collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wierd Blacktail Horn Growth  (Read 2817 times)

Offline JPhelps

• I EAT ELK!!!
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Wierd Blacktail Horn Growth
« on: June 08, 2008, 12:01:09 PM »
Brushchimp and I went for a little hike Yesterday and saw three blacktail bucks.

The first buck we spotted was currently about a 4" spike that went straight up and were thick and very gnarly.  The deer also had a very big body.  Is there a reason for the wierd horn growth.  The horns look like they had no intention of widening up so I dont know about him just being in the early stages of horn growth.

Has anyone ever seen a blacktail with cactus horns?

Offline Michelle_Nelson

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
  • Bring on the Bears!
Re: Wierd Blacktail Horn Growth
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 12:26:30 PM »
Ya never really know.  He may have done some damage to the antlers just as they were starting to grow.  No one really knows why some deer grow funny antlers other than it sometimes being related to genetics.  It could also be how healthy the animal is.  I've heard it said that a deer with an injury to lets say his right side will develope an odd left antler.  Than again it doesn't always happen like that.

Offline Leanne

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Blacktails and Smokepoles, what could be better
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 01:00:56 PM »
I shot a 3x1 two years ago, his spike side was about ten inches long or so with now evidence of trying to branch.  I looked into it, reading articles about antler growth and asking around and I came to the conclusion that he must have damaged one of his testicles before his horns started to grow, I read that the opposite side of the weird horn was the one that was damaged.  There has never been a buck in the area with horns like his, I have hunted that area for seven years and  between my dad and I we have taken many nice deer out of there but never one like that one.  Maybe the buck you saw had something along those lines happen to him.

My dad also shot a a 4x1 about four years ago and he inspected the deer to find that he did indeed have a abnormal testicle, like it never descended down like the other did.

Just thought this would help

Offline LongTatLaw

• Suckling Slayer!
  • Sourdough
  • My 2009 West WA - Shotgun kitty Kat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:21:56 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
testicles

lol

Ive heard any damage to a limb can afect growth... I dont have any decent pics but Ive killed 4-5 deer that have a weird side and a knot, tumor, or huge scar on the opposite side limb.

Offline robb92

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Location: Spokane Wa, Andrews AFB, Maryland and King George, VA
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 08:14:09 PM »
We had a whitetail buck that was running aorund her on base that had three legs, he was missing the lower half of his left rear leg and the right side of his rack went strait out the side of his head, he was a 5x1. he ended up getting tangled up in some construction fence and was shot by one of the guys who was on the deer team.
"ITS NOT WHAT THE WISE MAN SAYS BUT WHAT THE WISE MAN DOES IN HIS LIFE THAT MATTERS"

Offline BC CHASER

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Si vis pacem para bellum
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 07:00:11 PM »
I have seen a few blacktails that fit your description.  Hard to pinpoint exactly what it is, but after alot of research on antlers and antler growth I believe he is probably a really old buck who has regressed and is on his last legs.  The other thing that makes me think that is, his growth doesnt seem to be too much for this time of the year.  I once saw a buck that had bases bigger than pop cans and only had about 4 1/2 total growth with a ton of knobby bumps.  His face was almost pure white.  We looked for his sheds for along time with no success.  Keep an eye on him and try to get some pics.  He might be a good buck for you to go after this year!  Although not huge the are true trophies.  Keep me posted on him if you can and take some photos!
WA.MT.UT.AZ.KS.NM.CO.AK.NZ.
Lion Pride founding member

Offline edmondshunter

• Scout
  • work to hunt, hunt to eat, eat to hunt more
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 01:39:42 PM »
We saw a few blacktails in the San Juan Is. last year with crazy growth.  One 2x3 buck had the left antler growing flat across the scalp left to right. 
A pat on the back is just shy of a kick in the ass..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]