collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canvas Wall Tent Cleaning Question  (Read 3403 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Re: Canvas Wall Tent Cleaning Question
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 02:31:41 PM »
has anyone ever tried cleaning them without setting them up?  Like lay it out flat on a concrete slab and spray and brush off? So you have something solid behind it while you brush it.  Mine is pretty dirty and has some mildew that gets a little worse every year.  The mildew had started with the previous owner.  Ive also thought about taking it to the lake and submerging it rolling it around under water.  Not sure if that's a good idea or not.  I think I need something little more aggressive than I can do with the tent set up? Any thoughts?

It’s a problem, I have read about folks putting them in one of those plastic kiddy pools and soaking them. But dang it will be about three or four times the weight. And how do ya handle that?

I guess I would put just the roof poles together if I had a concrete slab big enough ,soak it in the pool scrub and than drag it out on to the frame, after it dried some I would put the legs in place an clean it some more. :dunno:

Never done it that way. The big thing is getting it dry, hard to do if it’s not on the frame in a warm area. The mildew has to be treated with something to kill it.

Whole lot easier not to let it get that bad in the first place.

I never unroll my tents on bare ground , I put the ground tarp along side the frame, unroll on that and pull the canvas up over the frame left to right. Take it down the same way in reverse.

Let us know what works.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline snake

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 03:54:13 PM »
has anyone ever tried cleaning them without setting them up?  Like lay it out flat on a concrete slab and spray and brush off? So you have something solid behind it while you brush it.  Mine is pretty dirty and has some mildew that gets a little worse every year.  The mildew had started with the previous owner.  Ive also thought about taking it to the lake and submerging it rolling it around under water.  Not sure if that's a good idea or not.  I think I need something little more aggressive than I can do with the tent set up? Any thoughts?

It’s a problem, I have read about folks putting them in one of those plastic kiddy pools and soaking them. But dang it will be about three or four times the weight. And how do ya handle that?

I guess I would put just the roof poles together if I had a concrete slab big enough ,soak it in the pool scrub and than drag it out on to the frame, after it dried some I would put the legs in place an clean it some more. :dunno:

Never done it that way. The big thing is getting it dry, hard to do if it’s not on the frame in a warm area. The mildew has to be treated with something to kill it.

I never unroll my tents on bare ground , I put the ground tarp along side the frame, unroll on that and pull the canvas up over the frame left to right. Take it down the same way in reverse.

Let us know what works.
you are right, it will be extremely heavy if I soak it.  It is about 11x21.  ive heard you can't stop the mildew once it starts. im not sure if that's true either.  I've dried the tent and stored it for the winter in my garage.  I think I'll take it out in the summer when its really hot out, then put a tarp down on my concrete slab and lay it flat and clean and brush it there. probably get some mold/mildew treatment from the wall tent shop.  Probably let it lay on the slab for a day so the water drains off and it isn't so heavy.  Then put it up on the frame and give it a final rinse.

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 05:02:31 PM »

Let us know what works.
you are right, it will be extremely heavy if I soak it.  It is about 11x21.  ive heard you can't stop the mildew once it starts. im not sure if that's true either.  I've dried the tent and stored it for the winter in my garage.  I think I'll take it out in the summer when its really hot out, then put a tarp down on my concrete slab and lay it flat and clean and brush it there. probably get some mold/mildew treatment from the wall tent shop.  Probably let it lay on the slab for a day so the water drains off and it isn't so heavy.  Then put it up on the frame and give it a final rinse.

I think you will still have get air to it. It can still mildew under those conditions I think. Some how you have to get it lifted so air can get around the canvas. Hoist up with a tractor bucket, Throw a rope over a beam in the shop something to let the air around it after you wash it.

I would not let it lay on concrete wet. :twocents:

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 05:03:43 PM »
Where you located?

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2022, 06:20:49 PM »
yeah you're probably right about leaving it on concrete wet.  I could probably figure out how to get it on the frame wet or at least get it hanging and maybe put some big fans on it. I have access to a lot of 36" fans.  Im in Rathdrum

Offline elksnout

• Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2022, 07:08:09 PM »
Hang from rafters up off floor until the canvas is potato chip dry. While still hanging and during folding up of tent vacuum tent with shop vac and the brush attachment. Been doing that for years. Works well and tent isn’t stored dirty.

elksnout
Can't we all just get along?

Offline ghosthunter

• Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2022, 07:32:31 PM »
yeah you're probably right about leaving it on concrete wet.  I could probably figure out how to get it on the frame wet or at least get it hanging and maybe put some big fans on it. I have access to a lot of 36" fans.  Im in Rathdrum

Yeah
Rathdrum little far or I would give you a hand.

Got a buddy who moved there 3 years ago. Nice little town.

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2022, 08:37:13 PM »

Yeah
Rathdrum little far or I would give you a hand.

Got a buddy who moved there 3 years ago. Nice little town.
I'll get it figured out. Thanks anyway.  Its a nice town but the population has probably quadrupled in the last year and a half.
Anyone ever try pressure washer on their tent?  I would obviously be extremely careful.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2022, 08:56:53 PM »
When muddy I’ve pressure washed on driveway and then hang from wall corners from rafters.   Easier though to hang in shop and pressure wash while hung.   Lil messy.  Rope closeline outside between trees - tractor may be better.

I’ve washed with Dawn in big tub to cut mildew after spray cleaning.  Had a galvanized tub - just worked it thru didn’t fit all in at once. 

Offline snake

• Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2022, 06:51:16 PM »
When muddy I’ve pressure washed on driveway and then hang from wall corners from rafters.   Easier though to hang in shop and pressure wash while hung.   Lil messy.  Rope closeline outside between trees - tractor may be better.

I’ve washed with Dawn in big tub to cut mildew after spray cleaning.  Had a galvanized tub - just worked it thru didn’t fit all in at once.

that's great advice. I might try to submerge mine one way or another.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal