collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: new to the forum:)  (Read 1695 times)

Offline Bobby Bowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
new to the forum:)
« on: July 19, 2018, 10:34:36 PM »
Hey Everybody,

I am new member to the forum. I really enjoy reading and learning about all of the topics posted. I am going into my 3rd season of hunting, all with bow, no luck so far, but nothing beats being out in the woods. I have only hunted Unit 204 and am planning on doing so again this year . What are some good tactics for hunting the Oka. Forest near Tonasket you all use?? So far I have been sitting in my stand for part of the day near some trail intersections and also tip toeing trough the woods then stopping to do some bino work. How do you all hunt the forests? Thanks! September cant get here fast enough!

-Bobby

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
Re: new to the forum:)
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 10:45:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

Maybe exactly what you're doing,I don't travel much in the area of my stand.I go in same route every time trying not to disturb or leave scent any more than necessary getting in and out.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 11:18:14 PM »
Hunting in a stand near busy deer trails should have been productive already, I would rethink how you are doing everything, maybe there's something that's keeping deer away? Here are a few quick thoughts:

What about deodorant, shampoos, and laundry detergent, best to use unscented?
Is there fresh deer sign, I refuse to waste time sitting in areas that do not have fresh sign?
Make sure the wind is not going from you towards where the animals are expected to be.
If you are rifle hunting sit back as far as possible to better avoid detection.
Be very still and patient, perhaps you have been moving too much or not sitting long enough?
Are there other disturbances close to your hunting spots, traffic, hikers, campers, equipment?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  I'm no help stand hunting with stick and string, but if you want my thoughts on spot and stalk hunting the open/mixed country, I have all kinds of mostly-useless thoughts on that subject  :chuckle:

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 08:52:44 AM »
Key to bowhunting, PATIENCE!  Keep searching for better and better places that hold game...  it takes years sometimes to find the perfect spot to sit and wait..  Dont go back to camp at midday, stick it out all day everyday. 

I took up the archery thing 4 years ago and got very discouraged my first few years. But keep your nose in the wind and you will find success. 

I rotate days of sitting and spot and stalking.  All your times getting busted  stalking will teach you valuable lessons!!!  Pay attention to why you failed!!!!

Last but not least don't be afraid to get aggresive,  many times it will pay off.. 

Good luck....
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

Online jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2018, 09:47:04 AM »
You will feel more accomplished bow hunting. I have been bow hunting for 25 years or so. I still screw up. It’s usually because I am to focused on the animal I am stalking and don’t see the other animal laying there looking at me. Patience is a virtue grasshopper.

Good Luck

Offline Bobby Bowman

• Pilgrim
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2018, 07:41:43 PM »
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I need to be more patient:) I would love to abondon stand hunting all together and just stalk but the forest is so crunchy in September and those Mule Deer have some big ol’ ears maybe staying put is the way to go.

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »
Are you using a tree stand? Or ground blind?

I like a ground blind because I can set it back in the shadows and cover with some fresh boughs. Use scent away. And peein a gallon sip lock ,carry out at days end.

Good luck.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 09:12:40 PM »
I've wanted to hunt out there but my truck absolutely refuses to go east.  It goes North, South, and West just fine, but I've been unable to coax it to go past the Mossyrock area.  :dunno:

Check out the hunting prospects pages for district 6, pages 6 - 9 for info on hunting Mule Deer and WTs in that area: https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/prospects/2017/district06.pdf 
The new report for 2018 should be out in the next couple weeks, so check back at WDFW for that too.

There's an outdated webpage at: http://huntwashingtonstate.com/     It has sections on hunting WT and Mule Deer that may be worth a read as well. 

A trail cam can give you confidence that you're in the right area, but as BearPaw said, if you're not seeing a lot of fresh sign in the area you're hunting, move on.

If you really want to get into deer, you might want to try where deer numbers are highest.  A review of the past couple of years hunter harvest reports (https://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/harvest/2017/reports/deer_gmu_all.php) will show you where deer harvest success is highest.  If you're willing to drive a bit and you don't mind bumping into other hunters, you might want to check out areas like 117, 121, 124 or others.   :twocents:   Good luck!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal