collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: no 2017 sheds!  (Read 10076 times)

Offline yum tag soup

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
no 2017 sheds!
« on: January 12, 2017, 08:02:45 PM »
Just thought we should not jack the real thread. Instead, tell me how if I jump a deer in winter it has a butterfly effect. Also why do people feel they should try to shame people for posting a cool pic? Ok , I'm ready for the just educating response  :tup:

Offline MtnMuley

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
Re: no 2017 sheds!
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2017, 08:21:59 PM »
Pretty simple. Don't be a pot and call the kettle black. :tup: post away with them sheds tag soup :tup:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2017, 08:24:20 PM »
Just thought we should not jack the real thread. Instead, tell me how if I jump a deer in winter it has a butterfly effect. Also why do people feel they should try to shame people for posting a cool pic? Ok , I'm ready for the just educating response  :tup:
huh ?? A butterfly affect? :dunno: so lost I am !!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 09:19:27 AM »
Here's the deal. One guy jumping a deer once or twice in the winter in deep snow, when they have limited forage available, and are dealing with predators already... probably not a big deal.

The problem arises when you get dozens of guys hiking through wintering grounds in January, months before these animals will likely see any reprieve from the weather and gain access to quality food again. They jump animals that are already stressed and use up the valuable fat/calorie reserves that they have.

For bucks, especially mature ones that were very active in the rut, this can be a death sentence. For does, if stressed enough, they can miscarry their fawns.

Most of our deer and elk went into this winter in pretty good shape, given the very warm start to December that we had. Some areas since then have experienced unseasonably cold weather for very extended periods, and that is a huge drain on calorie supplies for these animals.

So again, one guy moving animals once or twice, not a big deal probably, but continuously, by many people, turns into a big deal. 
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 10:36:01 AM »
Here's the deal. One guy jumping a deer once or twice in the winter in deep snow, when they have limited forage available, and are dealing with predators already... probably not a big deal.

The problem arises when you get dozens of guys hiking through wintering grounds in January, months before these animals will likely see any reprieve from the weather and gain access to quality food again. They jump animals that are already stressed and use up the valuable fat/calorie reserves that they have.

For bucks, especially mature ones that were very active in the rut, this can be a death sentence. For does, if stressed enough, they can miscarry their fawns.

Most of our deer and elk went into this winter in pretty good shape, given the very warm start to December that we had. Some areas since then have experienced unseasonably cold weather for very extended periods, and that is a huge drain on calorie supplies for these animals.

So again, one guy moving animals once or twice, not a big deal probably, but continuously, by many people, turns into a big deal. 
Wish it was just hiking.  Try snowmobiles.  Nothing like seeing any of several local shed hunters' sleds loaded up with the skags jammed full of torn off bitterbrush, and the sled trails all over the winter range. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 06:13:07 PM »
It's definitely a problem. Sleds are obviously far worse. I hate more regulation as much as the next guy, and as much as I hate to see it, it's going to take closures and fines to stop the insanity, since people won't self regulate.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 08:24:37 PM »
Unfortunately folks who are just greedy for the sheds won't see the logic in any of this. 
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
huh ?? A butterfly affect? :dunno: so lost I am !!!
A Sound of Thunder

Offline yum tag soup

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 09:12:01 PM »
Keep it coming. I found this site last year while doing an internet search of sheds. Now I have this awesome site I check daily. Just found it kinda messed up the way people poke at a guy that found an antler. I get the dbgs that chase animals on automobiles but don't bust someones bls for hiking around :twocents:

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 09:16:36 PM »
Unfortunately folks who are just greedy for the sheds won't see the logic in any of this.
:yeah:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 09:37:09 PM »

exactly!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 09:51:44 PM »

Wish it was just hiking.  Try snowmobiles.  Nothing like seeing any of several local shed hunters' sleds loaded up with the skags jammed full of torn off bitterbrush, and the sled trails all over the winter range.

No kidding! :mor:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline mfswallace

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 10:04:45 PM »
Pretty simple. Don't be a pot and call the kettle black. :tup: post away with them sheds tag soup :tup:

:puke: :stirthepot: :peep: :boxin: :beatdeadhorse: :nono: :stup: :pee: :llam: :violent1: :cryriver: :DOH: :tdown:

Offline huntnnw

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
YUP! IEP is closed to sleds yet the locals call it their own winter playground around here :bash:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2017, 07:38:38 AM »
Keep it coming. I found this site last year while doing an internet search of sheds. Now I have this awesome site I check daily. Just found it kinda messed up the way people poke at a guy that found an antler. I get the dbgs that chase animals on automobiles but don't bust someones bls for hiking around :twocents:

Unfortunately the negativity is compounded due to all the crazy means the greedy ones use to stockpile their sheds.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter