collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: NEW LAWS NEEDED TO PROTECT HUNTING  (Read 2174 times)

Offline ICEMAN

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • The opinionated one... Y.A.R. Exec. Staff
NEW LAWS NEEDED TO PROTECT HUNTING
« on: January 25, 2008, 06:33:28 AM »
I have thought for years that we need a couple of new laws to protect and improve hunting and protect hunters in this state.

Considering all of the discussion lately regarding gun rights, rights to carry sidearms during archery season, poachers, and just plain trouble makers in the woods, I thought it might be time to throw out there a couple of the ideas that I have had. I am sure many of you have thought the same thing.

POACHERS
To deal with the issue of poachers, and since I believe that many poachers carry hunting licenses and use that license to validate why they are in the woods with a rifle... (tagging along "coyote hunting" during bow season to drop your buddies elk) (coyote hunting in the dead of winter, to drop that stressed buck after the regular season...) my plan is this:

Anti Poacher Law; All hunters in the state must have a background check to verify that no Warrants or FTA's appear on their record, prior to being issued a Washington Hunting License.

My thought on this issue is this: most all "normal" hunters are responsible enough to be free of an arrest warrant. When you got that speeding ticket last fall, you paid the fine, you took care of it, no warrant/FTA. Guys who could care less about taking care of their record are surely not going to take care of the outdoors, game or care about you. These guys are issued hunting licenses. We could change this.

IRRESPONSIBLE HUNTERS
Have you ever been cited by a game warden for some minor violation of a hunting regulation, sure, many good folks have. But, do you have a string of big game violations on your record? Probably not, yet many individuals do, and still return later to the woods to hunt. It is cheaper to go poach a bull elk, than to pay for a guided trip by far. "Teeth" needs to be put into current big game laws, teeth which would make just the thought of poaching any big game animal something no one would want to get caught doing.

Why is it that bow hunters have to suffer hunting with all those who have lost their gun rights? In theory, anyone who has lost their gun rights due to a felony conviction or Domestic Violence conviction is now a bowhunter. In my opinion, bow season should also be reserved for responsible hunters.

Responsible Hunter Law; My thought on this issue is; Hunters who have any big game violation/conviction, as well as hunters who have lost their gun rights must hunt a very short season which does not overlap other hunts. This group of hunters (Irresponsible Hunters) will lose any benefit or priveledge of hunting a long season, or season which is early in the year where game have not been exposed to hunting pressures. We can decide to reduce the amount of time or the season for this group of hunters. Heaven knows that legitimate hunter groups are faced with short seasons, special rules, it seem logical to place even tighter seasons and rules upon the irresponsible hunter.

molṑn labé

A Knuckle Draggin Neanderthal Meat Head

Kill your television....do it now.....

Don't make me hurt you.

“I don't feel we did wrong in taking this great country away from them. There were great numbers of people who needed new land, and the Indians were selfishly trying to keep it for themselves.”  John Wayne

sisu

Re: NEW LAWS NEEDED TO PROTECT HUNTING
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 07:39:27 AM »
As presented it looks good, but the record keeping bothers me. Example:
We were varmint hunting in eastern Montana near the North Dakota and Canada borders. On the way back to our motel we passed two US Border Patrol cars. We had three vehicles and were traveling at a high rate of speed when we zipped by them. We arrived in town, went to the local restaurant ate, went back to rooms, cleaned guns, watched TV and went to bed. At 0200 one of the rooms gets a knock at the door and there are the border patrol guys, sheriffs dept and Montana Hwy Patrol all in parking lot have guns drawn and the knocker is standing off to the side with hand on gun. Turns out the man in that room had his pick-up stolen back in December of 2003 it was recovered in Jan. of 2004. Washington State patrol forgot to remove it from the stolen vehicle list. All was solved with telephone call to his wife at 0230. All I can say is thank goodness that the Montana State Patrol took his wife's word over the phone that yes indeed her husband was the guy standing in front of him and that his uncle and cousins were on the trip.

No I don't believe we need more paper work than we have all ready.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 06:50:06 PM]

Holster for FNS 40C by bb76
[Today at 06:37:56 PM]