collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Back country boots?  (Read 12449 times)

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
Back country boots?
« on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:26 AM »
Alright I covered clothing in a previous post. Was wondering what everyones opinion is on a good high country hiking/hunting boot for washingtons high country? I have used my danner elk hunters the last couple years and they are just to bulky. A little heavy! They also start to hurt the bottoms of my feet after about 6 hours of hiking/hunting. I'm in the market for something a little lighter and more comfortable. Of course waterproof and good traction to. I guess I'm looking for the whole package.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Back country boots?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 09:19:14 AM »
I use the Vasque Summit GTX. Very comfortable, sturdy, great traction.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:12 AM »
let me run down the most popular list i can think of but it really comes down to what fits your feet.
kenetrek, lowa, vasque, meindl, asolo, hanwag....

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 10:23:20 AM »
    Elk Hunter magazine and Western Hunter just ran a couple articles on boots that were very informative. If you can find them they are worth a read if looking at new boots.

Boots are tough. Period. What may be a dream boot for one guy, is hell for another. In my limited circle of friends, we all have different preferences in boots. The problem is compounded by the fact that its difficult to really evaluate a boot without buying them first. Many of the upper end boots require a significant breakin if using a PU midsole, and even EVA can require some floor time. Then factor in thats IF you can find the boots available to try on first and its easy to see why folks get passionate about their boots.

The truth is any of the quality manufactures are gonna make a great boot, built to last and be comfortable.

Heres my :twocents:  Try on as many as you can prior to purchase, and that may take some time. Once you have narrowed down the choices of boots that may fill your need, try to locate a place to try them on. Keep notes on exactly what sizes fit you, and in what brands. Any you cant try on, give a call to the company. Outfits like kenetrek, and schnees want your business and their folks are super helpful in trying to get you into the right size. Thats where the notes come in handy, often times they can reccomend a size based on that info. Also ask them questions about a return policy and break in information. Once you do decide on a pair, wear them inside, and get them on a treadmill. At home or gym whatever... just put some miles on them.  I like to use varied setting up hill and flat. downhill is tough, but going down stairs is close. If after putting some mileage on you are getting a bad vibe through this test run send em back or return em. And try another pair. Good luck!

Offline AKBowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 02:56:10 PM »
I've used different models of Asolo's over the past 10 years. I think the key is no matter what manufacturer you get is to throw away the insoles that come with the boot and buy a set of Superfeet insoles. IMO this makes all the difference in the world.

The Asolo models I have worn are the Alpinist, which is great for high hunts or any type of really steep terrain and Fugitive GTX. For elk hunting I would say the Alpinist were slightly over kill on shank stiffness and ankle support. I like the GTX's for the reason they are lighter and slightly better when pushing the mtn bike uphill in the mornings on the logging roads.
"All you can do is hunt” - Roy Roth

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Yea AK thumbs up for the superfeet. I forgot about that.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 10:10:09 PM »
 :yeah:

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 12:06:05 PM »
So I bought the summit vasque GTX boots and they seemed very comfy and like they were going to work great. I worked out on my stair stepper a few times with them on to see how they would fit and they seemed great. However when I actually hit the woods with them they were comfy and worked great for everything except for they seem to rub the bone on the sied of my ankle. Well I guess it would be about 3 inches above my ankle bone, anyway its not blistering or anything just ends up bruising the bone and leaves a lunp there. Whats happening is the top of the boot is rubbing that spot. Anybody else have this problem :dunno:and I was looking for suggestions on how to cure this. Should I put padding in that area or something until they soften up?

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 12:13:53 PM »
Try sticking a mole skin patch to your ankle till that areas broken in completely.

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »
Right on I will try that thanks.

Offline link

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:46:40 PM »
look on the classifieds. There is a pretty good deal on some Kennetreks. They are great boots.

Offline Bshiftbc

• Scout
  • Let's get Elk Eyed!
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:49 PM »
I love my Kenetreks. They gave some great deals on Camofire once in a while too.
This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave.  ~Elmer Davis

Offline BrushChimp

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Just got a pair of Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's here awhile back and love them so far. They were really comfortable right out of the box, but still seem stiff enough to provide good support for packing heavy loads out of the mountains after a successful hunt.

Offline bow-n-head

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
You mention the bottoms of your feet hurt. I have the same problem, and I have tried 75% of the afore mentioned boots. What helped me the most was a very soft insole. I just bought a pair of Crispi's on Camofire.

Offline norsepeak

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
Kenetreck or Lathrop & Sons.  I have both and love them.  Remember, you get what you pay for, spend the money on some high quality boots and don't look back.  I've put a LOT of miles on both brands and they are still going strong.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 09:46:56 PM »
All the above mentioned boots are made very well and will last, but it comes down to each individual and what your feet like..I bought the Alaskan Meindl and am struggling to find something socks, footbeds etc to keep my feet from getting sore..I get about 3 straight hours of climbing and then all the sudden feet are hurting

Offline 180-GRAIN

• Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 10:47:07 AM »
bought a pair of kenetrek boots a couple days ago, the mountain extreme 400s. Bought these for winter hunting. I bought the vasques for summer hiking and hunting.

Offline summit creek

• Scout
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 08:47:38 PM »
you need to buy a set of cork boots in the high country your not on the roads serious guys try em once you hunt in calks you wont go back to regular boots not ever i wear my slipers to my spot and put on the corks and if im hunting on a road i walk on the grass or the center of the road 2 lesson the nois

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
All the above mentioned boots are made very well and will last, but it comes down to each individual and what your feet like..

Exactly!!! For me the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes fit great, have great support and the lacing system is the best I have used.

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
I spent about four years and thousands of dollars looking for a good high mountain boot that did not kill my feet.  Finally ended up with La Sportiva Trango GTX ALP.  Of course, like always, they quit making it as soon as I found something I liked. It is now called TRANGO EXT. EVO LIGHT GTX and is insulated where the Alp was not and no longer has metal loops in the lower.  This is a mountaineering boot rather than a hunting boot.  But I have found no light hunting boot that even comes close. Maybe the Hanwag Mountain Light GTX but I found it to loosen and not grip as well on descent.

The boot fits so perfectly that you really can not add any of the Superfeet and keep the fit correct.  Not even when going a half size up.  So I ordered the Lathrop & Son's foot bed.  Wow!  That thing is awesome!!!  A week later I ordered L&S beds for every pair of boots and shoes I own.  I still get some soreness in my heal if pack weight exceeds 60#.  But I'd guess with my feet that would happen regardless of footbed.  That's what happens when you're an old, fat, broken, tender foot. ;)
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
I tried many different brands and still I got blisters.  I hike very hard for long distances and kept wearing out my skin.  A couple of years ago I tried something that eliminated blisters from my life.  If I'm hiking more than 10 miles, I stop frequently and take my boots and socks off to dry out my feet.  If I'm going slow or it is cold weather it doesn't matter and I don't bother.  If it is hot and I'm pounding the miles, taking 15 minutes to dry my feet a couple of times a day has cured my blister issue. 

FWIW, I'm using Kenetrek boots now.  I tried tape, moleskin, double socks, everything and then some.  Drying my feet has proved to be the single best thing I've ever tried.   

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 10:30:31 PM »
The most comfortable pair of hikers I have ever owned are Keen boots...I am considering buying another pair for the earlier part of the season..they last me 3 years and more miles than I can even count

Offline Deepinthetrees

• Pilgrim
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
If you are looking to prevent blisters get some Leukotape.  That stuff is great.  I just put a strip around each heel.  It will last for 2-3 days in rough country, even lasts through getting wet. 

Regarding boots:  I have the Meindl Denali from Cabelas.  These are a great boot.  My bro has the Hanwag Mtn Lites from Lathrop and Son's, and he loves them.  Wade has some good boot review info (among various other gear) on his site http://hardcoreoutdoor.com/categories/263/feet-1.aspx

Good Luck!

Offline wilsongideon

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2012, 09:20:30 PM »
I found a pair of cabelas meindl's ultralights in the bargin cave my size. Always looking for a better boot I am really happy with these boots.  I love the triple stitching they are holding up really good and I have put alot of miles on them. they are not insulated. As a hunting hiking boot I would recommend these boots. after 15 plus miles in one day I finally got some soreness but definitly a better boot then the Merrel Lightwieght hikers I had previously wore. I will be buying another pair of these when these wear out .
In pursuit of public land mulies

Offline throttlejocky20

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:14 AM »
I just got back from a 5 day trip and I put over 30 miles on my feet. Cabelas Danner elk hunters 8 inch 400 grams and no blisters.
Remember that buck is climbing that Mt. every day!

Offline jechicdr

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 12:31:05 PM »
let me run down the most popular list i can think of but it really comes down to what fits your feet.
kenetrek, lowa, vasque, meindl, asolo, hanwag....
I have Kenetrek and Asolo boots.  The Asolos are lighter, but not as comfortable as my Kenetrek.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal