collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Peaches Ridge  (Read 12852 times)

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Peaches Ridge
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:51:35 PM »
FINALLY!!!!!  My brother, buddy and I drew the Peaches ridge A rifle tag as a partner hunt.  For those that have had this tag before, hopefully I can pick your brain a little later on.
Good luck to the rest of you!

Offline bowpredator

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: Peaches Ridge
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 04:54:08 PM »
I also drew a Peaches Ridge Archey with 4pts, time to start scouting.
  congrats.
   Rodger

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 05:17:05 PM »
Rodger, I too drew the archery bull tag!  Do you know the area well?
Any info I could get as far as access and numbers go I would really appreciate it!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline Shank

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:32:07 PM »
I have have only hunted the Little Naches side one time and that was in November, and didn't get anything, have never hunted the Tanum side.  I usually just play in the area.  Remember there is alot of ORV use in this/these units.  If it was me I would use it to my advantage i.e use the trails for access then break brush form there, or stay as far away form the trails as possible.  I talked to a couple of different archery hunters one guy stuck a nice bull around Mt. Clifty, he said it was bedded down in the middle of the trail. The other guy I ran into in the Little Naches had just bugled in a 5 pt that hung up just out of range.  Both areas are riddled with clear cuts, so you do have some real open areas to glass.  I think around Ravens Roost might be pretty productive, you can acces the wilderness area pretty easy form there. I have seen alot of Elk and Elk sign around Government Meadows (I have actually woke up to Elk waking by my tent close enough they were rubbing on it) I've also seen some nice size cat tracks in these areas as well.  Hope this helps and good luke to you all :tup:
I read it on the internet, its gotta be real

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 02:33:46 PM »
I live right amongst the Peaches Ridge unit, my dad and I drew the rifle bull tags back in 2000, as partners, and he drew it again in 2003.  We tagged out in 2000 on two nice bulls, one that scored 340 and the other was only around 300 or so, but both awsome bulls.  We got one in 2003 that should push 340-350, but we never got it scored.  I know the area very well, I work up there alot, haven't seen a whole lot of elk this year as i usually have in the past, but they are deffinetly there.  I was in the Taneum last week working and saw one huge bull that if I had to guess was already 340 or so, not the greatest at scoring but i'm guess he was close to that and still had a lot of growth left.  I can give u guys insight into the area, my family has huted it for years, we have a cabin up there as well.  The access isn't the best, but if you have a motorcycle or 4-wheeler you can get behind the gates.  Not supposed to drive behind them, only on the trails, but nobody ever patrols it.  There are a lot of new and old clearcuts, lots of streams and steep canyons as well.  Has everything you could ask for in the unit. 

Offline Cascade

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:27:43 AM »
Thanks for the info guys.  Every little bit helps.
Good luck with the archery tags!

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 04:19:55 PM »
Michael, I have never hunted this area, but have been up there once after the season closed with the inlaws calling in bulls with the video camera. I normally hunt down on the coast for elk but put in for peaches because I drew a milti elk tag and if I didnt draw any eastside tag then I could go chase bulls on the west side with my hunting group and my chances of drawing an elk tag for the east side were better than the margret or toutle and what do you know I drew peaches.My ex-father inlaw hunts up there every year with rifle so I will be picking his brain alot and may have to drag him up there with me in the following weeks to help out. He hunts mostly the little naches side and may not know much about the Tanum side. I will be hunting by my self and if needed will be there the whole early season.

Rodger

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 07:09:12 PM »
Miles, I agree totally.
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 09:57:32 PM »
I agree with you about the waking up at 1 am and having someone pass you.  The sad thing is everyone has the option to be those people that do that, the ones that dont are the die hard hunters.  I will use my motorcycle to get into more remote places.  Like i mentioned you are supposed to ride the trails, so if you were to walk a logging road at 1 am to get to a place and have someone beat you there because they road a legal trail you would still be pissed; surely you would as i would too.  Those that do get up early have to face reality and hope for the best.  They dont make trails to not ride them.  But i think the hatred was towards those that just ride the logging roads all day in areas where they are not supposed to.  The area i'm talkiing about has two main gates one upper and one lower.  There are ways around them and the sad thing is the trails constantly intersect the roads.  No one patrols it, that is why everyone gets away from it.

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 10:26:47 PM »
Thanks so much for the infos guys I really appreciate it!  I'm probably heading in there wednesday/thursday so send me an email tomorrow if you'd like to do some glassing with me!

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 02:38:46 PM »
I went up to the Little naches with my boy this past week-end and did some scouting. Most of the scouting I did on this trip was just driving all the roads to see what kind of access there is and did a some glassing where I could. I did find some elk in some of the areas that people have told me about (Thanks to all). In areas that I did not see elk, I did see plenty of sign that they area using the areas. The east side of the little naches seemed to be a bit more open than the west side of the river. I drove up to Ravens roost and found that side to be really thick and steeper country, but I'm sure that the elk like that darker timber when its hot and they get the pressure. Up Quarts creek was not that bad, with more open areas and good pockets of heavy timber. I did learn that a 4x4 is a must for accessing more area there. I can only take my 2 wheeled drive ranger so far (probably to far). I do have a few questions for some of you who have more info on this unit. I will be hunting by my self for the whole early season and will be camping out of my truck and pack as to stay as mobile as possible to stay on the animals and in the action. Question: 1) Is the Tanum side of the unit more open to do more glassing for animals. 2)What kind of access is there from the I-90 side, and is this side used as much by the orv's, atv's as the little naches side. 3)If you had to chose which side of the unit to hunt archery in September (8-21), which would side would it be and why.  I will be making a scouting run over to the I-90 side shorty to check it out and take some notes. My computer room looks like a Iraq war room with maps and photos and notes pinned alover the walls. THANKS A BUNCH for those who have helped out with the scouting I'm sure it will pay off with a nice bull.

Rodger

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 03:13:13 PM »
I wouldn't bother hunting the Taneum side, as it has a general archery season going at the same time, and Little Naches doesn't. You may as well take advantage of the permit you drew, and hunt where there won't be any pressure from the general season hunters.

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 03:33:13 PM »
Bobcat, thanks for the heads up on the general archery season, I should have looked that up. Thats one of the main reasons that I put in for the peaches tag, I knew it was not open on the litttle naches side but I didn't look to see what the Tanum side was. Thanks again.

Rodger

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 04:29:19 PM »
Hey all, I was just thinking. Do any of you have any pictures of any bulls that have been taken out of Peaches, Tanum, Little Naches area? Just a little somthing to get pumped for the hunt.

THanks, Roger

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »
Here are a couple bulls we took back in 2000 in the Peaches ridge unit just North of actual peaches ridge.

Offline MichaelJ

• Frontiersman
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 08:35:15 PM »
WoW!  Get me pumped up will ya!  That's awesome stuff right there!

Michael
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline bowpredator

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2007, 06:49:10 AM »
That second bull is a pig. thanks

Rodger

Offline BaseballStud20

• Hunter
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2007, 07:16:33 PM »
Are the areas in question permit only hunts for archery? I mean for branch antlered bulls.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
All branch antlered bulls are permit only on the east side unles you drive up to Colville, or the NE corner.  That is anybull.  It is extremely hard to get a bull there though as they are scattered and you reall need to know your stuff.  I wouldn't recommend it for the starter hunt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal