collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Garmin Rino 600 series  (Read 6243 times)

Offline Clearcut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Garmin Rino 600 series
« on: September 28, 2016, 04:34:17 PM »
Maybe this has been gone over but just curious what everyone's opinion or overall experience has been with the 600 series of garmin rino radios . Me an my buddies all have them. I can say that we are all less then impressed with radio quality an durability for the price tag attached.. curious what everyone else has to say .

Offline outdooraddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: Garmin Rino 600 series
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 04:49:54 PM »
i agree, i was standing next to my dad, and a buddy was talking to us through the radios, i didnt have one word come through my radio, my dad has the green 120 and he got every word clear as a bell. i was really disapointed in the radio, the only thing i like so far is the gps landowner map.  i wish i wouldnt have lost my rhino 120

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 04:52:53 PM »
Ya radio quality has been extremely poor. The gps function an mapping is good but radio quality has a long ways to come.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 05:30:56 PM »
Well this isn't good to hear, just bought a 650t a while ago and haven't used the radio yet.  My hunting partner just bought the brand new 700 series model, we will see this weekend how they work in the hills.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 05:46:18 PM »
How is the partner mapping feature set, does it work?  Did I hear right that some of them will do txt type messaging as well, does that function well?

I am considering a gps, and was thinking Rhino, I really like the concept of being able to see my hunting partners if we all decide to split and run different sides of drainages, or one person sit static.

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 06:21:03 PM »
Ya I would be curious to see if the 700 series is better... the 600 series is water proof but the speaker can still fill up with water and makes things very muffled like your talking in a fish tank in my expierence .. that's in heavy rain. The hunting partner updating an mapping does work good an is very handy .

Offline Pinetar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 06:48:09 PM »
I just sat down to order two of these radios, now I'm going to have to wait and see how this plays out. A buddy of mine said you can text with them? I couldn't find this in the write up I read about them, is it true?

Offline Clearcut

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »
Yes you can send an recieve text. Haven't used that function much. Kind of a slow process but maybe someone else who has more time with it will chime
In

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 07:25:56 PM »
They have been good for us.  Little complicated.  Menu could be simpler.  Screen wears and can be hard to see.  Radio has been way better than any walkie could hope for.  Room for improvement but I love it.  610 is inferior.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 06:07:35 AM »
I have the 655T and absolutely love it with the OnX download. The radio works fine. The touch screen is fine but could be bigger is all.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 06:40:42 AM »
I have the 655T and absolutely love it with the OnX download. The radio works fine. The touch screen is fine but could be bigger is all.
That's good to hear about the radio, I have the same model.  I agree the screen could be a bit bigger.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline haugenna

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 06:48:22 AM »
The text feature on mine is pretty much useless. The texts are not stored and cannot be read unless the other person is looking at the screen at that very second. If you have polling on, anyone with a radio like that can see where you are.

Offline jtw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 06:54:44 AM »
I have a 655t with onx for washington installed. The user interface is clunky, I rarely use the radio, but when I do it's adequate. The gps is the best part.
If this one breaks, I'll be getting just a gps. The radio has rarely been useful for me.

Offline Drewski

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 07:11:18 AM »
I picked up a 650T and it works great. Radio is fine, although when hunting i put it on mute as to not make noise. The partner info is great as it helps us maintain spacing when pushing through timber to meet up at a predetermined spot.

Offline Labs07

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 07:14:53 AM »
I have a 655t and love it.  Don't use the radio much but it is nice to have if stuff goes wrong or you get something down and need help.  I have the map chips for WA and WY and have used these extensively and not had any issues at all. 

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal