collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: High Hunt Tips  (Read 8653 times)

Offline throttlejocky20

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: High Hunt Tips
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
Commit at least 5 full days of hunting. No sense in getting in shape, purchasing the gear and spending time and money scouting then only hunting three days. Success rates go up dramatically the longer you hunt. Probably best to plan on a solid week but 5 days min for a hunt like that. I think that is one of the most important things.
better re-emphasize being in shape if your talking 5 days worth of gear to be carried and living in the mountains that long
I did 4 days last year and I agree about being in shape. I am heading into a different draw (The one I spotted some good bucks but couldent get to) before the season. Dont head to an area to hunt you havent hunted. I did this and your hunting gear is alot of extra weight to pack for a scouting trip!
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline zrmorgan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: RMEF
Re: High Hunt Tips
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2012, 06:15:38 PM »
1.  tell someone where you are going to be and when if you are going alone...no matter how in shape you are you can break an ankle, especially if you are successful and find your pack is now 80 pounds heavier on the way out.  have a contingency plan if you get injured...I have been unable to lighten my pack by taking out a personal location beacon

2.  if you are in good shape, and don't break an ankle you will still need water....plan a way in and way out that has a water source you can filter / purify from....WA wilderness areas are pretty generous in this regard.

3.  Scouting / gear test trips are a great idea...unfortunately I have wasted a lot of time futzin with my new gear when I could have been out glassing the hillsides...I am a newbie myself and have found that the less cool crap I have the more I learn about the wilderness around me and less about expensive gadgets that weigh my pack down....

good luck!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1