collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Entiat A Tag!!!!!!!  (Read 14982 times)

Offline shag

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Entiat A Tag!!!!!!!
« on: July 20, 2007, 06:52:15 PM »
well guys i'm not gonna beleive it until it comes in the mail.  But I drew a Entiat A Tag Nov 1-18!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope this is forreal!!!

The best part is that I put in for this tag as a group.  Well hopefully this is true and the best part is that my partner is my kid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to watch my kid slay the big one!!

Oh yea I'll be needin some help with territory and gear!!

CD
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined,

but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to
maintain a status of independence from any who might
attempt to abuse them, which would include their

own government." -- George Washington

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Entiat A Tag!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:54:58 PM »
Congrats on the tag. It's a good one, but it's not as good as you might think. You'll see a lot of deer but finding a good buck might take a while. Plus there will be more hunters in there than ever before. Personally I would hunt as far to the west as possible, depending on the snow.

Offline WAmuleyHunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:41:03 PM »
congrats on a great tag, you and your kid or gonna see so many animals and have a great experience.  hunt as much as you can!!! it will be a blast, there will be a bunch of guys but put in the time and you will be rewarded.

garrett

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:24:23 PM »
If this is true I'm gonna hunt 15 of the 18 days!!  CD

Offline wackmaster

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 08:40:36 PM »
sweet draw
Get outdoors and enjoy life

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 05:42:39 AM »
What a great opportunity for my son and I to go on a quality hunt!!!  I have never hunted the Entiat.  I'm planing on huntin 15 of the 18 days. 

I'm hoping that  anyone that's hunted the Entiat in November can inform me as to the type of tempetures(weather) we can expect.

I gotta outfit the kid with boots and clothes. I'll need boots also and we both need sleeping bags.

If anyone has any ideas on a place to set camp please any help would be really appreciated.

This is a dream come true.  My 14yr old son is as excited as I am!!!

You can PM me with any help or E-mail me if you like.

cfshag@hotmail.com

Thanks  and good luck to others that drew their dream tags!

Chuck

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 07:37:21 AM »
Sent you an email.

Offline GOcougsHunter

• Longhunter
  • Groups: MHPP, MHAG, HEI, RMEF, DU, USVEMG
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 07:40:26 AM »
sent a PM
Introduce someone new to hunting this year.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 07:31:27 PM »
Thanks guys for the PM's!!!

I really just want a safe and enjoyable hunt for the boy and I.  i'm gonna research this to the very end.  I need to be prepared!  I'm pretty sure some Schnees(boots) gators and some wool will make the trip.

But I need to find out the temps so our bags keep us warm.  I'm already worried about being able to keep us warm cozy.  to kill would be the iceing on the cake!!  A good experience would be awesome.

I'm feeling sucessful all ready! Just to spend time camped with my son is better than I'd hoped for.  Hope to get the kid a respectable 4x4!!!  I'll worry about me later.

If anyone has any pics of the conditions over there this time of year please post!!  Also any pics of big mulies on any of the late hunt will provide even more motovation!!!

Which part of the hunt would you not miss. The first half or the last half??  I'm shootin for 15 of the 18 days.  At least 10 of the 18!!!! 

I'll try to post a pic of my sons blactail from last year on a very tough high country hunt.

Thanks  alot

Chuck

Offline WDFW-SUX

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 07:55:03 PM »
I slept in the back of my truck in swakane last year in a 0 degree bag and was warm :dunno:
THE WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE SUCKS MORE THAN EVER..........

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 11:14:14 PM »
Creeping Death. I know the area and also do a  bunch of tent camping below freezing, on top of snowpac. Keep in mind that most bags freeze you from the bottom as you compress the insulation...it loses it R value. We sleep on doubled foam camp pads from Wallyworld. An inflatable pad is ok, but you will want to double up as a safety measure, those pads have a habit of deflating in the middle of the night.Many winter campers use an inflatable over a foam pad. We prefer the cheaper doubled foam pads. Another trick we do, is to sleep next to each other, back to back... In extreme cold, we wear dry themals to bed. I also toss a thin sheet over the sleepers. This thin sheet is called a "neatsheet", also found at wallyworld, look in the picnicy stuff..... It is a proprietary fabric, developed for having a picnic on, or resting on at the beach. The microporous material is water resistant and quiet. These sheets are a staple of my outdoor gear. I keep a small one in my daypack, to toss over my legs while I sit on a stand for a while. When you toss this over the sleepers it serves two purposes. Your body gives off up to a quart of water thru your pores every night that you sleep. In ultra cold conditions, this moisture travels thru your bag, and condenses at the dew point in your bag, somewhere in the middle, or near the surface of your bag, depending on it's insulative value. Very often, in really cold temps, we find this moisture at the surface of the bag, many times freezing on the top of the bag. The sheet helps to cause this dew point to move to the surface of the bag. Moisture will be at the surface, where it can evaporate off all day while you are away. If the moisture manifests itself within the insulation of the bag, then day by day, you bag loses insulative value and becomes laden with hidden dampness and moisture, causing the bag to fail you after many days.  The second purpose of the sheet is to help retain lost heat from the sleepers, and to share the mass lost heat thru radiation, sort of a second shot at the warmth. Remember to sleep with you mouth respirating to the outside of the bag, and not inside as you try to duck out of the cold. You can really pump alot of moisture from your breath into your bag.

This info is probably most useful for those who intend to stay for more than just a few days. Remember, you can always bring an extra (non cotton, synthetic only...) blanket or two or three depending on the quality of your bag...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 11:25:34 AM by Iceman »
molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

Offline Idabooner

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 09:01:37 AM »
Thanks Iceman, that's all very good advice and should be taken seriously by any body in the out back, even if they don't intend to lay out, you never know when it could happen.  I've learned these tricks through the years spending a lot of time in the back country, before Wallyworld and all the great insulated gear was invented.  It's good to know these tricks in a survival situation when you have to use what's available at the time to the best advantage.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 09:33:40 PM »
Call me crazy, but why would anyone sleep in the back of a truck in 0 degree weather, in Swakane Canyon...Wenatchee is only 20 minutes away, with several affordable motels.

Which brings me to my next point. The Entiat Tag is an awsome tag...but don't think it a remote tag. I grew up in Chelan, and well lets say I would rather drive home and sleep in my comfortable bed than in a tent to save the 1 hour differnce...

My Dad drew the Swakane A tag this year, and he will "commute" from his house in Manson (about an hour away) each day.

Make your camp as comfortable as you can, especially if taking your son (I don't know how old he is, but just the memories together will be great).

Not to put a damper on those giving suggestions on "cold weather camping" but I would rather treat this like a vacation or "hunt of a decade"...not really of a "lifetime" but a good hunt, and spend a little of that money on the locals and stay at a motel. Or buy a good wall tent and stove (since you will be "car camping"...driving to the camping spot).

Afterall, that time of year it gets dark by 5:30 PM, and Chelan is only 20 minutes from the town of Entian (no motel in Entiat...) so if you hunt till dark, got back to your truck at 5:30, and say it takes 1/2 hour to get to hwy 97A, then you would be in your cozy motel room at 6:20 PM...plenty of time to take a hot shower, cook a good dinner, and sit around the table looking at maps for the next days hunt.

A great hunt doesn't mean you have to "rough it" to get the "total experience"

Just my .02 cents.

Grade-Creek-Rd
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 11:51:16 PM »
OH FINE CD   after I sent you all of those awesome pics, you're going to bail and hunt the Entiat. ;)

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:30:17 AM »
Kinda gotta now. :)  It's pretty bizare. I got a call from a longtime buddie I grewup with.  Well his son(14) also drew the same tag!!  So we'll be huntin together!
They live in spokane. He said he's not gonna beleive a damn thing tell he get notification by mail. But the day he dose he's the wall tent and stove search is on!

Good for me !!  Oh i got plans for those pics you sent bone!!  They just got set back a year is all!

CD

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2007, 03:13:54 AM »
Well I wish you luck.  You won't be the only father son combo going on.  As you saw elsewhere on here, my Dad drew a tag in the Methow finally.  He's a tough client, but we will get that heavy antlered monster for him.  He needs a big muley for the wall.

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2007, 05:14:37 AM »
I also wish you luck!!!

CD

Offline jstamp

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 12:41:02 AM »
i also drew the entiat tag, and to my surprise with only 2 points. As you could imagine, i had a lot of angry friends. I plan on taking all of my vacation and spending all 18 days in there. I'm looking for at least a 170" buck. As for camp, we are taking a wall tent in, but i will be in there 12 of the 18 days by myself (if it takes that long).

I plan on scouting as much as possible and going over with some friends to hunt the general season. Hopefully my 170" is a realistic goal. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance and good luck.

