collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Potential New F&G Commissioners  (Read 2269 times)

Offline pickardjw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Potential New F&G Commissioners
« on: January 21, 2022, 02:32:55 PM »
In the special meeting today for the 2022 Spring Bear petitions, some of the Commission Members alluded to two potential new members being voted on for appointment soon. Does anyone have any knowledge on who the new members could be?

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
Re: Potential New F&G Commissioners
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 03:20:48 PM »
Brian Blake Is a name that keeps coming up
Go hawks

Offline bullfever

• Forum Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »
I don't know of any names but here's a document from our dear friends urging Inslee to appoint anti-hunting commissioners. It's been circulated on here previously.

EDIT: This letter was submitted in September, before Koontz resigned. So I imagine Inslee could appoint three new commissioners because Carpenter's term expired.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 04:17:59 PM »
If sportsmen want good comissioners we need to develop a bull pen of potentials.

As far as I can tell here are some good attributes we should look for.
Some one that understands the bureaucracy  in a professional capacity. Manager from a big Corp like Boeing, government, or a lawyer.
Obviously a sportsmen that hunts. The commission is too heavily slanted twords fishing but that is an important issue.
Folks from the East side. Most of the population is in 2 counties Spokane and Benton. We need folks outside of that area.
 Some one not political or a Democrat. This is likely the harder one because most sportsmen especially East side tend to lean right.

This one will really stir discussion... Some one with a tribal connection. They are consumptive users like us. Many of our issues involve the tribes. A good choice would keep folks like Baker, and Smith in check.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2022, 04:53:41 PM »
Yes, current, not a past pull crony, walks the walk and speaks the language.   :yeah:

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:53 PM »
If sportsmen want good comissioners we need to develop a bull pen of potentials.

As far as I can tell here are some good attributes we should look for.
Some one that understands the bureaucracy  in a professional capacity. Manager from a big Corp like Boeing, government, or a lawyer.
Obviously a sportsmen that hunts. The commission is too heavily slanted twords fishing but that is an important issue.
Folks from the East side. Most of the population is in 2 counties Spokane and Benton. We need folks outside of that area.
 Some one not political or a Democrat. This is likely the harder one because most sportsmen especially East side tend to lean right.

This one will really stir discussion... Some one with a tribal connection. They are consumptive users like us. Many of our issues involve the tribes. A good choice would keep folks like Baker, and Smith in check.

all very good points, especially the part on one that has a good relationship with tribes. That carries A LOT of weight in getting the names over the humo since the tribes are co-managers per treaties. They've got say and many do an excellent work in habitat and species work- think about the colville and yakama antelopes and the last days of the caribou in WA.

Your point about population density is important. Thorburn is great, but having her wipes out all of spokane county per commission rules from getting another Commissioner. Then add the layers of qualified and interested to candadates and the list dwindles quickly.

Most groups engaged in this fight are doing their best to share list and communicate to build recommendations but it takes time. I also have to point out that for all the infighting among hunters, fishing groups (tribal/rec/commercial/conservation orgs) are the most contentious people on the planet. I'm yet to see them agree on a candidate. And hunters have been happy to tank a good hunter if they don't like their fishing stance. All that makes collaborating to get a candidate with broad sportsmen support in front of Inslee challenging. Meanwhile the anti's have no such issues and get their names and lists to the governors office quickly. They also outnumber our paid staff 10-1. For them it's not just a hobby, it's a job.

If we overlook the good in pursuit of the perfect candidate, we'll just keep losing. We need to find someone who understands the mandate and mission, understands the bureacracy and their role in it all and executes it. Thats how you get more like Thorburn- They don't even have to be hunters if they can just be objective in their job we'll be ok
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »

See my previous comment about what fishing stance can do to a candidate from the pro-hunting group. We filleted him before he even got to the governors desk I think. I don't even know if he's still in the running, but if he is he got beat up pretty good from his own base. If he is in the running, he better love hunting more than he likes hunters because he got dragged pretty good
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline dreamingbig

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2022, 11:01:09 PM »
I will volunteer.  I am born and raised in WA.  College educated.  Never held a political position.  Have worked on professional organizations for 20 years. Hunter and fished since I can remember.  And well versed on all hunting and fishing issues and would give 100% to do right by those who value hunting and fishing as much as I do.

I know, I know… not a chance but I would sign up in a second.  I can start tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@mukbowhunt
Avid Bowhunter
Maxxis 35 / Trykon XL

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2022, 11:03:18 PM »
Don't rule out Rylan, as far as I know he's still on the list and xould use all the voice he can get.

Offline Jake Dogfish

• Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 11:42:19 PM »
Rylan sounds good heard him on fishhuntnw.  :tup:
Environmentalist Fundamentalist

Offline buckfvr

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2022, 10:26:21 AM »

Quote dwils223
If we overlook the good in pursuit of the perfect candidate, we'll just keep losing. We need to find someone who understands the mandate and mission, understands the bureaucracy and their role in it all and executes it. Thats how you get more like Thorburn- They don't even have to be hunters if they can just be objective in their job we'll be ok
[/quote]

I think it certainly requires a professional, well educated in at least a related field and preferably either a legal professional or politically experienced person as is two of the persons we have available. 

As in the past, there seems to have always been a seat or two filled by persons that can be considered insignificant based on irrelevant education and other factors that cause the new breed to not accept them as colleagues.  That alone puts you on the outside looking inside, even as you hold one of the seats.  If the folks that hold us under attack right now dont think they can get another of their own on board as a commissioner, they will go straight for the most insignificant potential appointee they can identify.

We have a legislator (past), and a lawyer available for these positions.  It appears they are the most qualified and would appear to be capable of engaging the problems within the commission and grinding them to a standstill if not completely defeating them. 

We need current and continued education and related job experience to gain us some ground.  Without that we will continue our slide out of the picture.   :twocents:

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:10 AM »

See my previous comment about what fishing stance can do to a candidate from the pro-hunting group. We filleted him before he even got to the governors desk I think. I don't even know if he's still in the running, but if he is he got beat up pretty good from his own base. If he is in the running, he better love hunting more than he likes hunters because he got dragged pretty good
That's too bad. Now we'll be stuck with an anti hunter that probably still won't help out sport fisherman. Hope the guys that railed against him are happy.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2022, 10:43:55 AM »

Quote dwils223
If we overlook the good in pursuit of the perfect candidate, we'll just keep losing. We need to find someone who understands the mandate and mission, understands the bureaucracy and their role in it all and executes it. Thats how you get more like Thorburn- They don't even have to be hunters if they can just be objective in their job we'll be ok

I think it certainly requires a professional, well educated in at least a related field and preferably either a legal professional or politically experienced person as is two of the persons we have available. 

As in the past, there seems to have always been a seat or two filled by persons that can be considered insignificant based on irrelevant education and other factors that cause the new breed to not accept them as colleagues.  That alone puts you on the outside looking inside, even as you hold one of the seats.  If the folks that hold us under attack right now dont think they can get another of their own on board as a commissioner, they will go straight for the most insignificant potential appointee they can identify.

We have a legislator (past), and a lawyer available for these positions.  It appears they are the most qualified and would appear to be capable of engaging the problems within the commission and grinding them to a standstill if not completely defeating them. 

We need current and continued education and related job experience to gain us some ground.  Without that we will continue our slide out of the picture.   :twocents:
[/quote]

Well said

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]