collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dalton hiway AKA haul rd  (Read 15446 times)

Offline Hoytshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Dalton hiway AKA haul rd
« on: July 20, 2007, 11:06:25 PM »
anyone ever hunted caribou on the hiway up there in alaska.  Just curious Im heading up on the 17th of August and was wondering what it would be like.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
Re: Dalton hiway AKA haul rd
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2007, 08:56:57 AM »
check out alaska outdoors directory and pristine ventures website forums. if you plan on renting a rig there are very few that will let you on the haul road, also there is a buffer zone that means you will do some hiking in the nasty stuff. as for where the herd is the odd/pv will get you todays info

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 05:33:08 PM »
Understand the road is in "wonderful" condition.  I ran into two guys while I was moosing, and they had just gotten back from there.  They had a blast and suggested I run up and do it.  I already had a full load of meat.  Sounded fun though.

Offline GoldTip

• Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2007, 12:29:00 PM »
I believe the buffer zone is five miles either side of the highway, but only applies to hunting with a gun.  I believe the area up to one hundred yards or feet, not sure which, from the highway is open for archery.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.
If I ageed with you, then we'd both be wrong.
You are never to old to learn something stupid.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2007, 01:17:32 PM »
Check these pic's out on a semi-related note.
http://homepage.mac.com/gelande/alaska.html

a co-worker and his buddy made this trip from seattle to the oil fields on motorcycles.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2007, 08:54:22 PM »
Hunting off the haul road is something I have always wanted to try as a budget hunt. It would be perfect to take my wife on.

Offline Hoytshooter

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 12:01:00 PM »
Hey less then 2 weeks and I will be hunting, I will let you guys know how it goes,  IM ready,  Later boys

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 03:29:21 PM »
Hey guys, just got here from Alaska, hunted the Haul road for the past six years and I LOVE IT.  Advice is to get off the road at least 1 mile and set up on the Caribou versus what alot of guys do, try to chase and stalk them, you'll never catch a caribou while it is moving... Period.  I normally archery the first Bou then hike out the five miles for the second one.  Be aware it is a bad hike with the swampyness and tussocks if your not prepared.  Stay on the ridges on any thing Red in color and you'll avoid a good bit of the tussocks.  We normally stay within 15-20 miles of pump station #2 during the first rush, then go south for the hike out.  Make certain you have a GPS and be accurate that you are indeed five miles out, AST will fly the corridor and you stand out like a sore thumb if your not past where you need to be.  There are a few places to fill up along the way and make certain you have 8 ply tires, stay out of the way of the truckers, just pull over and they will just go by and wave.  Now I know folks that have cruised by the trucks at the normal speed and have gotten broken windows and head lights, I personally haven't in six years had a flat or broken window by slowing down when the big rigs come around the bend..  I'll be there again on the 26th of Aug till 3 Sept.  If your going to be in the area send me a PM and I'll give you our license plate of our truck and have a cold beer if you stop by where we'll be camped.  Make certain you have a excellent pack, a boned out Caribou Bull will go 90-120lbs without hide or rack, make certain you get all of edible meat, Alaska has a tough Wanton Waste Law for the meat.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2007, 10:05:52 AM »
Excellent information COHOHO!   I appreciate you sharing!  I wish I was meeting you up there, not just for the cold one.  Alaska is AWESOME!

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2007, 12:03:57 PM »
I'll agree to that, but in the past few years it has become pretty expensive for the day to day person to do more than one hunting adventure per year.  The haul road is a blast for certain and something anyone can do with certain limitations.  There are other areas you can get Caribou (Chicken Ridge, Taylor Hwy and Stesse Hwy) via ATV's but you'll be greeted by 100 of your best friends from Anchorage or Fairbanks, but to be really successful it is either willingness for hard work and time (which I perfer) or spend the big money for the fly service to get you out.  I think the hunts that I did up there, I really love the Black Bear hunting, just something about them that kept me going. Two regrets of animals I didn't get are Musoxen and a Mountain Goat.  Never could draw the Muskox and had two really good Goat hunts turned sour quickly due to weather and injury of partner.  The one thing I really want here in Washington is a Cat, so if anyone needs a side kick for Cougar trip, I'd be up in a heartbeat, just throwing that out there for the cheap advertisement.  Great with a skinning knife for bears also, done probably 20 or so.  Any other animals here I'd be in also, don't want to sound prejudice or something.   Look forward to reading and enjoying other successful and unsuccessful trips in the future.  You guys have a good web site here, that doesn't bash other opinions, and full of good information if you read into and between the lines..  Keep it up!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 12:31:01 PM »
I'll have to pick your brain for a good Caribou hunt.  I managed to put together a great moose hunt DIY up there, but still want to get a caribou.  I pretty much stick to the DIY method as I can't afford the guides,etc.  I agree with you that Alaska would be a great place to Black bear hunt.  I can't believe how many I saw, and the size comparison is unbelievable.  I almost moved up to Anchorage to a sister hospital just to hunt a couple years up there.  Get some game under my belt as a resident.  Didn't pan out.  I also almost went to Kodiak to wrok, but was told that would be real stupid.  I odn't know, sounds fun to me as a guy who likes wildlife and fish.  I'd also like to spend some time moose shedding up there, but thats a whole other adventure.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 01:21:01 PM »
bone...i should put you in touch with my wife's cousin. he just moved back here from AK. he's living in wenatchee right now and is a respiratory therapist, but i think he's moving back down to the southeast around pomeroy pretty quick. said the move back here couldn't have happened soon enough and he is a hunter. just didn't like it up there i guess. i haven't talked to him in depth about it yet as i've only met him 1 time.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 01:31:07 PM »
You should tell him to look into working in Yakima.  I think there is a 25,000 sign on bonus right now for an RT.   Hell, I think there is a 5,000 bonus for someone that gets someone that is interested in one, so you should definately tell him to look here and have him tell them Doug Kikendall refered him.  :)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 01:41:13 PM »
I'll certainly pass on the info...his wife wants to move closer to people they know.
there's a long story behind it.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2007, 01:46:16 PM »
Yakima Regional Hospital....not the other one.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]