collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Landowner Damage Control Permits  (Read 6871 times)

Offline Lets Hunt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Landowner Damage Control Permits
« on: October 04, 2007, 07:16:58 AM »
I was just wondering how everyone felt about damage control permits given to landowners.

I don't really mind that they get them as much as they charge people to use them. I know that they are charging for the privlidge to "Hunt Private Land" but without the damage permits not many would pay the prices they get for these hunts. If you crops are being damaged they should want hunters to come in and HELP them. I also don't mind landowners charging to hunt their land during general season's thats their right but once they ask and recieve damage permits they should not be alowed to charge for these hunts. I hate to see these guys make a profit for getting help to controll the elk on their property. How would they feel if the Game department started charging them 5-10K for their permits. Sorry about my ranting here i just had a customer come in who has no crop to be damaged but applied and recieved 3 damage permits for cows on his property the only reason he got them was so he could make some extra cash (He admitted to this so it's not speculation) he already sold the right to hunt his land to two people for 1500.00 each and he will give them the permit.

Just wondering how others feel about this.

-ian

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Landowner Damage Control Permits
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »
i think whoever paid the guy 1500 to shoot a cow needs a little help.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2007, 07:53:18 AM »
I agree but there are lots of people out their with more mony then brains. I would never pay to hunt unless it was a guided hunt or at least a drop hunt in alaska or canada.

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 07:55:01 AM »
by the way i posted this on another site and was just wondering how people feel about it here.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 08:05:41 AM »
IMO...if the landowner paid all the money to own the land, and there's people dumb enough to pay him to hunt it, then the landowner's the smart one. doesn't make it right, wrong or indifferent.
it's kind of the way of the world these days...sad but true
my .02
there's still a lot of nice people out there that will allow folks to hunt on private land...and for that i'm thankful.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 08:18:57 AM »
I agree we are very lucky for those landowners that give us the privleage to hunt their land. I don't mind the landowners charging a fee to hunt on a general tag just in my opinion they should not be alowed damage tags unless they are willing to issue them freely.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2007, 08:26:33 AM »
just like NM or colorado landowner tags...if you don't feel like waiting to draw and you have the jingle...you can buy a tag. that's ok with me. i will never have the $$ to buy one, but i don't think they're wrong.
have you seen the prices on those?
http://www.huntinfool.com/landowner.html

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2007, 09:20:36 AM »
i cant use the link you posted (darn work puters and their web blockers) but i'am sure they are expensive. I Guess i think they shoud not be able to sell something they are given by the state to help them out. perhaps the state should charge them for the tags if they plan on selling them.

Online Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2007, 09:40:11 AM »
$1500 for a cow is a pretty high price, wow I wonder how much a pound of meat that works out to be.

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2007, 11:50:24 AM »
Not sure but way to much is my guess. He sold these without a problem for this price. Maybe i need to buy some land in the middle of elk country plant alfalfa and complain about damage so i could open a private hunting club and sell permits i get for free.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »
if you had this land...would you allow every tom, dick and harry onto it to hunt for free? after all the money you dropped on the land?
also think along the lines that the alfalfa that the imaginary farmer is growing and the elk are eating is being used to feed his stock or sold to make money to feed his family. more money out of his pocket.
i'm not trying to argue, just a healthy debate...but in the same breath, i would not expect a landowner to allow joe shmoe onto his land just because he got a damage control tag.

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007, 01:05:42 PM »
I'am not trying to argue either it's just nice to hear others opinions and be able to debate them.

I'am not saying he has to let every tom, dick and harry onto his property but if he gets three tags he should give them away to family freinds or whatever and if he dosn't know anyone let the game department help him find someone. He's already willing to let any tom, dick and harry with money on his land. I don't see how farmers can complain and recieve money for damaged crops when they are not willing to let hunters in even if they select the hunters themself.

On another note i was just talking with a landowner on my lunch break and got permission to hunt another 1500 or so acres this year. wich makes 3900 acres total i have gotten permission for in just one week. So there are lots on landowners out there that will still let responsible hunters onto their land. I hope to talk to many more in the next few weeks. This last landowner gets damage tags for his land and told me that when he gets them he has to make a agreement with the game deprtment to let ANYONE with a valid elk tag take a elk on his property during a open season if the elk are visible from pulbic land including roadways. I had never heard this before and thought it was interesting. I would never force my way onto someonse property if they said no anyways but it was interesting to know and i wouldn't mind knowing if it was true or not.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007, 01:30:20 PM »
I hunt 2k acres of private i've hadpermission to hunt on for the last 6 years.
i'm with you. just creating jabber thats all.
they're all valid points IMO...just depends on the person.

Offline Lets Hunt

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007, 02:10:51 PM »
Your right everyone sees things a little diffrent dosn't mean anyone is wrong or right.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal