Author Topic: Socks  (Read 7737 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Socks
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
Inside. Additional very thin layer that wicks moisture, prevents hotspots i.e. friction, etc.
I don't like them, some do.
I have literally never gotten a blister from hiking though so I'm blessed I guess.

http://www.rei.com/product/737999/rei-coolmax-liner-socks
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline RadSav

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 05:43:57 PM »
Well, gotta say I've never worn liners, do they go inside or outside of your sock? What is the benefit?

They go against your foot and then your main sock goes over those.  Cuts down on the friction between your sock and your foot.  And the good ones take wicking moisture from your foot to a level a normal sock just can not do.  The better ones are also a great insurance against getting heat blisters or friction blisters.
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline toothfangclaw

• newbe
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 06:12:00 PM »
I've heard that wearing a pair of nylons does the same thing. Anyone try?

Offline RadSav

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
I've heard that wearing a pair of nylons does the same thing. Anyone try?

Works good to reduce friction.  Not much for reducing moisture.  biggest draw back is the cross dressing jokes you have to endure in hunting camp :chuckle:
He asked, Do you ever give a short simple answer?  I replied, "Nope."

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Well, gotta say I've never worn liners, do they go inside or outside of your sock? What is the benefit?

They go against your foot and then your main sock goes over those.  Cuts down on the friction between your sock and your foot.  And the good ones take wicking moisture from your foot to a level a normal sock just can not do.  The better ones are also a great insurance against getting heat blisters or friction blisters.
I've taken his advice, I hike regularly about every Sunday. My feat used to always be like swamp feet even if they didn't get wet, and they have that "itch". I started wearing silk sock/boot liners under my whoolies. It works amazzzing. Its almost like a woman's nylon stocking but its a sock. Just allows for your foot to move around inside your sock without the friction of the whool on the skin.
Also helps draw moisture away from your foot and into the whool, while the liner sock stays dry. Very very nice. Last weeks hike was crazy conditions but felt feet amazing.
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2013, 07:16:39 PM »

As the others have said liner goes inside I wear them and really like them polypropylene though not silk have never gotten a blister with a liner
IAFF #3728

Offline Worldhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2013, 07:18:55 PM »
Women's nylon is a great way to avoid hot spots.

Offline Smossy

• Illiterate Woodsman
  • Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Slow down and enjoy the moment.
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2013, 07:27:16 PM »

As the others have said liner goes inside I wear them and really like them polypropylene though not silk have never gotten a blister with a liner
Not sure 100% if its silk. I actually don't think they are, But they're very thin and somewhat transparent. I just call em silk cause I threw away the package :chuckle:
One touch of nature makes the whole world kin.

Offline TONTO

• Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2013, 07:48:42 PM »
  Reading about all the nylon booties just reminded me of running my dad all over town opening day eve looking for a set of male garters. Miss ya dad, hope the hunting's happy and your socks are stay'n up.:tup:

Offline coachcw

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: Team getsum !
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2013, 07:54:55 PM »
I wear smart wools daily for work and hunting , I love them. also i've been getting exofico boxer briefs from cabellas and love them !
My wife told me that I hunt way more than I did when we first got married. I said yeah I know isn't it great !

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 01:21:15 PM »
Inside. Additional very thin layer that wicks moisture, prevents hotspots i.e. friction, etc.
I don't like them, some do.
I have literally never gotten a blister from hiking though so I'm blessed I guess.

http://www.rei.com/product/737999/rei-coolmax-liner-socks

I'm one of the few I have heard of that liners cause more blisters  :dunno:

Most people I know agree that liners keep the blisters away. I have trouble keeping all socks from bunching up, liners seem to make this worse as well. I have to admit though, your feet are tons dryer with good liners.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:07 PM »
I have a neat trick using electrical tape just below the ankle bone to keep 99% of sock bunching ( at least from the ankle down) from happening.

I use colored tape ( avialable at Home Depot) not the black as it is too gummy and makes a mess of things.

Pull your socks up snug, then make one fairly tight wrap all the way around the ankle just below the bone/ joint.  The tape will stretch enough that it will not really be noticeable while on. If it is too tight, you can pull on the tape a bit by working a finger under it, it will stretch.   This keeps your socks from bunching up at your toes, especially in waders.
 I use this pretty much any time I have boots on.  Leave the tape on when you pull the socks off and wash normally.  Following washing, the tape comes off  easier and won't damage the sock when removed.  Some times you can even just leave the tape on the sock, even after the wash, and they will work a second time without applying new.  The times I have had the socks slip is with one particular pair of wool socks and soaking wet feet.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:30:02 PM by Cylvertip »
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Sagehawker

• Tracker
  • Groups: WFA, NAFA
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
Worked in commercial freezers in an earlier period of life.  Two things made my feet happy.

1.  Extra socks changed throughout the day were like getting new feet.  I do this when hiking and hunting to this day.

2.  The other was taught by a grizzled veteran teamster.  Anti-perspirant  sprayed on the feet eased cold toes (if done before work).  Those were the days before the nice boots we have today.  Never tried it hunting but did when snowmobiling and it was useful.

I hunt nasty cheatgrass country early in the season a great deal so I use cheapest socks I can buy and toss them.  My wife complained about the expense until one day we set down to pull the seeds out of a pair.  She now bargain shops for my warm weather hunting socks.

Take care of those feet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Phil Smith

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2013, 06:58:00 AM »
I have a neat trick using electrical tape just below the ankle bone to keep 99% of sock bunching ( at least from the ankle down) from happening.

I use colored tape ( avialable at Home Depot) not the black as it is too gummy and makes a mess of things.

Pull your socks up snug, then make one fairly tight wrap all the way around the ankle just below the bone/ joint.  The tape will stretch enough that it will not really be noticeable while on. If it is too tight, you can pull on the tape a bit by working a finger under it, it will stretch.   This keeps your socks from bunching up at your toes, especially in waders.
 I use this pretty much any time I have boots on.  Leave the tape on when you pull the socks off and wash normally.  Following washing, the tape comes off  easier and won't damage the sock when removed.  Some times you can even just leave the tape on the sock, even after the wash, and they will work a second time without applying new.  The times I have had the socks slip is with one particular pair of wool socks and soaking wet feet.

Thx for the tip. I will have to try this
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

World Record Archery Blacktail by pd
[Today at 07:31:15 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by trophyhunt
[Today at 07:20:21 PM]

Hunting Dog Memorial by Henrydog
[Today at 07:06:30 PM]

Pairs by nwwanderer
[Today at 07:02:59 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab