collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Library has Discover passes for check out. Whitman County.  (Read 7096 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Library has Discover passes for check out. Whitman County.
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 08:10:49 AM »
If a library can share one Discover pass with an unlimited number of people, I should be able to buy only one pass for my three vehicles, instead of buying two. Actually I think I currently have three. And, I should be able to share it with friends, neighbors, family, and anyone else who asks. The reason for the Discover pass is to raise money for state lands. A library sharing a pass defeats the whole purpose of the pass.

Here is my best guess why they are doing this.

This pass from the library offsets the argument that the burden disproportionately falls on the hands of the poor. This isnt the first time a fee has been levied to visit a park. and day use plummets. Additionally they never raised the funds. Now that they have a funding source, stealing from hunters, they are likely looking at ways to increase their attendance numbers.  :twocents:
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline lastmk8

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 09:33:30 AM »
OK, I've started to attempt to figure this one out.  So far I haven't got very far.  After a 20 minute wait on hold I finally go through to DFW (the phone number from the Discover Web Site) and talked to the nice lady, Shanequa I believe was the name, oh, wonder if relation to ours at the Tag Draw Office???..  Anyway, she heard of the program but had no information claiming it was a Parks Department deal.  I made the same point that if they can check it out all year why do I need more than one for three vehicles, why can't I "loan" my pass out to others?.. etc... 

Next move is the P{arks Department, but I'll be in meetings the rest of the day.  If anyone wants to take the next step their phone number is:  360-902-8500.

I'm sure this is another Liberal "free-be" Program funded by us..!!!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 10:18:32 AM »
The pass shouldn't be needed for dnr lands period imo
:yeah: won’t buy one, I thought they were getting rid of that pass???
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline throwingsticks

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2020, 08:35:38 AM »
If a library can share one Discover pass with an unlimited number of people, I should be able to buy only one pass for my three vehicles, instead of buying two. Actually I think I currently have three. And, I should be able to share it with friends, neighbors, family, and anyone else who asks. The reason for the Discover pass is to raise money for state lands. A library sharing a pass defeats the whole purpose of the pass.

Ahhh libraries and private individuals are different things.... The mandate of libraries is provide access to resources and knowledge to all people. By having a discovery pass or two for check out, this gives access to the out of doors to people that might normally not go due to the cost. If we want to see our great tradition of fishing and hunting continue we need to actively recruit and retain new hunters including those that don't fit the normal hunting stereotype. Programs like this get folks out of doors, in many cases these folks don't look like they walked out of a Cabela's catalog...

So what is the issue again?

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 02:13:44 PM »

Ahhh libraries and private individuals are different things.... The mandate of libraries is provide access to resources and knowledge to all people. By having a discovery pass or two for check out, this gives access to the out of doors to people that might normally not go due to the cost. If we want to see our great tradition of fishing and hunting continue we need to actively recruit and retain new hunters including those that don't fit the normal hunting stereotype. Programs like this get folks out of doors, in many cases these folks don't look like they walked out of a Cabela's catalog...

I think the issue is that folks are angry because to use non improved areas such as DNR land we need them to hunt and fish... but those dollars go to the parks department... and it is more likely that those library passes will be used for parks... which rubs salt in the wound.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 03:31:32 PM »
My god, it's a program to get people out into the woods that might not normally go. If they get the bug, and decide they want to spend more time in the outdoors, they'll start buying their own passes. If you're mad or don't think it's fair, don't buy a pass, and check one out from the library.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 12:20:30 PM »

I think the issue is that folks are angry because to use non improved areas such as DNR land we need them to hunt and fish... but those dollars go to the parks department... and it is more likely that those library passes will be used for parks... which rubs salt in the wound.

SOOO basically people are pissed about the DNR thing and are taking the frustration out on poor people who have limited access to the out of doors.... sounds logical to me...

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 03:18:29 PM »

SOOO basically people are pissed about the DNR thing and are taking the frustration out on poor people who have limited access to the out of doors.... sounds logical to me...
People get mad and take out thier frustration in all manner of ways, not necessarily well thought out... Plenty of examples of this in the Seattle

Confucius

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 05:03:40 PM »
My god, it's a program to get people out into the woods that might not normally go. If they get the bug, and decide they want to spend more time in the outdoors, they'll start buying their own passes. If you're mad or don't think it's fair, don't buy a pass, and check one out from the library.

Exactly same people always complain . We should all be rooting  for a family to try it and fall in  love with the outdoors. Some of you guys need to take a look in the mirror and realize some folks don't know about the outdoors. 

Offline Don_D

• Past Sponsor
  • Hunter
    • NA
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 05:46:37 PM »

Now wait just a second. Who said anything about bringing reason into this.  :jacked: :peep:

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »

Due to the cost?  So they can afford a vehicle, fuel, vehicle maintenance and tabs, but cant afford a discover pass?  Thats ridiculous.  Its all about priorities.  Am i pro discover pass?  No.  Not at all.  But if a disco pass can be used for unlimited vehicles by a library, then i should be able to use mine on whatever rig i want.

Offline wags

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Longhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2020, 10:22:26 PM »
Just say NO to paying for access; whether State, Federal, private land, and it will all go away.
Everybody just needs to STOP.

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2020, 09:42:05 PM »

People get mad and take out thier frustration in all manner of ways, not necessarily well thought out... Plenty of examples of this in the Seattle

way to not answer the question

Offline throwingsticks

• Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2020, 09:42:39 PM »

Now wait just a second. Who said anything about bringing reason into this.  :jacked: :peep:
:yeah:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2020, 11:23:05 PM »

way to not answer the question

I hate to break it to you, but when people are pissed off they lash out.

Once upon a time Washington was based on a User Pays System. PARKS  came out of the general fund because EVERYONE had the ability to utilize them.  My mother grew up going to state parks every weekend as a family for pick Nick's because they were piss broke.

I can relate to others frustration  because The legislature has not prioritized general funds to Parks. Instead they have chosen to Screw sportsmen to pay for the general publics good.

You can make the case that parks need funding, and while I might have some suggestions  I wont argue against you. I'll be damned if ignorance of how the systems in place to fund "Services" are co opted so Peter can rob Paul.

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Pairs by Dan-o
[Today at 08:15:34 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab