collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: HELP for a disabled hunter? - likely last hunt of her life  (Read 1656 times)

Offline bow4elk

• Pacific Northwest Bowhunting
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
HELP for a disabled hunter? - likely last hunt of her life
« on: July 31, 2008, 10:50:21 AM »
I have a new friend who's wife has been battling MS for several years, and is on a rapid decline.  It's a very sad situation, as most all MS stories are.  He and his wife were avid hunters, backpackers, motorcycle riders, etc., etc.  They are hard-core RMEF supporters as well, and generally just the kind of people you want to be associated with.  Additionally, they have young children which only makes matters more depressing.

After a tip from a common non-hunting friend, I learned that she and her husband (remaining nameless on purpose) have a special permit to hunt Capital Forest (not sure of the details) for deer in October.  I don't know if it's a special "disabled persons" hunt or a general season tag that allows him to help her shoot, etc.  Not clear.

What I do know is that she is confined to a motorized chair and has difficulty with speech and motor skills.  I learned from her husband via email that she wants to hunt with him to share in something that used to be so special between them.  Personally, it kills me to see good people beat down by disease so I've offered to help them out as much as I can.  I live on the border of Capital Forest and plan on scouting for them, which means finding good sections of road suitable for her chair that are in proximity to decent cuts and open shooting areas.  The trick is he told me that her health is touch and go day by day, so he couldn't even tell me when they will go for sure.  And he said that even once they get out, they may have to pack it all up and head back to a hotel so she can rest.  It's just an unpredictable situation.

I'm not an expert on Capital Forest.  I've driven many of the roads but have not hunted it as much as I'm sure some of you have, having just moved back to Olympia in the last year.  Years ago I arrowed a couple deer off the Rock Candy Mountain mainline, but both were lucky chance encounters (forky and a doe).

To cut to the chase, I'm looking for any help or ideas on how we can put a deer in this woman's crosshairs this fall.  I offered to do a drive for them but a one-man deer drive in big timber isn't all that effective in most cases.  Maybe a few of us could do a drive?  Maybe you know of a honey-hole you wouldn't mind letting this poor gal shoot a doe or small buck (that would be incredible).

Of coarse, these folks don't look for handouts or complain about their situation.  They aren't the type.  They just move on and cope the best they can.  In my last conversation with the husband, it sounded as if she is declining to the point where this is likely her last hunt with him.  Man, I really want to make it count.  Anyone will to help?  Send me a PM and we can figure something out.  Even a few extra combined hours scouting or locating possible spots for them to park and roll a motorized chair would be a huge help.

PLEASE DON'T FEEL OBLIGATED TO HELP OR THAT YOU WILL BE JUDGED FOR NOT OFFERING.  Not the intent here.  I live very close to CF and that is a large part of why I'm wanting to help - because I can.

Thanks for your time!!
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline tmike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: HELP for a disabled hunter? - likely last hunt of her life
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
That's HARSH! My wife also has MS but fortunately is doing very well at the moment. She drew a cow elk tag and will hopefully get her first big game animal. I don't know anything about Capital Forest, but if she wants to talk to someone with the disease that is up on the latest treatments or can just relate to her situation let me know. MS is a strange disease, it affects each person differently. I hope someone can help you.

Offline bow4elk

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Contact me at: tom@pnwbowhunting.com
    • https://www.facebook.com/pacific.northwest.bowhunting/
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 11:38:23 AM »
Thanks, and all the best to you and your wife!  She is hooked up on the latest meds, etc.  She was really headed south a few years back but with new treatments has apparently leveled off somewhat.  Now it appears that it's advancing again so who knows.  All the best and good luck with her cow tag.  that would be a joyous moment for both of you.
Official Measurer: Pope and Young Club, NW Big Game Inc., National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association, Oregon Shed Hunters
First Hunt Foundation mentor
Washington State R3 Coordinator

Pacific Northwest Bowhunting http://www.pnwbowhunting.com

Offline hangumhi

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:57:03 PM »
Just a thought (and I wish I could help with the deer hunt but I can't seem to get one for myself so I'd be no help to get someone else one) but perhaps she might enjoy a good duck hunt or goose hunt to where she could sit in the blind with her husband and have a good memorable experience?  I have a friend that runs a guide service out of Moses Lake for geese and ducks and I'd glad to give him a call; I'm sure he'd give them a great hunt for no charge...he's a good guy.  Let me know if that's something you think they'd like and I could give him a call.  Best of luck!

Offline DeKuma

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 07:56:43 PM »
Where are Killbilly and BTKR?  They hunt the CF a lot and might have a good direction for you.  I have never been there to hunt, but might be able to come help out.
- Scott

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10