Free Domestic Economy Shipping A lightweight orange vest that complements your technical hunting apparel!

Author Topic: A few questions on unit 636 Skok  (Read 395 times)

Offline Natas5150

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • **
  • Join Date: Mar 2011
  • Posts: 91
A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
So on Sunday I drove out to Matlock area to do some scouting which is apart of the Skokomish unit 636. I saw gates with no trespassing signs all over. I took a left at the four way intersection in Matlock and headed back to Brady. I did see a bunch of clear cuts but again no trespassing signs. I did not stop to read what the sign actually said just could see it saying no trespassing. Over the last few days I have done research on the area believing all that land out there couldn't be private. So i went to Green Diamond website and looked at a map of the area which showed it was all private but you could apply for a permit to gain access to these areas. Has anyone done this and can I still apply for a permit or is it to late in the season? Is there public land out there that i missed? I did not go right which would lead up into the Olympics. Is there public or private land out that way? The areas I normally hunt are public land such as the Pope and Talbot land in and around Kitsap and Mason counties. i have also hunted above the Skok river near the high steel bridge which is public. Problem is in these areas I tend to see a lot of hunters :bash: So is it worth the $125 to pay for access to the Green Diamond land? And are the permits taken for this season?

Thanks in advance.

Offline onmygame

  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • *
  • Join Date: Mar 2017
  • Posts: 31
  • Location: Tacoma
Re: A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
Everything south of the Matlock / Deckerville Rd and Shelton / Matlock Rd owned by Green Diamond is Permit Only.

North of these roads are a series of USFS roads that traverse Green Diamond land - and all are part of the Dot System, where Green Dotted gates are open to motor vehicles, and Red Dotted gates are walk in only.

There is a TON of land open to the public that goes all the way up and into the Olympic Natl Forest.

Lots of pressure, mostly road hunters, so getting off the road or choosing a Red Dotted gate to hunt is your best option. Just don't block the gate as there are brush pickers with bobtail trucks as well as low boys and log trucks that need to get through at times.

I was out there day before yesterday, and my boys are out there today. We haven't seen as many deer this year but have all taken grouse and have also picked some nice chanterelles.

Before you enter any gate - stop to read the sign - they vary, and all gates have them.

Safe hunting.

Offline fishnfur

  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • *
  • Join Date: Nov 2014
  • Posts: 2460
  • Location: longview
Re: A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »

On the drop-down on the U/R corner of the map, if you choose "public land", you can find a place to hunt in your area.  Pope and Talbot lands are not public lands - they just allow access to their commercial timberlands without a trespass fee.

Also, you prob. need to call Green Diamond to determine whether they still have permits for sale. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers


* Recent Topics

Wolves tree DNR worker in Okanogan county by CAMPMEAT
[Today at 07:40:04 AM]

What makes good taxidermy? by Rainier10
[Today at 07:34:30 AM]

WTS 2008 Ford F350 4x4 Dually 6.4L Turbo Only 81K miles. Price drop $17,000 by daddysprad
[Today at 07:30:20 AM]

2018 Area 9 and 10 Summer Kings by h20hunter
[Today at 07:25:42 AM]

Blue Creek - GMU 154 Archery Bull Tag by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:05:22 AM]

Good luck in the raffle guys/gals! by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:01:35 AM]

Mandatory bear ID test by Jpmiller
[Today at 06:49:35 AM]

Side by Side or Jeep by klikboom
[Today at 06:43:03 AM]

Winthrop bird hunting by birddogdad
[Today at 06:39:54 AM]

2003 mercury bigfoot kicker by spoonman
[Today at 06:34:40 AM]

Outlawing electrical mountain bikes in Washington? by scoutdog346
[Today at 05:31:39 AM]

Nevada's New Trail Cam Law by Skyvalhunter
[Today at 05:27:21 AM]

338 375 ruger build by jasnt
[Today at 05:10:26 AM]

Idaho Spring Bear 2018 Video by westside Elkhunter
[Today at 02:31:14 AM]

Huntwa bear id test by Skillet
[Today at 12:20:41 AM]

WTB: Youth Shotgun by dblungshot
[Yesterday at 11:37:04 PM]

Blackhorn 209 Charges out of a CVA Accura V2 LR by spookgus
[Yesterday at 11:07:25 PM]

CVA Wolf accuracy by flyfishWA
[Yesterday at 11:04:48 PM]

Anybody actually have a 6.5 PRC? by bullfisher
[Yesterday at 10:45:04 PM]

Lick Creek Pressure? by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:38:16 PM]