collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2020 bears  (Read 72864 times)

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
Re: 2020 bears
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2020, 08:59:00 PM »
I have a tag from my combo license but I don't like sausage so I'm not sure what I would do with the meat. It's holding me back.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2020, 09:09:03 PM »
I have a tag from my combo license but I don't like sausage so I'm not sure what I would do with the meat. It's holding me back.

Burger is a winner in my family.  You can't go wrong with bear burger.  Makes great tacos, meat loafs, hamburgers, hot dishes.....you name it.  When in doubt....BURGER OUT!!

Offline elkoholic1

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: elkoholic1
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »

My family doesn't care for bear meat as well so we make it all into pepperoni and salami we have TNT meats out on camo island make it for us, I butcher the animal and just take him the clean meat...  can not go wrong it has a very good shelf life in the freezer and it absolutely delicious.....  :twocents:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #168 on: August 10, 2020, 11:48:29 PM »
One of my favorite ways to eat bear is bear roast. Cook it for about 4 to 6 hours in beef broth with lots of season salt on top, add taters, onions, and carrots the last 30-60 minutes of cooking, very tender and tasty!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2020, 05:20:00 AM »
That sounds so delicious!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2020, 12:04:13 PM »
One of my favorite ways to eat bear is bear roast. Cook it for about 4 to 6 hours in beef broth with lots of season salt on top, add taters, onions, and carrots the last 30-60 minutes of cooking, very tender and tasty!
Moist heat all the way for whole muscle cuts of bear!  My son's favorite game to eat and way to eat it.  Even ground meat (chili, meat sauce, tacos) benefits from a few hours simmering in my opinion.  Our favorite is pretty similar but bear stew, brown chunks of flour coated meat in oil, then into a crock pot for several hours with stock and red wine, then add cubed taters, onions and carrots, when the carrots are tender it's done.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2020, 07:58:12 PM »
My absolute favorite meat ever. Mt. View meats smoked bear hams. Eat it cold or cooked. Absolutely amazing. I've had many people try to tell me they have eaten bear and try to tell me it was bad. Then they try my stuff. They are always begging for more. But sorry I can't give all of it away. Its my favorite.  :chuckle:
I do like burger, roasts, smoked pepperoni, summer sausage, marinated steaks,and kielbasa. Proper game care on bears and your in for a good meal.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2020, 08:11:34 PM »
Sounds like I need to stoke the Instant Pot and hit the woods. Only 87+ miles behind on my scouting.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2020, 09:16:14 PM »
 After having success opening weekend I’ve had lots of unsuccessful Calling stands and glassing sessions over my last 5 trips out.  There’s been lots of pressure and it seems to be keeping them in bed more during the day.  Not just bear hunters either lots of people out camping riding hiking. Every time I go out in the middle of the week thinking I’m going to have a place to myself I am still running into people in places I usually never see them.  But the berries are starting to ripen up nicely where I’m hunting so hopefully that gets the bears  greedy and wanting to be out of a little bit longer

Offline idaho guy

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2020, 09:18:28 AM »
My absolute favorite meat ever. Mt. View meats smoked bear hams. Eat it cold or cooked. Absolutely amazing. I've had many people try to tell me they have eaten bear and try to tell me it was bad. Then they try my stuff. They are always begging for more. But sorry I can't give all of it away. Its my favorite.  :chuckle:
I do like burger, roasts, smoked pepperoni, summer sausage, marinated steaks,and kielbasa. Proper game care on bears and your in for a good meal.

X2 on smoked bear ham although we have been doing all German sausages last few years the smoked ham is one of the best. Do you use mt view meats in north Idaho or is there a different Mt view in Washington?

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2020, 09:54:16 AM »

X2 on smoked bear ham although we have been doing all German sausages last few years the smoked ham is one of the best. Do you use mt view meats in north Idaho or is there a different Mt view in Washington?
Mt. View meats in western washington
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline huntingaddiction

• Sasquatch
  • Scout
  • Eat, Sleep, Hunt!
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2020, 12:38:41 PM »
So many small bears this year.  I think we have passed on 4 or 5 now.  I just want a 200 pounder to step out. 
A bad day out hunting is better than a good day at work!

Offline callturner

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
    • n/a
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2020, 12:54:54 PM »

I use the one on Idaho, there awesome!

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2020, 02:11:26 PM »
So many small bears this year.  I think we have passed on 4 or 5 now.  I just want a 200 pounder to step out.

2 150lbers equal 300lbs. Thats bigger than the 200lb tag soup.  :chuckle:

Offline HillHound

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2020, 03:25:41 PM »
 That’s why you get two tags. Shoot one of those Small ones to break the ice. I always just shoot the first Bear without cubs and then plan on trying to get a bigger one. This year it happened to be the big one I shot first but I still think I’m probably dumping a small one with my second tag  if one gives me an opportunity in an easy place to get it out. The deer and elk will thank you

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]