collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Monumental win for fishing and Washington State  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Ripper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sobriety is the spice of life.
    • Mark Wantola
    • Ripper Family Adventures
Monumental win for fishing and Washington State
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:50:24 PM »
This is great news    :tup:  I hadn't heard about it and wanted everyone else to see it. Sorry if it's old news to some.

- Hatcheries bill passed
At 7:20 the 2011 Washington Legislature adjourned for the year but not before passing an unprecedented jobs package that provided over $65,000,000 dollars for hatchery infrastructure, fish passage and access in Puget Sound. On the first day of the 2011 legislative session Our FishNW, NSIA, CCA, and PSA representatives testified in front of the Capitol Budget Committees in both houses and stressed the importance of investing in our state hatcheries as a vehicle for jobs creation in local communities. They pointed out that unlike social programs the state would create jobs in the local construction industries and at a staffing level that would result in increased angler participation for all user groups and grow the states' tax base. These efforts were rewarded because we had bipartisan support for our efforts. Unlike most issues where a single majority vote is required for passage expenditures require a two thirds majority for passage. This is an incredible success. In a budget climate where agencies and programs were being eliminated because of revenue shortfalls they were able to convince legislators that jobs creation and not additional taxes was the correct approach to increase state revenues. Daily discussions with House Capitol Budgets Chairman, Han Dunshee, Derek Kilmer, Chair of Senate Capitol Budgets and ranking minority member Linda Evans Parlette convinced them to champion our specific recommendations through the legislative process. We cannot overstate the importance of the political implications of this victory. First, it communicates to WDFW senior staff and the commission that we (recreational industry and fishing organizations) can accomplish what the agency is unable to do on their own. This did not go unnoticed with the Washington Department of Fish & Wildlife Commission. Our representative will be giving them a full testimony on this monumental bill. The WDFW director, Phil Anderson, expressed his gratitude and thanks on behalf of the department for what we had been able to accomplish. This achievement validates the importance of our financial commitment to ongoing participation in the political process. By continuing to grow our political influence we will increasingly play major roles in creation of the states' natural resources policies. The director understands the political implications of this achievement. In our talks with legislators we continually emphasized the importance in investing in specific locations that would result in the biggest bang for the buck. Improving hatcheries in metropolitan Puget Sound would encourage more participation because of location and easy access. We can hardly wait to see the new boat ramp at Point No Point (this ramp was included in this bill). This is a major victory!!!
Our hatcheries and our hatchery systems/fish passages have not been kept up and are in dire need of repair. Washington State used to be the Salmon Capital of the world. We need to return it to that and this is the first step.
This is what your local fishing organizations do for you. When we work together we can move mountains-we just did. By having a collective voice and working together, we are being heard. We were looking at some very drastic cuts and there still will be in other areas of our fisheries, such as funding cuts by NOAA for WDFW. But by us working together we can work on finding funding to keep our fisheries alive for our kids and grandkids, while helping to not only maintain our economy but to grow it.
I am still amazed we pulled this off! Our key legislators Hans Dunshee, Derek Kilmer, and Linda Evans Parlette were the true champions for us. We owe them a huge thank you.
Ron Garner
President
Puget Sound Anglers
State Board
FishNW Board of Directors
I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I'm not!

Offline rasbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Legend
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
Re: Monumental win for fishing and Washington State
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:26:48 PM »
some good news,foresure :tup:

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
Re: Monumental win for fishing and Washington State
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 09:51:41 PM »
 :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal