collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: How far can you expect to shoot with a MUZZY???????  (Read 11642 times)

Offline 400out

• Radio Active YAR
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • HA HA! VERY FUNNY!
Re: How far can you expect to shoot with a MUZZY???????
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 09:39:21 PM »
REALLLLLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!  :bash:
Granted the ability to cause a A nuclear explosion that produces a rapid release of energy from a higher power resulting in the sudden and catastrophic demise of a thread.

Confucius say:
A crowded elevator smells different to a midget!
Man that go to bed with itchy butt wake up with stinky fingers!
Man who fight with wife all day get no piece at night.

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
I won't take a shot over 200 yards on an animal as we are using iron sites and I know I can get closer.  So far, I haven't had to harvest an animal over 80 yards with my muzzy.  I shot competition with my muzzy out to 500 yards down at Douglas Ridge in Portland.   There is a good arch to the bullet trajectory at that range.

Practice wise I like to shoot out to 250 while at the range.  It's always good to learn your capabilities with the rifle in hand.  I have my ballistics marked on the side of my rifle as well.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline Pathfinder101

• The Chosen YAR
  • Explorer
  • Semper Primus
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:35:32 PM »
Thanks for the data tables Sabotloader.  I sight in all my rifles for MPBR, so I was planning on doing 3" high at 100 yds anyway, but it's nice to know that is the "right" answer. 
PathfinderJR and I made it out to shoot last weekend.  I bought him a used Winchester X 150 .50 cal, but it had the wrong nipple (just replaced that today), so we could only shoot my TC.  He was dead-nuts-on with my gun at 100, so that is encouraging. :tup:  I loaded him up with 100 gr of Pyrodex and a 300 gr Powerbelt and it didn't kick the crap out of him.  He was kind of nervous for the first shot, but after a couple of rounds he said "Hey dad, this is actually pretty fun."
Just found out yesterday that we both drew muzzy cow tags, so it'll be time to get back to the range as soon as we get a nice day.
So you are using powerbelts too. I am looking at 275 grains. Those platinums look promising.

For elk, I think I am going to stick with the 300 gr.  I want to retain ft-lbs...
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
How far can you expect to shoot with a MUZZY???????
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
Never shot an elk past 150, but have killed a few in the 140 to 150 range. I currently shoot the 340 grain dead center plastic tip bullet. I like their 360 hollow point also. These are about the most accurate arrow dynamic bullets out there since buffalo bullets left the scene. 300 grains is borderline light in my mind for elk, especially when reaching out there.
Hitting out at 200 isn't an issue. Energy and velocity is though. Deer would be fine, but after seeing several elk killed out around 150 I'm not sure I'd push it to 200. Maybe if things were perfect. A low shoulder shot down in the thick part of the scapula at 200 could be bad.

Offline SteelheadDC

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 10:37:32 AM »
With washingtons rules the limiting factor is the sights,  at 150 yards my dove tails cover half an elk.  this limits me with accuracy to 120 yards.  I have a friend in Northern Alberta who shoots a ML with a scope closed ignition system and smokeless powder and groups 3 inches at 200 yards.  I always joke with him saying he cant call it a ML but a single shot rifle.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 10:47:00 AM »
You can use a scope in WA. You can use 209s as well. Just saying........... :chuckle:

As to your question, it's a pretty simple answer. Whatever you're comfortable with depending on your own accuracy, with a pinch of ballistics thrown in. My comfort level is not the same as the next guy's, but that doesn't mean that either of us are wrong. Do your homework and you'll figure it out. Figure in a fudge error attributed to higher adrenaline than shooting paper.

Offline RoyBoy

• The Buck Creek Kid
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: "Coyote 5.0"
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 11:33:03 AM »
it all depends on the Muzzy but id range from 180-250 yards
"It aint about how hard you hit. Its about how hard you can hit and keep moving forward! how much you can take and keep moving forward!!

-Rocky

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »
Many years ago while hunting elk in the Blues, I sighted my T/C Renegade .54 caliber in at a local range.  For the heck of it after getting it where I wanted it, shot it out to 300 yards.  No problem hitting the 10 inch metal plate at that range, every time.

Would I shoot at an animal at 300 yards.  Hell no.  My self imposed range maximum would be somewhere from 150-200 max, only if everything was perfect.  Never have shot at anything over 120 yards with most being under 80.  Most of the time there is always opportunities to get closer or have the animal move closer if you're doing things right.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 08:05:43 AM »
Thanks guys,
I'm gonna get dialed in at 100, and then have a max out to 200. Currently putting half inch groups at 100. Gotta love the BH 209!

Offline dvolmer

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:56 PM »
I have shot three elk and a dozen or so deer in this state with a muzzleloader and all of them have been between 10 to 90 yards.  I am no marksman and shoot a Remington in-line 700-ML with 110 grains of tripple 7 and Power Belt bullets.  I dont know how you all shoot out past 100 yards in this state without a scope.  I dont know how you guys hit pie plates at 300 yards.  Not saying you dont but my pin at the end of my gun out past 100 yards covers half the animal.  I am not sure but would bet at 300 yards it would cover the whole animal and about 6 pie plates.  When shooting elk size game you have to start wondering about foot pounds of energy and bullet penitration out past 120 yards or so if I am guessing right.  I might be wrong and I know Muzzleloaders have come along way in the last few years but this is just what I have experienced hunting with them for the last 10 plus years.  Long shots without a scope I feel are foolish and will end up with a lot of wounded animals.  If you are going to take long shots I would reccomend a lot of time at the range.  this will let you know what your gun can and cant do. 
Zonk Volmer

Offline HoofsandWings

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
  • RETIRED
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »
I think those that shoot past 100 yards have much narrower front pins and probably peep sights with smaller diameter peeps.
Gathering is easy. Hunting is a challenge.
WSF, WCA, RMEF, Rooster Booster, NWTF, NRA

Offline hunterrcc

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2012, 03:37:26 PM »
Depends on gun, animal, open sights or scope, conditions, what type of rest you have, powder, bullet & much more.

Elk 210-250yards or less
Deer 165-200yards or less
Open sights, Inline TC, 100-150gr powder, 180-250 gr bullet. with dead rest on bipods on the ground laying down broad side shot standing still.

But I know my gun and shoot it a lot first couple years hunting with it 130yards was my max.  But really most animals I have been able to get under 100yards pretty easy with a rifle and muzzleloader without trying real hard just use the wind and be quiet. 

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2012, 04:34:35 PM »
100 yards all day long, i have bow hunted for many many years. i can get that close. Why not try to get closer. To each his own. lots of times they will stand there at 100 or 120 and watch ya. Its under 100 that is the hard part.

Offline Alaskan

• Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Big hikes equal big horns!
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2012, 05:17:55 PM »
Great point about closing the distance to 100-150 yards. However, last year when bow hunting in New Mexico, I had three seperate bulls bugeling across canyon's that were around 200-220. I am hunting in the same unit with a muzzy this year and hope the same opportunities that happened during archery season, will happen during muzzy!!!!

Thanks for the advice guys! Gonna keep it under 200!

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
Good luck on New Mexico. Thats on my bbucket list...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]