collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 1st year pack  (Read 1807 times)

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
1st year pack
« on: July 18, 2014, 06:53:54 PM »
Some have probably seen I am a new hunter this year.  Goal is successfull Early Archery Deer.  Part of the fun now is gearing up and making sure I have the basics.  Right now the plan is day hunts in Eastern WA with a friend on weekends outside of Wenatchee.  We will be driving in each day and setting out.  I may also try some after work, or alternating weekends here on the wetside based on contact with other members here.

I am also unsure as to what size pack to get 900, 1200, 2000, 3000 cubic inches?  I have been told by a few people not to start too large as then the tendancy is to keep throwing more stuff into it and then end up with a overly heavy pack for the task at hand.

I saw some decent packs @ sportco, ranging from 930-1800, and one @ 3000".  Trying not to break the bank as I have much gear still to buy, hoping to stay in the <=$50 point for now, so that I can afford all the stuff below and boots, binocs...

This is the lst of what I have come up with so far to have in/on the pack.
light raingear / poncho
Bow Sling
Pack   
   1st aid
   flashlight
   batteries
   water bottles
   water filtration
   emergency blanket
   knifes
   toilet paper
   binocs
   binoc harness
   range finder
   sunscreen
   bug repellant
   dayglow tape
   latex gloves
   Work gloves
   Game bags
   Gallon Ziplock bags
   walkie talkies

Anything big and glaring I missed?  Is this too much for what I plan to do?

Offline northwesthunter84

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Longhunter
Re: 1st year pack
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 09:20:13 PM »
For a day pack I would look at around the 1500-2000 ci range.  Also think about how you are going to get the animal out.  I ran a X1 last year for a day pack then used a pack frame to haul meat back to the truck.  This year I got a pack that can handle it all.  I think there are a few cheaper packs out there that wont break the bank.  There is a great thread about military packs on ebay/craigslist that work well for about $80.  For the extra $30 that might be worth it.

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:38:49 PM »
Sweet thanks, I will search for that link!

I saw this one today @ Sportco that really caught my eye.  The stand out's were heavy,m well padded and wide shuld and waist straps.  plenty of external pockets, good adjustment cinches for belt and shoulders and bottom, just all around solid pack, but only 1600cuin which was my concern.  Right at the $42 range.
http://allencompany.net/packs/pagosa-day-pack-1256.html

They had a 3k bag from another Mfg, that did not have the good belt and shoulder straps and I thought might bite in over time.

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
id probably look for a used eberle x2 or badlands 2200 if you want camo. otherwise id get a neutral color from rei that fits well. like a gregory z40 or an osprey kestrel 38.

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 03:47:05 PM »
For your first year, try to find something used on Craigslist.  There are good packs that come up all the time.  If money is tight, take any 'ol back pack you have (you don't need camo).  Spend more money on binoculars and a spotting scope.  After time you will figure out what you like.

I like to take one small flashlight that twists on and a head lamp.  Both run on double A's and I turn the batteries backward in the head lamp so it doesn't get turned on by accident. I shove the headlamp way down into the pack so I can't accidentally lose it when opening up the pack.  The flashlight is always in my pocket along with a few matches.  This way you won't need spare batteries and if you somehow get separated from your pack you have the basics.  Your radio's probably run on double A's too (maybe your rangefinder)?  Ditch the spare batteries.

A 10' piece of paracord is pretty nice to have. You don't need to get carried away with too much but just a little length is nice for lashing on a hind quarter or repairing a boot lace. 

Try packing a few baby wipes in a ziplock bag.  Baby wipes can be used for so much more then TP and then you can ditch the other ziplocks and use the baby wipe bag if you need it.  Keep your snacks in a ziplock and your matches/pitchwood/char cloth then you have another ziplock or two. 

With the baby wipes, I dehydrate mine by letting them set out and dry out.  Then, if I need them, I can poor a little water on them to re-hydrate them.  Not such a big deal for a day hunt but if you ever go backcountry for a week it is nice to carry less weight.

Keep a small bic lighter, a small flashlight and pocket knife in your pocket(s) all the time.  When it comes down to it you don't need much more then that anyway.             

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:11 PM »
There was a crooked horn outfitter pack in the classifieds for 20$! It's a helluva a pack 2000ish ci and they lady for ever I used one for 10 years 30+ days a year in the field and it's still a good pack. It's big enough for a boned out deer
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline cvandervort

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 04:31:50 PM »
One thing about seattleites...they shop at REI every weekend and craigslist it all the next!
I've found a ton of good gear on OfferUp (an app) and craigslist.  You could get an OK used rig for that.
Another thought: I've seen a lot of the old school external frame packs for sale on those sites...kill two birds and get a packframe too?
As far as gear goes: you could ditch the space blanket and pare the first aid down to duct tape and some basic meds...
For Pete's sake...pick up your feet, man!

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »
many people advocate ditching the space blanket. i feel its a solid multipurpose item. theyre cheap, weigh just over an oz, and are great for laying boned out meat

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]