collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Mountain Bikes  (Read 17417 times)

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Mountain Bikes
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 05:40:23 PM »
Here is my thought when building the trailer (professional engineer in me).

I want the weight as close to the center of mass as possible.  On a bike that is close to the rider (the bike might weigh 20 lbs while I weigh 230).  The further you attach the weight from the center of mass the more the overturning moment is.   The weight being attached at the axle has a higher chance of pushing the tire out from underneath the rider. Besides I don't like all the weight being transferred through a 5/8" bolt.

As far as trailer brakes they are nice but an expensive option.  I have biked out over 10 elk and never needed trailer brakes.  All of our bikes have large disc brakes for this reason.

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 07:55:54 PM »
this would have made for nice project in my eng class this spring.while im still a year or so away from geting my CE deg, i  do understand what your saying jphelps, but after using both types over the past six years i have just had better stability with the axle mount style than the seat post style. i think if a guy were to load a trailer to its potential breaking point the benefits of having the weight attached to the seat would reveal them selves. but like i said im only a half an elk kinda guy

also even with disc breaks you gota admit with at least one of those ten elk, trailer(disc) breaks would have been the cats meow :tup: 

still really expensive tho :bash: :bash: :bash:

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 07:59:48 PM »
I have personally seen and followed out of the woods a full elk on a Hawkeye built trailer.  Those things are bullet proof and extremely light.  I think that is how Philps got his design.  The comments on disk breaks is a great idea when going down steep grades with a full load. 

It was fun watching him go down the steep hills walking down the bike. 

I also saw a guy come out of a trail with only one brake on his trailer.  I watched for a while it was a matter of time before that idea was realized and categorized as a bad one. 
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 08:06:38 PM by TheHunt »
275 down 2

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2012, 08:08:16 PM »
I have personally seen and followed out of the woods a full elk on a Hawkeye built trailer.  Those things are bullet proof and extreamly light.

Pricey, but well worth the money and way better than childrens carrier that a lot of guys use. I guess its all about how much money you are willing to spend. :twocents:
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2012, 08:53:55 PM »
TheHunt, I have never seen a hawkeye game cart.  My family has been using modified aluminum game carts for as long as I can remember (the push type).  I then decided I wanted to cut some weight so I designed my own.

I went and performed all the structural calculations to optimize the weight to strength of the aluminum section.  I also checked all of the joints to see what the strength was.  The only problem is there is only so many ways to build a frame and attach wheels, so incidentally it looks like the hawkeye cart.   

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2012, 09:13:43 PM »

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:48 PM »
I built a hitch for a cabelas game cart on the back of my bike. It attaches under the seat. Used one of the carts for years by just tieing it to the seat post.
I honestly can't imagine using anything else. It works fine and it is pretty inexpensive. I can haul an entire elk unboned. Can't do that uphill but on the flat or downhill. My legs are the limiting factor.
No brakes on the trailer but it has not been a problem. I'm just careful on hills to keep my speed down at the top.
Only time I ever got into trouble was because I got going to fast and the cart was empty at the time so totally my fault, 4 stitches.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline BowBender87

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
    • http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/profile.php?id=100001041254815
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
Jason i really like that trailer you use...that would solve all of my problems.  You should consider making/selling them?   :dunno:  Im sure you have plenty of time on your hands in between making calls, editing video and work.   :chuckle:

Offline Prime Time

• Hunter
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
They work pretty slick Corbin, you'll have to come and check them out one of these days. We hauled out both of our bulls this year on them with no problems. Wanting to try them out on a deer as I'm sure they wouldn't have any problem fitting a whole deer on there.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2012, 08:56:45 PM »
Took some pictures of my hitch that I use with a cabelas game cart. Sorry about the poor quality of the pictures but I think you can see well enough to get the drift.

This one actually was a store bought hitch built like a receiver hitch. I added a  piece of 3/4 x 3/4 square tubing with a cut out in it to fit the part on the trailer. The company won't sell them seperate from their cart which is a kids cart. It was a fluke that I was able to buy it.
I made another just like it and it wasn't hard. I cut a piece of steel tubing slightly smaller then the seat post lengthwise and brazed on the nuts to tighten it on the seat post. Then I welded some square tubing on for the receiver.

This is the part on the trailer. Pretty simple, just an eye bolt attached in the middle  of the frame.

It works good for me but it is important to load it right. The load needs to be ahead a little to put weight on the rear wheel of the bike. Also the cart needs a piece of fiber board added along the wheel to keep from rubbing the load.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2012, 08:59:41 PM »
Forgot to add, depending on how your cart sits in relation to the wheel you may have to remove the front cross piece on the cart.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2012, 09:19:21 PM »
My deer rig MAY be elk worthy. This is just a 2-seater kids trailer modified slightly. Got it off the inet for $100. Anyway, since I didn't get a deer this year, after late buck I went up with a friend to fetch it out of the woods. My friend, a 55-year-old college professor, walked up while I pedaled. We shared a few beers and watched a storm approach. When it was time to go, he suggested that we put the trailer to the test. Foolishly, I agreed that he could climb in the trailer. Riding in a sort of chariot position, since he was too tall to sit in the damn thing, and with my fingers clinched firmly around the brake levers, we began the 1000-ft descent, which included some steep sections and some less steep areas. On one of the gentle hills, I decided to save my brake pads by making gentle slalom turns. This caused the professor to pitch out of his "chariot"! After a few 4-letter condemnations and minor first aid, he foolishly climbed back in (was it the beer?) and we completed the descent without further complications.

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:46 PM »
TheHunt, I have never seen a hawkeye game cart.  My family has been using modified aluminum game carts for as long as I can remember (the push type).  I then decided I wanted to cut some weight so I designed my own.

I went and performed all the structural calculations to optimize the weight to strength of the aluminum section.  I also checked all of the joints to see what the strength was.  The only problem is there is only so many ways to build a frame and attach wheels, so incidentally it looks like the hawkeye cart.

Here was a thread that discussed this at length in August last year.   :chuckle:
http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=81944.0
275 down 2

Offline flinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2012, 11:56:25 PM »
Couple of mods to a cabelas cart,Need to attach some web or netting to keep meat bags from oozing between the bars
SEE YA IN THE FIELDS
        FLINGER

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 05:51:04 PM »
Here is a picture of my old cart (aka the meat wagon).  That thing has hauled some serious elk meat and performed flawlessly.  We put 25 psi solid tires in it and it has been bulletproof.  Only downfall is it weighs about 40 lbs.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal