Today at 06:34:07 PM]