collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: water repellent spray recommendation  (Read 1290 times)

Offline toothfangclaw

• newbe
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
water repellent spray recommendation
« on: January 23, 2023, 08:28:00 AM »
I am looking for a water-repellent spray for my coat and shoes. Does anyone have a good recommendation?

Online Caseyd

• Site Sponsor
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: water repellent spray recommendation
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2023, 10:17:00 AM »
Nikwax TX Direct

Offline Sundance

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 10:44:22 AM »
Breathable footwear (synthetic materials) I like to use a silicone based waterproof aerosol spray, walmart sells it for $10. Leather footwear I prefer to use obenauf's cream and apply 2-3 times. Breathable raingear I like either Grangers or GearAid Revivx.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2023, 12:35:44 PM »
I used Tarrago Hightech Nano on numerous pairs of shoes now and it seems to be pretty good stuff.  It's easy to apply and though it gives a "wet" look to the shoes as it goes on once it dries you can't even tell they've been sprayed.  My wife got a new pair of Zamberlan hiking boots for Christmas and our daughter got a new pair of bright pink UGG slippers.  I wanted to spray both with a waterproofing/protectant so I used the Tarrago on both.  My wife and daughter were both very concerned the spray would change or discolor their new shoes but I assured them it wouldn't.  Honestly, I really wasn't all that sure it wouldn't but I told them it's no problem they'll be fine.  Naturally they both flipped the eff out when I walked back in with their new shoes and they looked wet and much darker.  My daughter was positive I had just ruined her bright new pink UGG slippers so I had to listen to that for awhile :rolleyes: but as they dried you could see them changing back and after a couple hours you couldn't even tell I sprayed and by the next morning they were just as blindingly bright pink as they were before.  Neither of them know this but a couple days later I sprayed them with a second coat just for added protection.  Not sure if they needed a second coat but I put one on them anyway.  My daughter wears them out of the house all the time and usually they'd already be water stained and dirty but this stuff seems to be working really well because they're still looking brand new.

https://www.amazon.com/Tarrago-Hightech-Nano-Protector-Spray/dp/B003U47QBY?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 04:36:38 PM »
I have used grangers XT waterproof on my Kuiu clothing after talking to them and trying to bring back some repellent on their rain gear. It worked ok but nothing like new. They suggested and everything I have read is to try to avoid washing them. Even the water repellent jackets like guide or attack clothing.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2023, 06:22:27 PM »
Breathable footwear (synthetic materials) I like to use a silicone based waterproof aerosol spray, walmart sells it for $10. Leather footwear I prefer to use obenauf's cream and apply 2-3 times. Breathable raingear I like either Grangers or GearAid Revivx.

Obenaufs is not a waterproofer. It’s to keep moisture in your leather to keep from drying out. This was straight from obenauf, told me to use their silicon spray . One thing I’ve learned is none of it actually works . The silicone was suppose to be applied 3-4 times and completely drying in between coats. Works great for some random splashes of water. Start hiking in rain soaked grass and brush and in minutes the boot looks as nothing was ever applied 

Offline Sundance

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2023, 09:46:30 AM »

Obenaufs is not a waterproofer. It’s to keep moisture in your leather to keep from drying out. This was straight from obenauf, told me to use their silicon spray . One thing I’ve learned is none of it actually works . The silicone was suppose to be applied 3-4 times and completely drying in between coats. Works great for some random splashes of water. Start hiking in rain soaked grass and brush and in minutes the boot looks as nothing was ever applied

I see what you mean, I can attest to the fact that it doesn't last a long time. In my peak fall season on the coast I will apply the obenauf cream and get 3-4 hunts until I need to reapply. After I finish a hunt I will come home, remove the laces, brush my boots clean, and dry them inside overnight. I also realize that each boot is different, and I may have gotten lucky with my current ones, going on 3 years. In your experience does the leather absorb the silicone spray? My synthetic footwear soaks up the spray, but I haven't found a pair that can last a whole day in coastal rain without wetting through.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2023, 10:30:01 AM »
I've used probably every fabric spray or at least most of them.  In my experience, they work great for about 12 minutes or until you brush the fabric against something.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]