collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Buying a vehicle in Canada  (Read 2207 times)

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Buying a vehicle in Canada
« on: March 12, 2017, 11:27:25 AM »
A lot of vehicles from Canada pop up on the Bellingham CL adds.  I was curious who has purchased vehicles from Canada and what additional hidden fees might come with it?  I know cash is king, but if you have to finance, what other obstacles might you be hit with.  I have been looking to upgrade my Suburban to a 2015 / 2016 and I can save if correct over $14k on one I am currently looking at vs. buying it here locally.  I know a few car dealerships that have been buying a lot of inventory in Canada as well, but once it is down here, the prices aren't as attractive.  I image they can make a lot more on the back end, buying these deals.  Exchange rate is currently $.74 / $1.00.  Any personal experience would be appreciated.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline cbond3318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Buying a vehicle in Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
We just purchased a Canadian vehicle through a dealership here in Washington so I can't offer first hand buying in Canada experience but, when I was discussing this with dealer, he said the vehicle had to be inspected, certified and bonded. Odometers needed changed by an approved shop and then the vehicle had to be stored for min. 30 days in a secured and approved location.

Sounded like a hassle if it equally applies to private buy, the savings may not end up as savings after all the hoops. :twocents:
Just tend your own and live.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 03:00:29 PM »
Import fees are for one. If it's not on the list of approved vehicles to import it can still be done as a parts only vehicle, but you have to cut the vehicle in half through the frame. You might be back where you started price wise after state tax and federal import taxes.

Sent from my RCT6873W42 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2017, 03:25:51 PM »
It's not a big deal, if you see a vehicle you like and the dollars come out in your favor go for it. 

If you buy a domestic vehicle there's no import fees, but you will need to make sure it's US DOT and EPA approved, look for a sticker saying it meets all US epa and dot requirements or you will need to get a letter from the manufacturer saying it complies. 

This is for self imports, if a dealer or someone else imports it on your behalf then all the stuff cbond3318 say's applies. 

Offline littlemac

• Scout
  • Life Member NRA, Life RMEF, Life SCI
Buying a vehicle in Canada
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 09:09:19 AM »
I bought a Ram 4x4 crew cab one ton 2014 in 2015 for my car hauler. You will lose warranty on most if not all brands as  the factories don't like them to cross border either way.  GM Canada doesn't like reimbursing warranty $ to the US and vice versa.  Also, as a car dealer I have brought down more than I could count over the years.  If you find one as KFhunter says, that fits your budget it makes sense.  Emission warranty is always good, I believe, just not standard warranty.  Motor, trans, adjustments etc, not covered.  You can buy an extended warranty which many dealers sell to solve the problem.
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor even the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

-- Charles Darwin

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 09:25:02 AM »
I almost did, but it ended up being a thrashed oil fields truck.

As mentioned, you need some type of proof it meets DOE/EPA rules, the one I was looking at had a letter from Ford.  Private party sales may be more challenging here.

Also, if you go up with cash, you have to declare it leaving the US, get it counted and paperworked.  Canada didn't seem to mind as long as the US paperwork is in order.  Be prepared to have a ton of questions and suspicions even for a pretty modest amount.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 09:44:12 AM »
I've been looking for a duramax and Canada has really good deals. But I've heard they salt the heck out of the roads and you will start having undercarriage issues down the road.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]