Offline wamuledeer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 09:38:16 AM »
I think 170" is a very realistic goal, especially if you plan on spending that much time in there. The biggest issue is whether the snow pushes the migratory deer down or not.
Also, the animals you will see during your scouting and general season hunting will not be the animals you will be hunting during the late hunt. The migratory deer do not generally move down until early November. I wouldn't get too discouraged if you were seeing much in October.
Good luck. I had the Chiwawa tag a couple years ago and took my biggest buck I have taken. It was only about 160" but still a nice buck. I was by myself and a little too trigger happy but I am not complaining.

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 09:51:42 AM »
I'm not going in scouting to look at deer, just to scope out the country. I'm sure there are some resident deer in there, but those aren't the deer i'm targeting.

It's good to know that my 170" goal is reasonable. Hopefully I can talk my buddy in to staying as long as it takes for me to kill. It sure would be nice to have an extra set of eyes in there. Also I'm going to need someone to hold me back from the first 150" buck I see. I tend to get an itchy trigger finger.

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
  • I gotcha where I want ya, now I'm gonna eat ya!
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 04:22:41 PM »
Creepingdeath, sent PM

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 04:38:17 PM »
Entiat 2006- :drool: :hunter:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 06:03:10 PM »
See what I mean about hunting partners shooting bigger bucks. ;)

Offline Bobm

• Tracker
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 10:27:54 PM »
Those are some darn nice bucks!

Thanks for sharing.

Offline jstamp

• Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2007, 12:13:36 AM »
hey finnman,

those are some dandy's. I've seen several pictures of both of those bucks before. Any info you have on the entiat unit would be helpful, I also understand if you have some "honey holes" you don't want to share. I would just like to know a little bit about the country.

pm me with any info, i would greatly appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 12:24:38 AM by jstamp »

Offline finnman

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2007, 07:57:48 AM »
PM sent :drool: :tup:

Offline wamuledeer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2007, 08:31:56 AM »
Here is my late hunt 2005 Chiwawa buck right across the river from the Entiat.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
Love those eyeguards.  GORGEOUS!

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 06:12:40 PM »
Oh guys!!  I still can't believe we drew this tag!!  My buddie  kid  from spokane also drew this tag!!  he's ready to dump a bunch of cash on a wall tent.  we are gonna be living high on the hog while there!!  All of you who PM'd me tahnks alot!!!!  I'll be getting with you all as time goes on.  I've confirmed with my friend and we will be there the last 10 days of the season!!  Hope thats enough time to collect 3 good bucks!!

His older brother lives in Wenatchee and has buds that are mulie freaks also willing to help out antway they can!  it's gonna be a special hunt forsure. 

My friend is also one of the very best taxidermist I've ever seen!!  thats a plus forsure!!

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2007, 12:27:48 PM »
hey guys here's the kids deer from last year!  Not a bad Blacktail!!  he's shot a bigger buck every year since he started 5 yrs ago!  So this year it's gotta be 126 B@C or bigger to keep the streak alive!

Offline MichaelJ

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
    • www.facebook.com/hellscanyonarmory
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
In talking with a biologist this year, we have some of the best buck to doe ratios ever seen, however the majority of the bucks are 3 1/2-4 1/2 year old deer and most will average around 140-150"...  There should still be some big mature deer in there, but you should be seeing a lot of young deer...  I'll be guiding a hunt in there for that same tag and the guy is looking for a 170" deer. Let me know where your base camp is and we may stop by for some hot coffee! lol Best of luck!

Michael
Hells Canyon Armory Custom Rifles
https://www.facebook.com/HellsCanyonArmory/
HCARifles@gmail.com

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 06:21:13 AM »
Michaels information is correct about the info the biologists released.  A 170 deer is going to be VERY hard to come by this year with the big slaughter we had about 3 years ago with that extended season.  Most of the big boys got snapped.  There are a few of them still out there though.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2007, 09:24:12 PM »
A few years ago there were  muzzle loader seasons in Chiwawa in the middle of November. Those were the best seasons I have had in Washington. A couple of years were good and the last year they had the season was awesome!  I always camped and one year I woke up in the back of my truck with my boots frozen to the tailgate!  :chuckle: It can get cold.
 Congratulations on a great tag and I'm jealous!
 All of the pics I have non digital and I even have a few before the fires  :),
I'll see if I can scan them.
Steve

Offline shag

• Longhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2007, 07:48:16 AM »
Steve that would be great!!