collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chukar Hunting  (Read 1919 times)

Offline redandwhitebrit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
Chukar Hunting
« on: November 17, 2019, 01:10:25 PM »
I have been out three times this year to hunt chukars. I hunted the Wenatchee/Chelan area twice, total of 8 days. I had some minor success, as the birds this year have been reading the chukar manuals. My Brittany is a very good 4 year old and has been able to hold birds in the past, but I have not been able to get within gun range much this year. I wonder what other hunters are finding? I hunted in Oregon this past week near John Day, and only found one decent covey that held for my dog. Got two birds out of that covey rise, but other coveys are busting out with no chance of a shot. Anyone out there having different success?
Not many birds in the pouch, but having very good dog work, and great exercise just the same.

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
Re: Chukar Hunting
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:19:00 PM »
Very little wind and unpressured birds have produced lots of tight holding coveys for me this year. Wind and pressured birds have produced what you describe. Have most of your finds been in the flats?

Offline redandwhitebrit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 07:25:59 AM »
The birds I have encountered this year have all been on flats. The best numbers are on the Moses Coulee area, and have seen a few in the Colockum. The birds in Oregon were all on the flat, and in good cover. I do my best to go deep into an area where the mere mortals will not go. Been pretty frustrating to work hard and not have a lot of success, but that is the nature of the Chukar hunt.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 08:02:21 PM »
This is my first season with a dog that just turned one year old. The chukar coveys that we have gotten into have been good sized (i.e. 15 -30 birds). We have hunted mostly steep rocky terrain and the birds have held fine until the mutt busts into them. Unfortunately, this has been out of range more than in! We're both learning and she's getting better about calming/slowing down and pointing. Never saw another hunter, so suspect unpressured birds. No wind to speak of either.
Also, anecdotally when I was down in the central Oregon area around Halloween, I talked to a guy that had a private lease and he said they were not seeing very impressive numbers.
Not sure if this is helpful, but interested in keeping the conversation going so I can learn from others with more experience.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by trophyhunt
[Today at 06:05:35 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]