collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Good skinning knife?  (Read 11791 times)

Offline hambone

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Good skinning knife?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:53 PM »
i use a plan jane buck knife but i carry a ceramic steel in my pack a few swipes and the edge is good as new but i have been cutting meat for 30 years so its a little easy for me.

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
Thank you all for your replies.   I did pick up the Gerber Gator II on eBay for a modest $28 total.  Pretty good deal and I think its a good basic skinning knife.  I'm hoping to pick up at least one trophy this year so I'll try to find my way into a scapel as well.  Eventually, I'd like to get me into a few of those beautiful handmade knifes that Rainshadow creates.  Best luck to all in your skinning pursuits this year. :hello:

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »
Those scalpel knives look like a great idea.  I'm too old school to use them, but I know a lot of men I will suggest them to!

I am a out of control knife collector.  I will buy any well made knife I can get cheap.

My dad taught me how to sharpen a knife when I was very young using a whetstone. I practiced many an hour as a young boy, trying to get my technique down so I could prove to the old man I could sharpen a knife.  It took a long time, but I did get it down.  In those days, that was one of those 'rites of passage' that a young boy had to go through on his path to becoming a man.  Any young man worth his salt carried a pocket knife and knew how to sharpen that pocket knife.  To this day, I never go anywhere without my pocket knife.

I don't think pocket knives are allowed these days for all the young boys being raised by single mothers....(oops, slipped out, sorry), not socially acceptable.  But I digress...

These days I have a number of different stones I use to sharpen my knives, depending on the steel in the blade and how dull they are to start with.  There's nothing I like better, than to sit down for the evening, plug in a good western movie, get out a few knives and my stones, and watch the movie and sharpen my knives.

Even better, when it gets to this time of year, two things really get me stoked for hunting.  Spending time at my reloading bench loading hunting ammo, and sharpening my field knives in preparation for hunting.  I usually carry two knives in my pack, so I don't have to do more than swap knives when I'm field dressing or caping an animal out. 

The trick to prevent knives from dulling too quickly (assuming you have the proper angle on the edge to begin with) is DON'T CUT HAIR.  Nothing dulls any knife faster, than cutting hair on big game, except for maybe cutting really dirty hair on big game.... :chuckle: :o

Here's an interesting observation.  My original hunting knife, the first knife I bought for myself for hunting about 30 years ago, is an Old Timer two blade folder.  The blades on that knife are stained black from blood.  That knife, of all the knives I own, is the knife I can get the sharpest of all, by quite a bit.  Must be because it's a high carbon steel blade.  The rest of my knives are all some form of a stainless steel alloy.  That Old Timer folder is the easiest knife to hand sharpen as well.  Go figure.  I get it 'scary sharp' to borrow a term related to sharpening woodworking blades, and it actually makes me a little nervous when I'm trying to fold the blades shut without losing part of a finger!....

Just like guns, a man can never own too many knives... :tup:

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2008, 11:49:47 AM »

I don't think pocket knives are allowed these days for all the young boys being raised by single mothers....(oops, slipped out, sorry), not socially acceptable.  But I digress...

Just like guns, a man can never own too many knives... :tup:

:yeah:

I happened to be raised by one of those mothers. To make matters worse where did I go post HS but off to a good ol' University for more liberal indoctrination.  Took me years to un-f* the damage. 

I could see myself developing an affinity for knives but I'm trying to resist by looking at them only as a tool, not as much as a 'toy.'  Guns and ammo are skyrocketing in price and until I get a good horde of those stocked up, I'll have to hold off o the knives for now.  Now I digress..

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2008, 12:02:52 PM »
No offense meant Bean Counter.  I have strong reasons for commenting on SM's, but this isn't the place to explain them.

Glad you were able to work it out and join the ranks of responsible men... 8)

Offline rainshadow1

• RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Custom Calls and Knives
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/RainShadow-Game-Calls-Custom-Knives/133406026689512?ref=hl
    • RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2008, 12:38:00 PM »
Stainless is easy, low maintenance, that's why it's so popular with us hunters and fishers... but the more stainless it is, the less appropriate the steel is for duty as a knife. You can get steel that's nearly stain free, but it's almost as soft as wood at its best!

The best stainless steels can be vulnerable to rust because of their high carbon content. They're just "less" vulnerable to it than regular high carbon.

Carbon steel will rust if you don't maintain it regularly. It will Patina, and darken itself all the way to black over the years, even if you do maintain it! But carbon tool steels are the best for knife work. Catch 22.

Some guys like the Patina, the Aged look of a good carbon blade. The Old Timer's are a good example. I don't remember seeing a bright shiny Old Timer blade, but they're excellent steel!

You can hand rub those old blades back up. A bit of technique and good old fashioned elbow grease, but you can make them new again.
- - Steve
View and Purchase/Order Custom Calls!
Cougar Hunters!!! Check out Calling Products and Call-In Stories!
View the Blade Gallery, & Purchase/Order a Custom Knife!
 www.rain-shadow.com

RainShadow Game Calls & Custom Knives on Facebook

Labrador Retrievers - https://rainshadowlabradors.com

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2008, 12:46:40 PM »
I like D2 steel pretty well. My fave knife was a handmade deal from my pa.. He made it out of leaf springs and sawmill blades, and it sharpens easily, and when its touched up,, its so sharp that if you look at it too long, your eyes will bleed.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline Bean Counter

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2008, 01:09:51 PM »
No offense meant Bean Counter.  I have strong reasons for commenting on SM's, but this isn't the place to explain them.

Glad you were able to work it out and join the ranks of responsible men... 8)

None taken, of course.  Generalized statement--not personally directed.  At times, some things just need to be said. Society needs more "responsible men."  Both in sport hunting and in the family.  That would prevent a lot of homes like mine: of single moms and fatherless children.  Thanks for your encouragement.

Offline MountainWalk

• "Pa Nevermissashot"
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • High lead logger/ cutter
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2008, 01:17:47 PM »
Here is that connive. :chuckle

He made it for me when I was nine, and gave it to me when I was twelve. It balances perfectly on one finger.
The way that you wander, is the way that you choose
The day that you tarry, is the day that you lose

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »
when its touched up,, its so sharp that if you look at it too long, your eyes will bleed.

LMAO..... :brew:

Offline jeff100

• Hunter
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 04:28:58 PM »
Here's my Old Timer.  It's an old friend...BTW, the original post was about Gerber Gator II, I have that knife in a fixed blade config, it's a great knife.  I have it both with and without the guthook.  I also have the original Gator folder in smooth blade (no serrations).  It's one of my favorite lockblades.  The only caveat is, I search out and buy the Gerber knives that were made in Portland.  I don't know if there's any real difference, but the new Gerber knives are made in Taiwan or China.

Offline fishseeker

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2008, 06:15:11 AM »
I use a Unkle Henry single blade folding blade I bought in 78, Gutted and skinned alot of game with it. Like an old friend to me! Never leaves the pocket of my hunting coat. Keep it shaving sharp with a stone(in the same pocket). Also carry a Wyoming knife now to use the gut hook for starting out. Have my Dad's old Western in the safe,but  don't use it for nothing but cutting my steak at dinner once in awhile! Kids got a kick outta me cutting thier meat with Grandpa's Knife!!
Take a kid hunting or fishing, Pass it on, it's not yours to keep!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal