collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021  (Read 69392 times)

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
Re: Idaho non resident tag quotas for 2021
« Reply #285 on: December 02, 2020, 03:51:52 PM »
Great post 7mm and I agree about splitting camps. Hunting heritage should always be a consideration
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #286 on: December 02, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »
Well, they could still have first come first serve tags but allow a person to purchase multiple tags at the same time for a group of people. So just like with a draw system, either everyone in the group gets a tag, or nobody in the group gets a tag.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #287 on: December 02, 2020, 07:51:01 PM »
There's been a lot ground covered since Karl posted the question about what we were really mad about, but here's my position.

I'm not mad about the money. It sucks spending more money, but as it's been stated many times over, Idaho is now closer to in line with other western states. They are closer to me than other western states, so I'll save money on fuel, and time on the road.

I'm not even mad about the quotas. I see more non resident plates where we hunt than resident plates. I'm confident it will help distribute the pressure and the hunting quality over time should reflect that.

What pisses me off is that it was a mad dash, into a new system that everyone supposedly had equal ability to get tags, but it didn't work that way. Guys that logged on literally seconds before me were thousands of places up the line and got tags. It was just a literal crap shoot.

Also, we have a group of guys that hunt together. We WANT to hunt TOGETHER. Well, one of those guys got his elk tag, but not a deer tag. One guy got his elk tag, but got a deer tag in a different unit. Two of us didn't get any tags. Another friend in a group of 3 got his deer tag but his partners did not. So suddenly our group of 4 is split in half with guys being forced to go different directions, or not at all and another group is no longer a group and one guy is having to plan this trip solo now. There is also no guarantee that it won't be that way next year, so how are we supposed to continue planning trips to this state as a group, when we can't guarantee that we can get tags as a group? At least in other western states, you apply to the draw as a group and you either get the tags or you don't and you move on.

That is the part that infuriates me the more I think about it.

Very well said.... The whole thing is what it is.... until it breaks up camps and families.  As Bobcat posted, this is one of the huge problems with the timber land passes.

I hate to say it, but I would rather see draws than what we just saw happen.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #288 on: December 02, 2020, 07:56:17 PM »
 :yeah:
Go hawks

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #289 on: December 03, 2020, 08:27:53 AM »
Fair post corey. Like you said though,  the DAV program was discovered and got to an over use point. At the end of the day IDFG is charged with managing that states wildlife and sometimes that has to come at a cost if there is over use.  Ive never come away from an interaction with anyone at IDFG that wasn't positive.  Id encourage you to write them and offer constructive solutions to some of the issues (like doing the DAV sales on a different day). At the end of the day its easy to sit back and judge other humans for being human. The DAV thing was for sure just an oversight.  Im betting there aren't too many folks in IDFG that didn't want to see veterans get tags  :twocents:

I get it and I don't think any of if was malicious. I just don't think it was very well planned out. The tags are selling in record time so I don't see any changes coming for next year. This is of course in regards to the cost and amount of tags. I do hope that there are enough complaints about the process though and that a positive change is made to that. 
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #290 on: December 03, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »
Very strange.  I posted on December 1st that I had logged in at 12:49pm just as a check for future reference for myself how many tags would be left after the initial mad dash, and on my screen none of the deer options were available for me to purchase but there were non-res elk tags available and I posted that it appeared that deer tags had sold out.   After seeing following posts from guys stating there were lots of tags leftover I logged back in today to see.....sure enough Idaho is now showing both "deer regular" and "adult white tailed deer" tags available.

Clearly Idaho F&G website was experiencing some glitches on December 1st.     I wonder what the extend of the glitches was.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #291 on: December 03, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
Very strange.  I posted on December 1st that I had logged in at 12:49pm just as a check for future reference for myself how many tags would be left after the initial mad dash, and on my screen none of the deer options were available for me to purchase but there were non-res elk tags available and I posted that it appeared that deer tags had sold out.   After seeing following posts from guys stating there were lots of tags leftover I logged back in today to see.....sure enough Idaho is now showing both "deer regular" and "adult white tailed deer" tags available.

Clearly Idaho F&G website was experiencing some glitches on December 1st.     I wonder what the extend of the glitches was.

Yeah I was sitting there looking at the deer tags trying to make a decision when you posted that. Bummer that so many people had technical problems while there were still likely tags available for the hunts they wanted

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #292 on: December 03, 2020, 08:55:27 AM »
Something I eventually noticed after being on the sight numerous times was that the number of available tags IS NOT updated in real time...something to keep in mind.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Snakeriver10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #293 on: December 03, 2020, 09:33:52 AM »
More than anything this has caused, I believe poaching will go sky high in Idaho!  Idaho is already a poacher friendly state, now by limiting tags, it will cause even more to become trigger happy without a tag.  Just because you limit the amount of tags doesn’t mean you won’t limit the amount of animals killed. 

Offline avidnwoutdoorsman

• Forum Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF, PF, TU, DU, BCWF, NRA, BCH&A
« Reply #294 on: December 03, 2020, 09:34:40 AM »
Well, they could still have first come first serve tags but allow a person to purchase multiple tags at the same time for a group of people. So just like with a draw system, either everyone in the group gets a tag, or nobody in the group gets a tag.

I feel like this is very doable.... you can always put a time limit on the additional tags like when you apply as a group.... where the group leader reserves so many tags for the group and then the individuals can buy said reserved tags within 24hrs by entering in the group leaders hunter ID else they go back to the pool.

It's the first year ,there are going to be kinks, and when it comes to hunting and tags there is no real good beta process like when you develop software and games. Though I guess they could have done a beta to an extent by inviting people (previous non-resident) to do a fake purchase in the system weeks before the release.... though is that the best use of money and resources? Would it have flushed out all the problems? From a wildlife management stand point which is the ultimate goal of IDFG, missing the group function wont hurt deer and elk populations. So this could have very well been the beta and next year they will have the bugs worked out.
Keep Calm Gobble On

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #295 on: December 03, 2020, 09:36:44 AM »
More than anything this has caused, I believe poaching will go sky high in Idaho!  Idaho is already a poacher friendly state, now by limiting tags, it will cause even more to become trigger happy without a tag.  Just because you limit the amount of tags doesn’t mean you won’t limit the amount of animals killed.

I have a hard time believing a non-resident is going to drive all the way to Idaho to poach an animal.....I'd say out of state poaching is much more rare than in-state.   

Offline Snakeriver10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #296 on: December 03, 2020, 09:47:56 AM »
What about the non resident that was only Able you purchase a deer tag and comes across a bull?  All different scenarios!

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #297 on: December 03, 2020, 09:50:11 AM »
Idaho is already a poacher friendly state
Huh?  How is it poacher friendly?
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #298 on: December 03, 2020, 09:54:32 AM »
Idaho is already a poacher friendly state
Huh?  How is it poacher friendly?

:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

I can see no logical response to this???????????
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #299 on: December 03, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »
What about the non resident that was only Able you purchase a deer tag and comes across a bull?  All different scenarios!

9.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 times out of 10 that guy just looks at the bull and keeps on hunting for deer.
CoryTDF

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan