collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: tonasket turkeys  (Read 5065 times)

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
tonasket turkeys
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
I have an interview the 14th with DNR and I thought about staying an extra day at my chance at a turkey. I am not asking for spots or any gps coordinates, but would anyone suggest that I hunt around tonasket area or drive over into the methow valley? thanks for any info
bucks ducks trucks  . . . and bulls.

Offline Moose22

• Scout
Re: tonasket turkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:59:43 AM »
I'm assuming you are interviewing for the fire program. After your interview talk with some to the guys with DNR, most are hunters, and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Good luck with the interview and hunting.
"Live life like a song..." Jimmy Buffet

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 12:39:49 PM »
you will find turks in the hills right around town  :tup:

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 02:09:42 PM »
Yes it is for the fire program, Thank you guys I plan on asking them about it after I am done with the interview. Good luck with the gobblers!

Offline Feanix

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 04:36:38 PM »
Pretty much like was said, any of the hills around town after you get off private land.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 05:03:36 PM »
I had hoped this thread would do a little better as we have a cabin north of Tonasket and while we have never turkey hunted up that way I was hoping to get a little more info. Now with some recent developments in our plan it looks like we will be headed that way for the first time. If anyone has any intel I will be looking at this thread and any PMs until late Saturday evening. Totally prepared to make the next few days a scouting exercise in preparation for taking the kids over between ball games later, if you would share I will gladly listen. Not looking for anything specific spots just general areas. We have seen some around Fish lake (sinlahiken) the NF to the west of Oroville, and a few years back along the Kettle river. If you can add to this listing I would appreciate it and if we get there I will gladly give you a report.

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
We too usually hunt around Colville :tup:, like I said recent events have changed our plans so for quicker trip and less fuel and lodging costs we are headed to the cabin and a little closer to home. We have a trip planned for that are the end of next month after the kids sports are done :chuckle: so my hunting season turned into a scouting trip in the hopes of finding a couple spots to take the kids. I too would love to have the turkey thick in that area and we are planning on doing some plantings next month for the wildlife over there. We have never seen turkeys on our place but we know they are within a mile or so.

Offline Moose22

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
Last year I did some work on DNR land about 12 mile up Havillah Rd in April and May. Saw quite a few birds in that area, if that helps at all.
"Live life like a song..." Jimmy Buffet

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 09:35:24 PM »
Moose, that does help. My aunt and uncle live outside of Chesaw I seldom drive the Havillah rd from town as we generally come up the Oroville side but that gives me a starting point. We are planning at least a full day in the NF just west of Havillah. Thanks.

Offline Lingcod

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 10:18:47 PM »
Up mule deer hunting a few years back I seen a few Turkeys up around crawfish lake, sorry i can't remember the road. Good luck to you guys!
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Offline dr.derek

• Heart shot hunter
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 04:06:45 PM »
Well no gobbler for me, I spent a little time scouting around the Sinliekin and Loomis and didn't see a thing, I then drove down south of conconelly and got on a gobbler but he got to private land before I got him. Talked to a warden and He only saw two birds where usally he'll see 30-35  :dunno:

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
Pretty much same results for us. We roosted one Sunday night, were all set up Monday morning, we called, he gobbled, everything was going well. The hens called and they all disappeared. We found them a few hours later all still together and they really wanted nothing to do with us. After getting very wet from the hours of snowing we headed to Tonasket, bought a couple good maps form the forest service office. Talked to a few folks there that when we asked about turkeys they said "we do not know what happened to them, for the past several years they have been pretty thick, this year we have seen very few". They mentioned the south end of the Sinlahekin but that too was not as good as previous years. We drove around (150 miles) any public land that was accessible still alot of snow over there, and while we did find a few birds nothing was harvested, and certainly nothing worth going back for. We can now say we went and while I honestly believe the locals are getting their share in the winter there may also be other factors limiting the number of birds around  :dunno:.

Offline turkeydancer

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 06:58:01 AM »
 :sry:
Sorry that you didn't have the chance to do better ... snow may have delayed them enough for moving in to the traditional area ... or might also be presence of the "introduced" wolf packs changing their tradition breeding area ... or a combo of both.
 :dunno:

Offline MR5x5

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 11:31:16 AM »
Series of tough springs in the Tonasket area, with last years being the worst.  First hatch was completely lost last year.  Numbers are just plain down.  Spring has been good so far...hoping the rain stays off this year and the birds have a strong comeback.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Woodchuck
[Today at 07:05:51 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by gramps
[Today at 06:50:22 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]