collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase  (Read 41955 times)

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: idaho non resident tag decrease, fee increase
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2020, 04:41:47 PM »
What really annoys me around here though is one guy saying "you're wrong! I've been hunting here for 20 years and this is how it is!". Well that has been that person's LITTLE view of their own world. That DOES NOT discredit another guy who has seen and experienced different in his own 20 years in that same area. We are all guilty of it, me included, but we gotta be better at gleaning info from others experiences and not being so foolish as to think we know it all  :twocents:

Well said and on the money, man Pepsicola hires some smart, savvy people ;) :tup:

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #151 on: February 14, 2020, 04:49:37 PM »
And I still think you should choose your species.. 

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #152 on: February 14, 2020, 05:02:08 PM »
I dont think that last one was directed at me, but my previous post was just my anecdote and observation from the area we hunt. (8, 8A, and 10A)

I do agree we only have our own experiences to reflect and form our opinion on. Anyone claiming to know the answer with certainty is full of it!
It was 100% NOT directed at you. It was just a general observation of human nature. I'm as guilty as anyone but I really try hard to listen, read between the lines, and be a student of them game.

What really annoys me around here though is one guy saying "you're wrong! I've been hunting here for 20 years and this is how it is!". Well that has been that person's LITTLE view of their own world. That DOES NOT discredit another guy who has seen and experienced different in his own 20 years in that same area. We are all guilty of it, me included, but we gotta be better at gleaning info from others experiences and not being so foolish as to think we know it all  :twocents:

Well said and on the money, man Pepsicola hires some smart, savvy people ;) :tup:
it's that pepsi blue blood we have flowing through our veins :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #153 on: February 14, 2020, 05:06:09 PM »
And I still think you should choose your species..
I agree. Gone are the days of having your cake and eating it too. If you wanna chase muleys give it hell while you can and if unsuccessful then that's life. And if you want to chase those chocolate antlered timber ghosts then hang onto your bullets till nov.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #154 on: February 14, 2020, 06:03:35 PM »
The idea that the October 10 opener just anything to do with it is a farce.  I've hunted the panhandle for well over 20 years, every year.  You can directly link the deer decline to the Wolves. 
Have a listen to the latest Stuck N The Rut podcast.  I grew up with those guys, and no-one spent more time in the Panhandle woods in the last 25 years.  Anyone who's been hunting it hard the last 25 years will tell you where to lay the blame. 
If you are so tore up, go wolf hunting.  The season is open   :twocents:

The funny thing is I agree with you. Wolves are the number 1 factor hurting game in north Idaho. I feel like wolves prefer elk and would place majority of declines in elk on wolves. I know they have hurt the deer too but I don’t think it’s a severe as the elk. I know for a fact the earlier opening correlation with less mature whitetail bucks has happened and things would be way better if they moved it back. Stuck in rut guys are great but I have hunted panhandle about 30 years. They don’t have a corner on spending lots of time in the woods. I do my part and hunt predators every season
I just got home from checking my wolf traps today before I posted that. I have killed wolves and will continue too as long as I can. I trapped coyotes this year as well.I had my hounds today and kill lions every year although I don’t think they are the problem wolves are. We kill bears every year as well. I am doing my part and agree with what you are saying about wolves. that doesn’t mean other factors besides wolves haven’t had a negative impact as well. I know for a fact meaning I have seen it with my own eyes play out. They need to move the date to November 1 and get rid of second tag. 3-4 years we will have a lot more mature bucks regardless of wolves

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #155 on: February 14, 2020, 06:57:45 PM »
I removed a few insulting remarks, it's fine to discuss different views but please keep it civil. thanks!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #156 on: February 14, 2020, 07:21:09 PM »
The idea that the October 10 opener just anything to do with it is a farce.  I've hunted the panhandle for well over 20 years, every year.  You can directly link the deer decline to the Wolves. 
Have a listen to the latest Stuck N The Rut podcast.  I grew up with those guys, and no-one spent more time in the Panhandle woods in the last 25 years.  Anyone who's been hunting it hard the last 25 years will tell you where to lay the blame. 

Have you been wolf hunting this year?

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2020, 07:54:49 PM »
They need to move the date to November 1 and get rid of second tag. 3-4 years we will have a lot more mature bucks regardless of wolves

You do realize that the second tags are only available because the allotment Idaho sets aside for Non Res tags hasn't been purchased. It's a way for Idaho to reach their funding goals.  Get rid of those 2nd tags and they have to make the money up somewhere.  And when they bump up the price, there will be even more that don't get sold by Aug 1.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars that they will have to replace somewhere else. 

A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #158 on: February 14, 2020, 08:55:46 PM »
They need to move the date to November 1 and get rid of second tag. 3-4 years we will have a lot more mature bucks regardless of wolves

You do realize that the second tags are only available because the allotment Idaho sets aside for Non Res tags hasn't been purchased. It's a way for Idaho to reach their funding goals.  Get rid of those 2nd tags and they have to make the money up somewhere.  And when they bump up the price, there will be even more that don't get sold by Aug 1.  We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars that they will have to replace somewhere else.

I know exactly how it works and usually buy the second deer tag As a resident at the non resident price. Second elk tag I have probably purchased only 4-5 times. I love it but it probably needs to go. When it first came out I didn’t buy my second tag until I already shot my buck in late November. For years I didn’t buy any 2nd tags till I filled my first tag. Last year they sold out right away. I think this will continue although my experience is the whitetail hunting has gone down hill a lot. I see the problem in how a lot of people hunt different when they have 2 tags. First change I would like to see is moving opening of deer season back to nov 1 then we can worry about 2nd tags. 2 months of rifle is too long of a season. Really with early and late archery deer season in the panhandle is 4 months long. That’s a lot but it’s the rifle season that’s too long

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2020, 08:57:28 PM »

And that’s fine Rick. You ever kill a mature whitetail in Idaho?

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »

Yep.  Going again tomorrow. 

Offline buglebrush

• Sourdough
« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2020, 09:22:57 PM »

The funny thing is I agree with you. Wolves are the number 1 factor hurting game in north Idaho. I feel like wolves prefer elk and would place majority of declines in elk on wolves. I know they have hurt the deer too but I don’t think it’s a severe as the elk. I know for a fact the earlier opening correlation with less mature whitetail bucks has happened and things would be way better if they moved it back. Stuck in rut guys are great but I have hunted panhandle about 30 years. They don’t have a corner on spending lots of time in the woods. I do my part and hunt predators every season
I just got home from checking my wolf traps today before I posted that. I have killed wolves and will continue too as long as I can. I trapped coyotes this year as well.I had my hounds today and kill lions every year although I don’t think they are the problem wolves are. We kill bears every year as well. I am doing my part and agree with what you are saying about wolves. that doesn’t mean other factors besides wolves haven’t had a negative impact as well. I know for a fact meaning I have seen it with my own eyes play out. They need to move the date to November 1 and get rid of second tag. 3-4 years we will have a lot more mature bucks regardless of wolves

I am sorry if I took your post wrong.  Thanks for doing your part by hunting predators. 

What I would like to see is season dates left as is, and a 4-point restriction for everyone except youth and seniors.  Have a couple weeks in November where it's any deer.   :twocents:

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »

Yep.  Going again tomorrow.

:tup: awesome I thought you would be just making sure you take your own advice. :chuckle: Keep after them

Offline Cheif

• Tracker
« Reply #163 on: February 14, 2020, 10:12:56 PM »
Keep hammering guys!! Thank you for your service!!!

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #164 on: February 17, 2020, 08:38:38 AM »
Wow...remember the topic was Idaho raising NR fees and decreasing/limiting NR opportunities...so a lot of the bantering is for nothing as IDFG changes are coming for NR's!

but I must admit, I learned a lot about whitetail hunting Idaho! Which is something I will be doing for the first time this year with my son, which I was able to buy his discounted youth NR license and tag! (plus we got wolf tags...I always have a wolf tag in my pocket!). so I am planning on going on two Idaho hunts (not sure if I'll buy a second tag or not) the first is my usual Frank Church mule deer/wolf hunt (thinking I'll forego the elk tag this year...) and then return during Thanksgiving break with my son in Unit 1 since he is out of school for a long weekend. (Yes, I already checked, if I punch my general season deer tag on my mule deer hunt he is still legal to hunt with his youth discounted tag...regs include an adult/full price punched tag as an accompanying tag so I don't need an unpunched tag in my pocket while he hunts...before the internet police chime in...)

Anyway, thanks for the info guys! Oh, and those that are bantering about not enough "mature" bucks...your priorities are all wrong. Sure, it's nice and challenging to hunt mature animals but that attitude is in line with "I only shoot B&C bucks/bulls"....ANY animal we kill is a "trophy" and it's life should be valued at such. Thank goodness the Social Media crowd/Pepsi generation or whatever it's called has shows/mentors like MeatEater and a new wave of conservationist that look at hunting as an organic, holistic, food source and not inches or age of animals. If I had a 4.5 year old 150" buck or a 2.5 year old 90" buck standing side by side I'd shoot the one that I would rather eat and let the older one breed...but then again, I am sure there is some study saying I am wrong...

Grade

PS. Back to topic please...any idea or word on how IDFG is going to restructure the deer tags????
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]