collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Youth turkey 2016  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Major Caruncles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Youth turkey 2016
« on: April 17, 2016, 05:44:42 PM »
Late post here, but had a very successful youth turkey season. I had the privilege of taking my brother in law (he's 13) on his first ever turkey hunt. Actually, on his first hunt behind the gun for anything. We headed over the day before the opener and got to get the blood flowing seeing numerous gobblers that evening. The next morning we got up early and headed to the property we were set to hunt. We reached our blind about 30 minutes before shooting light and settled in. Having rooster the birds the night before, we knew their pattern and where they would fly down. Or so we thought. As it got light, we heard the birds begin to fly down. We could hear at least two Toms nearing our set up. I was set up about 10 yards behind my brother in law and father in law, with my calls. As I heard the gobbling get closer, I peaked to my right to see a large tom in full strut at approximately 20 yards. I tried to get my father in laws attention and finally did... Only problem was the bird had skirted up the hill past me.. At about 10 yards. If only it was general season. We sat for another 2 hours and didn't see another bird. We went back to camp and regrouped.

Hunt #2: By now it was about 945 and we decided to head deeper onto the property to see what we could find. We drove about a mile and a half in and parked. We walked to a plateau and hit a hen call. We heard a hen respond deep in the bottom of the valley below. We decided to stick around and see what would happen. Before setting up, we peaked over the edge of the plateau and when we did we saw 3 big toms that had snuck in silent at about ten yards!! I grabbed my brother in law and got him set up as the birds moved away. Just before the last one disappeared he shot and dropped it! A big tom with a 9 3/4" beard.

Hunt #3: that night we went to another property with the hopes of filling his second tag. We heard some birds and set up. Within ten minutes of setting up, turkey's began to fly in from behind us. Weird. They began to land about 30 yards to our right, and my brother in law turned and made a great shot on a jake. After grabbing his bird, we saw three hunters walking the fence line behind us, they must've scared the birds right into our lap. Anyways it was a great trip and I think my brother in law is hooked!!!
They're gonna be where you find 'em

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: Youth turkey 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 06:34:14 PM »
Sounds like a great time. Congrats to the kid with that big ole tom. :tup:

Offline Tree Killer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter