collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What about this idea  (Read 16024 times)

Offline ducklab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
What about this idea
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
I was thinking, what if we have a thread that is for, farmers/private land owners, who need to have waterfowl or other game species out of their fields. I realize this might not be an easy thing to do but might be worth a try?

We could post fliers at the local CO-OPS and grain stores advertising that there is a forum of local, safe, ethical hunters (Washington hunters forum members) that might be willing to help their situation. They would get replies from hunters in a professional manner and they could choose from the willing participants. Maybe by personal interview or phone conversation.

Just thinking maybe it would be a easier, better, and faster way to get access to people who maybe don’t know where to find people to help get wildlife out of their crops or don’t get people knocking on their door to hunt.

I am just throwing this out there, maybe its been tried and failed.

Offline mrmoskillz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: What about this idea
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 12:13:14 PM »
Great idea! Sign my Son and I up we would love to help a farmer with those pesky birds

Offline AWS

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 02:11:35 PM »
This is a joke I hope or you think there are a lot of dumb farmers out there.  If they want to get rid of those pesky waterfowl/deer/elk they can just charge you a $100 a day trespass fee and let you have at them.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 03:33:00 PM »
Would a small fee sometimes be that bad? With most of the door knocking permission I have done there was always some sort of give and take, whether it was work, fish, meat, etc. I was just thinking that is could open up more areas. To more hunters.

Offline NW-GSP

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 03:42:22 PM »
I have seen skagit farmers wave down hunters to come get the geese off their land

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
Thats more like what im talking about, just trying to get the connections from farmers to the hunters.

Offline Kola16

• <><
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Go Cougs!
    • https://www.facebook.com/robbie.v.bailey16
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:54:58 PM »
I have seen skagit farmers wave down hunters to come get the geese off their land

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
If guns kill people...then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!

"God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy!"   -Billy Currington

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 07:33:22 PM »
Thats more like what im talking about, just trying to get the connections from farmers to the hunters.

Usually doesn't end well in these situations!  20 + guys and the farmer walks the geese out and the hunters drop 80 + geese.  Then it makes it to the paper.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 08:38:56 PM »
Ok was just a though. Thanks for the input guys.

Offline buglebuster

• ELKOHOLIC
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:04 PM »
Most the farmers with good numbers of birds are already contracted to alot of the guides in the more popular areas. Last year i went on a guided goose hunt with a buddy who was the guide, the guided trip runs $250 per person per day. They try to get 4-5 people per day per blind. Out of that $250 the owner of the guiding business gets $100, guide gets $50 and the farmer gets $100, thats right $100 per hunter each day they use the property! Good enough reason to say no to hunters...

Offline quackattack90

• Tracker
  • Groups: Washing Waterfowl Assoc.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 10:08:06 AM »
 :yeah:  I know in my area the majority of the farmers are in for the money and if they have high numbers of birds, they also have high priced leases.  1000-1500 bucks are common lease agreements in my area.

Offline Atroxus

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 10:41:44 AM »
Sounds great to me. I would love to get some access to private land, but I hate knocking on doors of strangers to ask. Seems a bit too much like door to door sales, which I can't stand.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:09:27 AM by Atroxus »

Offline Stick em

• Hunter
  • Fortune favors the prepared!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:54 AM »
I think Ducklab has good idea. Having read about the farmers that charge to hunt I have to believe that there are some out there that wouldn't charge $$$. I have done a lot of door knocking in the past and 90% of the time I have gotten a positive response. I always offer something in exchange, meat or services of some kind. So the exchange of something should occur. That just continues a good relationship. Many times with my bow in hand, I have had traffic stop and ask me if I could come reduce the wildlife on their property. Mostly I think that people don't know whats out there or available. I am a graphic designer (9-5) and am willing to offer my service to help put a flyer together if you want to try it out. I set one up a couple years ago for bear hunting and had good luck with it. Hey, if it's legal and ethical it's worth a shot.

Offline ducklab

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
 :yeah:

Stick em thank you. I was hoping for some positive feedback. You understand my idea. We aren't looking for farms that produce thousands and thousands of birds, or ranches that have hundreds of deer, or elk.

I was looking for people who maybe have 50 acres and a couple of deer eating their personal strawberry crop, or someone with 30 acres and one pack of coyotes always eating there rabbits, or a wheat farmer with a million prarie rats that have invaded his fields. or what ever else. More of short term hunting not necessarily leases, and contracts, and thousand acre farms.

There are people out there with smaller issues that need someone to help them with. I am targeting people a guide wouldn't necessarily seek out, an area that cant produce super large numbers for their clients. An area for people on WHF that would come for one weekend or a few days and take care of one deer, a flock of 20 geese, a couple of coyotes.

I think this can work. I think it will have a positive response.

Offline Skagit_Hunter

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 06:31:13 AM »

Usually doesn't end well in these situations!  20 + guys and the farmer walks the geese out and the hunters drop 80 + geese.  Then it makes it to the paper.

true.
it ends up as a black eye for the hunting public.
They have tried it a few times on Fir Island... It ends up like the elk slaughter on hwy 20... Bad bad ideA
The rules on Fir island is to stop these group slaughter fests.
Maybe it would work on the less populated east side of the state.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2012, 06:42:46 AM by Skagit_Hunter »
Bird counts in signature are as gay as Elton John's fanny pack.
Along with black hoodies

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal