collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Dangerous Precedent- DNR Gives Gate Keys To Tribes for Bear Hunting, What's Next  (Read 45630 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
I was asked to share the following message with the public by a concerned citizen who wishes to remain anonymous.

The concerns that I was asked to share:

If the tribes can be used to control bear populations on state land with baiting and hounds, (the general public cannot) and this is allowed to happen, how many more areas will tribes be used to manage overpopulated bear and what other species will the tribes be used to manage wildlife by state or federal agencies simply because the tribes can use hunting methods which have been made illegal for other hunters to use.

What effects will this have on hunting opportunities for the general public to allow the tribes to manage wildlife on public land using methods and with access that the general public does not have.

If DNR is allowed to utilize this type of management, will this set a precedent that will eventually change the course of wildlife management from this time forward.

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 12:52 PM
To:
Subject: Bears on DNR lands

Good Morning,

Sergeant Chandler called me this am to let me know that Brian Ballard, a manager within DNR’s South Puget Region, has issued gate keys and permission to hunt over bait on all their lands south of Hwy 18 to the Muckleshoot Tribe.  Our guess is that this is their way of solving their peeling problems.  We realize there’s not much we can say about their decision, but obviously there are some issues for us:

1)      WDFW officers will not be able to distinguish a tribal bait pile from an illegal one
2)      Officer safety could become a factor because of the confusion over who has a right to hunt vs those who don’t
3)      Non-tribal hunters will likely be dismayed because they don’t have access, can’t use bait, and can’t hunt at this time of the year
4)      Non-hunters in King County will likely be dismayed over bears killed in the spring using bait

We wanted to make you aware of their decision.  Please let me know if you want Kim or me to do anything other than monitor the situation, which his detachment will do as time permits.

Thanks,
Ruth

Ruth L. Milner
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
District Wildlife Biologist
PO Box 1100
La Conner, WA 98257
360-466-4345 ext 265
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
I was asked to share the following message with the public by a concerned citizen who wishes to remain anonymous.

The concerns that I was asked to share:

If the tribes can be used to control bear populations on state land with baiting and hounds, (the general public cannot) and this is allowed to happen, how many more areas will tribes be used to manage overpopulated bear and what other species will the tribes be used to manage wildlife by state or federal agencies simply because the tribes can use hunting methods which have been made illegal for other hunters to use.

What effects will this have on hunting opportunities for the general public to allow the tribes to manage wildlife on public land using methods and with access that the general public does not have.

If DNR is allowed to utilize this type of management, will this set a precedent that will eventually change the course of wildlife management from this time forward.

Sent: Friday, May 20, 2011 12:52 PM
To:
Subject: Bears on DNR lands

Good Morning,

Sergeant Chandler called me this am to let me know that Brian Ballard, a manager within DNR’s South Puget Region, has issued gate keys and permission to hunt over bait on all their lands south of Hwy 18 to the Muckleshoot Tribe.  Our guess is that this is their way of solving their peeling problems.  We realize there’s not much we can say about their decision, but obviously there are some issues for us:

1)      WDFW officers will not be able to distinguish a tribal bait pile from an illegal one
2)      Officer safety could become a factor because of the confusion over who has a right to hunt vs those who don’t
3)      Non-tribal hunters will likely be dismayed because they don’t have access, can’t use bait, and can’t hunt at this time of the year
4)      Non-hunters in King County will likely be dismayed over bears killed in the spring using bait

We wanted to make you aware of their decision.  Please let me know if you want Kim or me to do anything other than monitor the situation, which his detachment will do as time permits.

Thanks,
Ruth

Ruth L. Milner
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
District Wildlife Biologist
PO Box 1100
La Conner, WA 98257
360-466-4345 ext 265
just freaken lovely ... everyday that goes by they have something new up their sleeve ... I know ruth so I will be writting to her ASAP ....They need a serious awakening ... lets all quit hunting and fishing and see what that brings to the plate !!! :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline Old Dog

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Old Dog
They charge us for a Discover Pass, and then give keys to the native americans.  That's  :crap:
Hunt hard and shoot straight!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
I'm so confused with their convoluted logic....Oh maybe because because it cannot be explained very well I must not be smart enough for their higher thinking.  :bash:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
Well Dale,

I was going to wait until we were in WFW committee before I spoke out on this but here is my  :twocents: . This State hates us. They don't like the idea of anything being hunted & killed by evil white men. (Tribal hunters are not evil.) Wolves will reduce populations of everything by 25% to 50%. Expect harvestable opportunity for average people to be reduced by half of what it is now. With that said, if say the number of elk available for harvest is only 4000 and Natives already take between 1000 and 2000 the numbers are equal between Natives and the "General" population of humans. That is what this ALL is about in my opinion. That is why we NEED so many wolves. Then this nagging issue of Tribal hunting verses the rest of us will be ended. Our Politicians can continue the very important business of over regulating Washington, perfect standardized testing for education, increasing taxes, and running businesses into the ground. Did you know that Washington State ranks 44th out of 50 in the most free States in America? (50th would be the worst.)

Tribes are considered "partners" with State Agencies, they are part of the solution. We are considered adversaries. After all, we are evil.
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
This type of tribal bear hunting has been going on for quite some time now.  All the more reason WDFW management is horses*#t.  It makes you wonder what's next, as they can pull this crap and fly by with it.   >:(

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
So we came to this country and we won and then we claimed we are a free people and we gave states the rights to manage themselves all so we could become oppressed and treated like criminals for simply wanting to live our lives  :dunno:  making sure I have this right because when the losers of a war/game/etc have more rights than the winners it seems to me something has gone very very wrong....

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
This type of tribal bear hunting has been going on for quite some time now.  All the more reason WDFW management is horses*#t.  It makes you wonder what's next, as they can pull this crap and fly by with it.   >:(

Is it the Colville's you are referring too? I am aware the Colville's can hunt the north half but that is a different situation, the Colville's reserved hunting rights on the north half and I do not have issue with that. This situation in western Washington I am told is different.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
I just left ruth a voice mail saying i thought that they should atleast split the oppertunity up with non tribal members and how unfair it is that they are allowed to use methods non tribal members cannot.Probably the wrong person to leave message for but i had to say something
jim
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline Wenatcheejay

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
So we came to this country and we won and then we claimed we are a free people and we gave states the rights to manage themselves all so we could become oppressed and treated like criminals for simply wanting to live our lives  :dunno:  making sure I have this right because when the losers of a war/game/etc have more rights than the winners it seems to me something has gone very very wrong....

You are especially evil because you side with us EWM. (Evil White Men.)
 ;)
MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN.

Offline BOWHUNTER45

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
What we should do is sent these discussions to the governor so she can see what we are saying about this state ... make sense ?

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Longhunter
What we should do is sent these discussions to the governor so she can see what we are saying about this state ... make sense ?

And copy your elected reps, flood them with emails and voicemails on this thing, especially in light of them passing the Discovery Pass.

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
There goes my elk spot. I hunt behind some gates on DNR land. The elk population will hit the dirt too

Offline Gamblin Guy

• Longhunter
Dear Elected Representatives,

It has been brought to the attention of the sportsman of this state that we are once again being treated as second class citizens by the Department of Natural Resources.  I would like to say that I am surprised but sadly I am not.  Please take a minute and read the following post:

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,77711.msg956038/topicseen.html#new

As you are aware, hunting over bait for bears was outlawed several years ago but it appears someone within the DNR has decided to allow a select group ignore that law on state owned lands. 

As a long time resident and sportsman in Washington, it is becoming harder and harder for me to continue to purchase hunting and fishing licenses for myself and my two children when these types of decision are made. 

Respectfully,

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal