collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hydrogen peroxide  (Read 8741 times)

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
Hydrogen peroxide
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:56:20 AM »
It seems to be getting harder to find the 34+% peroxide gallons anymore for my diy euro mounts? Anyone have a place to get it still? I used to just order it on amazon...
Go hawks

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Hydrogen peroxide
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 10:08:58 AM »
Hair salon wholesale website or store?

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 10:40:08 AM »
I like the liquid so that the submerged skull gets cleaned inside and out, helps to get any small pieces missed inside while cleaning and prevents any odor down the road
Go hawks

Offline JBar

• The Family "Guide"
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
Shut up and Hunt!

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 07:22:59 PM »
Try the 27% stuff at the pool stores

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 08:26:22 PM »
I use the peroxide from Sally's beauty supply.  More than likely when you walk in they'll know what you're looking for.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:35:20 PM »
Bought some yesterday at Sally's the 40 gel and worked great on my project euro mount .

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 09:57:58 AM »
Ended up ordering some from amazon. h202, 34%, gal liquid. About 45 bucks, every time I do one of these it goes up!
Go hawks

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2019, 10:02:36 AM »
I like the paste more than the liquid.  I bought both on the last euro I did and it turned out pretty good.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2019, 10:05:08 AM »
I'm the opposite, I like the liquid because it cleans both the inside and out, esp the hard to reach places that you may have missed a piece of something
Go hawks

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2019, 08:12:37 PM »
I'm the opposite, I like the liquid because it cleans both the inside and out, esp the hard to reach places that you may have missed a piece of something

What type of container do you use when you whiten with the liquid peroxide?

Offline 87Ford

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 08:39:09 PM »
I just used the cheap liquid stuff you can buy anywhere..

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2019, 09:00:12 PM »

What type of container do you use when you whiten with the liquid peroxide?

Smallest plastic tub possible and displace the void areas to bring the liquid level up, wrap the peduncles with paper towels and zip tie in place to absorb and hold the peroxide.
Go hawks

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »
Looks good 87, I used to use the store bought stuff as well but noticed better results with the high test peroxide over the years so I have switched to that solely
Go hawks

Offline 270

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
What is your guy's DIY euro process?

Offline Thermal Predator Control

• Thermal Predator Control
  • Business Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Brad 509.308.6551
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/3332220800145116/?ref=share
    • Thermal Predator Control
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 11:01:39 PM »
Peroxide takes forever. I did this deer for a buddy in under 8 hours
I provide a service to cattle ranchers year around that have problem coyotes.  I also provide guided night hunts year around. I sell Night Vision and Thermal optics. The scopes I use are the NVision Halo XRF and Pulsar Merger XL50 LRF HD Binoculars

Offline andersonjk4

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 06:53:13 AM »
What is your guy's DIY euro process?

I have beetles now to clean the skulls, but before that I would macerate to clean the skulls. In my opinion these are the best ways to clean the skulls and maintain the integrity of the bone long term.

Next is degreasing. For deer I use a five gallon bucket and submerge the skull in a water/dawn dish soap solution (about a 1/4 cup per 5 gallons) and heat the water with a fish tank heater. Change the water every few days or weeks depending on when you remember. Keep repeating this until the water stays clear for several days which should mean the skull is sufficiently degreased. The grease coming out will form a layer on the top of the water or turn the water cloudy. You can also use a solution of water and ammonia instead of dish soap. During the degreasing process is a good time to scrape and pick off any little remaining bits that might have gotten missed when cleaning the skull.

After degreasing let the skull dry and then whiten using hydrogen peroxide. As discussed in this thread you can use several different methods. The two main processes are either submerging the skull in a liquid form of peroxide, or making a paste and coating the skull. Either way the stronger the peroxide solution the quicker the skull will whiten. I have typically used the gel type 40 Volume (13% peroxide) Salon developer and made a paste with that and the powdered lightener (Basic White). Paint this on the skull all over then wrap with basic plastic wrap and let it sit for a day or so. Rinse and repeat hitting any areas you may have missed. Letting the skull dry in the direct sunlight is best. The other method posted by the OP uses a liquid form of hydrogen peroxide and you simply submerge the skull for as long as it takes to get the desired level of whiteness.

Hopefully others will chime in with other methods and tips.

Offline Fletch

• Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 12:40:30 PM »
I use beetles now as well (occasionally the simmer/scrape method when beetles aren't usable) degrease, and use 27% liquid peroxide.  I put my skull in a plastic garbage bag and set it in the bottom of a container.  I add some peroxide to the inside of the bag and put water in container outside of bag. The water pushes up the peroxide so I use a lot less volume of peroxide.  Just have to be very careful of foam ups and bottom of horns. 

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2019, 12:56:30 AM »
I have always bought my stuff from Sally's beauty store. I have always just cleaned the skull with hot/ boiling water and then the same process with dish soap. Let dry thoroughly and then wrap the base of antler with tinfoil and then spray or rub the peroxide on the skull until you get the desired whiteness. I let the peroxide dry between each coat.

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2019, 07:57:16 AM »
I have always bought my stuff from Sally's beauty store. I have always just cleaned the skull with hot/ boiling water and then the same process with dish soap. Let dry thoroughly and then wrap the base of antler with tinfoil and then spray or rub the peroxide on the skull until you get the desired whiteness. I let the peroxide dry between each coat.
Yep, you get an even quicker response if you add heat.  (My mom was a hair dresser for 30 years, I know all the tricks).  Wrap it in a garbage bag after applying your solution and blow some hot air in with a heat gun or your wife's hair dryer without her knowing :)

Offline 270

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2019, 11:02:42 AM »
I usually just bury them and rinse with water once I pull them out of the ground. Then I just spray a little bleach on the skull and leave it out in the sun. Turns out ok,  but could be better.  I will try peroxide this time.  Thank you for the responses.

Offline washingtonmuley

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2019, 11:51:05 AM »
I usually just bury them and rinse with water once I pull them out of the ground. Then I just spray a little bleach on the skull and leave it out in the sun. Turns out ok,  but could be better.  I will try peroxide this time.  Thank you for the responses.
Definitely try peroxide as bleach will yellow the skull.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
Peroxide takes forever. I did this deer for a buddy in under 8 hours

And it looks like it. No offence but this is not a quality Euro mount. The skull is not degreased nor is it bleached. It will show Oil and yellow spots in the near future.

CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2019, 01:23:30 PM »
I use beetles now as well (occasionally the simmer/scrape method when beetles aren't usable) degrease, and use 27% liquid peroxide.  I put my skull in a plastic garbage bag and set it in the bottom of a container.  I add some peroxide to the inside of the bag and put water in container outside of bag. The water pushes up the peroxide so I use a lot less volume of peroxide.  Just have to be very careful of foam ups and bottom of horns.

You always were kind of an ingenious *censored*.
Cool idea

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2019, 01:34:00 PM »
This is how I do it and I have had great success.

Bugs are the best way to save all the small bones but I dont have them. I had a pretty cool hook-up in the past but it is no longer in effect. So what is a guy to do?

1)Clean the skull as well as you can before you boil it.

2) Boil the skull just long enough to get the meat soft.

3) Use a pressure washer (with hot water if possible) and blow off the meat, fat and whatever else.

4) Tape the horns and soak in a tote with ammonia, peroxide, water to cover and blue dawn dish detergent. Also, tip I learned last year, use a fish tank heater and aerator pump. Try to get to 90 degrees or so and soak until fat and grease no longer film up on top. This can take a while and with a few fluid changes. 

5) Wash the skull with soap and rinse in hot water. Paint a mixture of high percentage peroxide mixed with magnesium powder. Should look like mayonnaise. if you cant find that just use the salon products talked about in other posts.

6) Rinse off after it dries and you are all set. You now have a fully degreased and bleached white skull that should look great for years to come without oily grease leaking out of the bone.

This is just my method and it has worked well for me. There are about 365465465431348436542 different ways to do this but this is the best that i have found. Sure it takes a bit of time but the final product is awesome!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
Here’s a stupid question...

I’m doing my own euro for the first time right now, and working on the maceration phase. Once I get thru degreasing and onto the whitening....I have a bottle of 40 volume cream peroxide developer. Is that alone a whitening agent, or do I HAVE to mix something else in with it like a couple of you have mentioned? Thanks.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
Here’s a stupid question...

I’m doing my own euro for the first time right now, and working on the maceration phase. Once I get thru degreasing and onto the whitening....I have a bottle of 40 volume cream peroxide developer. Is that alone a whitening agent, or do I HAVE to mix something else in with it like a couple of you have mentioned? Thanks.

That should work. Mixing it just helps to firm it up and allow it to cover all areas. I am looking into doing something like this very soon. https://www.taxidermy.net/threads/136324/
CoryTDF

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »
Deer:
Skin, scrape, ( I cut the back of my skulls off so it hangs better and the brains pull without scrambling, simmer submerged 1.5 hrs with 1/2 cup of Dawn added, pressure wash with 2500 psi oscillating tip. Check for any cartilage to scrape, simmer 30 minutes , pressure wash again, let dry, hang on wall. Easy peasy.

I don’t care to protect all the small bones I blast out everything in the nasal cavity. I don’t care for a bleach white skull either, looks unnatural and hoakie to me. I don’t get any yellowing and this way looks better to me , all those bone plate lines are so cool looking when still defined by darker shades of “bone”
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2019, 04:37:12 PM »
can you reuse the liquid peroxide?
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2019, 01:06:38 PM »
can you reuse the liquid peroxide?

Maybe a few times but light has a negative effect on it and it does have a lifespan.
CoryTDF

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2019, 01:50:22 PM »
Unless you can turn the pressure way down I wouldnt use a pressure washer. Tried it on a skull last year and busted several of the smaller bones in the nose.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2019, 02:46:41 PM »
Deer:
Skin, scrape, ( I cut the back of my skulls off so it hangs better and the brains pull without scrambling, simmer submerged 1.5 hrs with 1/2 cup of Dawn added, pressure wash with 2500 psi oscillating tip. Check for any cartilage to scrape, simmer 30 minutes , pressure wash again, let dry, hang on wall. Easy peasy.

I don’t care to protect all the small bones I blast out everything in the nasal cavity. I don’t care for a bleach white skull either, looks unnatural and hoakie to me. I don’t get any yellowing and this way looks better to me , all those bone plate lines are so cool looking when still defined by darker shades of “bone”

Didn't have to worry about cutting the back of the skull out this year did you...?   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2019, 02:51:11 PM »
Unless you can turn the pressure way down I wouldnt use a pressure washer. Tried it on a skull last year and busted several of the smaller bones in the nose.

Just have to use the adjustable nozzle to make the stream less powerful. I have a hot water faucet outside my house that I hook the pressure washer up to and it works like a dream. It sure beats the crap out of using dental picks and other such tools. I have probably done around 50 euro mounts and I think the pressure washer is the best tool for the job when using the boiling method.
CoryTDF

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2019, 02:55:15 PM »

I pressure wash all mine. I just make sure to avoid areas like the nasal cavity. In my opinion there is no better way to remove all the small bits and pieces, especially under the back of skull near the ear canal where all those little crevices are. I'll post mine up soon, plan on whitening this weekend.

My bullet point process on this skull:

- Skin and cut out as much meat as possible, including eyes.
- Screw driver the brain to allow water infiltration a little better.
- Heat with small amount of oxyclean in water. Not boiling, low heat, just want the water steaming, maybe "moving" a little. Do this for a couple of hours.
- Remove, pressure wash loose meat and brains out. Take care to avoid the nasal cavity and antlers
- Place back in hot water with Dawn or Joy soap, and remove to scrape or pressure wash daily until all scraps of meat are gone. This will take another day, maybe 2 if you are lazy.
- Now all the meat is gone, place in hot water with lots of Dawn. Like others have said, 1/2 cup per gallon of water or so. Lots of it.
- Keep this water hot, 90-100 degrees. I use a stock tank heater. Change water out every couple days. Takes about 2 weeks and the skull is degreased.
- Mix basic white and 40 volume peroxide gel. Paint onto skull and wrap in saran wrap. Put under heat lamp if you have it, or direct sun if its warm. Otherwise 24 hours is enough.
- Remove saran wrap, let peroxide dry and then brush off. Rinse thoroughly with hose.
- Apply light coat of Mop n Glo to protect and preserve bone. Doesn't have to be heavy and glossy, won't hardly notice it's there but does preserve the integrity of the bone long term.

- For those that don't want the glistening white skull, you should still use some household peroxide for a couple hours. It will kill off any bacteria still living on/in the skull that will cause it to stink over time. It won't do much to change the appearance, but will keep it from smelling.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2019, 06:13:18 PM »
Pop the ear drums out, no reason for em to be there, less to clean around

Just pulled my 19 bt out of the 12% stuff I ordered, it will whiten a bit more as it continues to dry...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 06:25:15 PM by lewy »
Go hawks

Online Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2019, 06:50:12 PM »
I used an ice chest to hold elk skull in.  Could simmer at 190 degrees with tarp for insulation on top using $45 Amazon sous vide tool.   Didn’t seem to loosen meat much.  Just left it at outdoor temp for couple weeks then hit with pressure washer.   Cleaned up nice.  Rinsed in hot 190 degree bath of oxi-clean and dawn for 8 hours. Rinsed and dryed.  Looks great.   Will brush 40 hydrogen peroxide paste on shortly.

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2019, 07:38:45 PM »
Deer:

Didn't have to worry about cutting the back of the skull out this year did you...?   :chuckle:

:chuckle:

3lb trigger  :dunno:

Just tend your own and live.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter