collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Transmission flush vs drain and fill  (Read 7619 times)

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
Transmission flush vs drain and fill
« on: August 02, 2019, 10:54:07 PM »
The transmission fluid on my Tacoma is dirty with 240,000 miles on it I’m hearing don’t flush it as it’s not good for it and to drain and fill and some are saying the exact opposite of hats some of your thoughts and why
Thanks Jake

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Transmission flush vs drain and fill
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
IF it were me I would flush it.  Fairly easy to do.  By only dropping the pan and replacing the filter you are only getting half or less of the dirty fluid out.

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 04:39:05 AM »
IF it were me I would flush it.  Fairly easy to do.  By only dropping the pan and replacing the filter you are only getting half or less of the dirty fluid out.
ya but from what I’m understanding is with this many miles you want to keep some of the “dirty “ fluid as it will aid in it not slipping  :dunno:

Offline Zuus

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 05:55:16 AM »
I had the tranny flushed on my 2000 4runner at 170k. I was told the same thing, that problems may occur after. Well, about a month later I had to have the tranny rebuilt. It was inevitable, but the fluid change sped up the process.
Many rigs do not have a drain for the torque converter, so if you do it yourself, you only get a small portion of the fluid drained.
Having the tranny flushed BEFORE it gets dirty is a good idea. Extends the life of the tranny by keeping clean fluid running through it
It's about $200 with tax. Just had Jiffy Lube do my Jeep yesterday.
"Just cause you got a big mouth, don't make you a big man"  John Wayne

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 07:09:48 AM »
Several years ago Toyota did not recommend tranny flushes. That may have changed, but I would see what Toyota says before I did it.

Offline luckyman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 07:35:04 AM »
You can do both. Drop the pan and clean it and replace the filter then do a flush. If your trans end up failing it was probably five minute away from the end of life already. I had one fail right after doing a fluid change and thought dang. I should have never did the fluid change but then I remembered the reason for the cleaning was it had been not shifting right and  acting up previously.
I'm not sure.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 08:15:40 AM »
I've had three rigs now in the 250-300k range.  One one, I had Jiffy flush the tranny at about 100k (no filter change).  The second rig, I dropped the pan, drained the fluid and replaced the filter at about 175k.  The third rig, I did nothing at all.  They all ran the same, no change in slipping, shifting or transmission life between the three.

I'm at the point now that if it is working well to just leave it alone.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 09:53:54 AM »
If the transmission is slipping already, it won’t matter what you do to it. The damage is already done.

People used to say a flush is too aggressive on higher miles transmissions that have never been flushed. We only flush transmissions. I can only think of one problem we’ve had and it was my technicians fault. Customer got a new transmission out of it. I don’t know if any manufacturers actually say to flush transmissions. Specifically Ford says to “change” transmission fluid.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JakeLand

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 10:22:19 AM »
It’s not slipping or anything weird it’s just the dealership tech when I got the oil changed said the transmission fluid was dirty and I’m no mechanic for sure but just trying to get some good inputs from the crew here

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 10:49:09 AM »
I’d do it.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 11:49:53 AM »
With that many miles, I'd say no. Just a fluid and filter change.    :twocents:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 01:50:14 PM »
I don't know the right answer to your question but I'd say don't have jiffy lube do it whatever route you go. I've had nothing but serious problems with those guys.

Offline Alchase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 02:24:03 PM »
If the transmission is slipping already, it won’t matter what you do to it. The damage is already done.

People used to say a flush is too aggressive on higher miles transmissions that have never been flushed. We only flush transmissions. I can only think of one problem we’ve had and it was my technicians fault. Customer got a new transmission out of it. I don’t know if any manufacturers actually say to flush transmissions. Specifically Ford says to “change” transmission fluid.

Jackalope, why do a flush, if no manufacturers say to flush transmissions?
Is there a reason they do not say to flush transmissions?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 04:17:28 PM »

Jackalope, why do a flush, if no manufacturers say to flush transmissions?
Is there a reason they do not say to flush transmissions?

Really I meant specifically the word “flush”. You can change the fluid by dropping the pan but you’re only going to get half of it if that, and it’s going to be way more expensive.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 04:34:24 PM »
Yea crazy they made autos for last half century with internal filter and no drain plug.   

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal