collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Reloading Tip - Bullet Seating concentricity < .001  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Reloading Tip - Bullet Seating concentricity < .001
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:05:33 AM »
Bullet Seating - Anyone check their loads with a hornady concentricity gage? I have a basic seating die and was getting .002-.005 runout so played around and was able to drop it to average less than .001 (.0005-.002). 

My process:  Seat bullet 1/4 way in, back off enough to rotate shell 1/3, repeat - 4 strokes to fully seat.

Im sure guys have been doing this for 50 years but was new to me. Getting better results now than even Redding Comp die.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
Re: Reloading Tip - Bullet Seating concentricity < .001
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
Very interesting, I'll have to load some the regular way and some useing this method and see what difference it make. Thanks for sharing this.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 09:39:10 PM »
I've debated on doing this.....it's definitely not a unanimous green light that this will help out as when you chamber the round the chamber should aline every thing... "allegedly"

So I've put it on the back burner of random things to purchase and do...cool to see your having good results tho.....what kind of improvement have you noticed ?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
Interesting, have you been able to see an improvement in bullet accuracy?
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:29 PM »
I'm struggling with a new gun and am wondering about runout. Redding Deluxe dies and everything else I can figure for an accurate load has not worked.

I there any data on how bad runout effects accuracy?

This tool is on my short list.

On a side, does anyone have a borescope near Hoquium that would be willing to take a look at my bore?

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:18:41 AM »
Runout certainly affects accuracy, but MOST people cannot out shoot .004-.005" runout. I've found that I can hold .001" by using quality brass (lapua) and lee collet dies. I use a hornady seater, but the forster or wilson is a better choice no doubt.

If I chuck up my brass it runs just under a thou for runout. If you were to check your bullets you'd see there's actually some runout there too. If you do the work properly and aneal, turn and square your brass it's quite possible to get very low runout. Will YOU benefit from it?......that's a tough call as you're talking about shaving a couple hundredths off your group and most guys fail a wind call or hold that much.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:17 AM »
Interesting, have you been able to see an improvement in bullet accuracy?
I suspect the difference is small - Im not yet to the point to notice it yet. I need to start writing runout on the cases to see if theres any coorelation to accurate loads. 

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:32:59 AM »
Persenaly I can understand runout concern with a custom rifle, quality barrel, reputable smith and a spot on bedding job. Not to mention quality optics, a pilot actually capable of driving the rifle and a shooting distance that would make near perfect runout noticeable.

As for crimping, I have crimped one bolt action chambering in 30 years of reloading (.450 Ultra Magnum). I leave my crimping for some of my AR/Gas gun loads.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:18:44 AM »
I'm struggling with a new gun and am wondering about runout. Redding Deluxe dies and everything else I can figure for an accurate load has not worked.

On a side, does anyone have a borescope near Hoquium that would be willing to take a look at my bore?
.   Good trigger?   Runout would be way down on my list of suspects.  But it is nice to spin the cartridge and see a zero runout. Doesnt mean it will shoot straight but its progress.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:10:01 AM »
What's your load recipe, and how far off the lands are you? What's this rifle do with other loads.....does it shoot anything well?

Offline Yondering

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
I've debated on doing this.....it's definitely not a unanimous green light that this will help out as when you chamber the round the chamber should aline every thing... "allegedly"

No, in most cases a rifle chamber will not re-align a bullet with lots of runout, same for case necks. The bullet may (or may not) straighten out once it's fired, but definitely not when the round is just chambered.
If you actually need less runout, fix that in the loading process, don't expect the chamber to do it for you.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:31 AM »

.   Good trigger?   Runout would be way down on my list of suspects.  But it is nice to spin the cartridge and see a zero runout. Doesnt mean it will shoot straight but its progress.

Runout is way down the list but is where I am at now. I think if it were bad enough to cause problems I would be able to tell without a gauge. Just wondering though.

Trigger is crisp 2.5lbs.

28 Nosler, 175 ABLR, 78.3 gr H1000, Fed 215M, seated 3.55 oal.

I have tried lengths from SAAMI to jam with numerous loads and recipes and it seems to like being about .2 off the lands the best.

It seems I can't get anything to shoot consistently. Proof round was 180 VLD Hunting over 81 gr. Retumbo at 3.540 oal. I need to recreate this but have not had time to get the bullets ordered.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Offline high country

• Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:11 PM »

Runout is way down the list but is where I am at now. I think if it were bad enough to cause problems I would be able to tell without a gauge. Just wondering though.

Trigger is crisp 2.5lbs.

I have tried lengths from SAAMI to jam with numerous loads and recipes and it seems to like being about .2 off the lands the best.

It seems I can't get anything to shoot consistently. Proof round was 180 VLD Hunting over 81 gr. Retumbo at 3.540 oal. I need to recreate this but have not had time to get the bullets ordered.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Lrab and h1000....that's gonna be a pain. I spoke with nosler and it is a common problem. Slow powder pushes the bullet through the leade inconsistently. I had to seat very deep and crimp in order to get the lrabs to work in a few rifles.....but they went from 3.0" to 0.4" I also was able to get them to shoot by using faster powders. If you have any fast for the weight powders, load a few and see if it improves. It's worth seating some like .150" and crimping with the h1000 too.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »

How long is your barrel ?

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 11:58:30 PM »
Interesting about slower powders and the lrab. Does make sense if seated far out with less initial concentric stability. The faster powders would get it through the leade quicker and possibly more consistently. I have some 7828 and H4831 which may work. I am also considering trying the 168 ablr, ~0.10 shorter and if I can get a few fps more velocity it does not fall behind the 175 until ~1200 yards, well beyond my range:).

26" barrel plus muzzle brake.

I have had rifles over the years that are pretty consistent 1-1.5" shooters with any load I come up with and struggle to tighten it up to <1" but usually get it figured out. This is the first rifle I have had that opens from <3/4" to 3"+ with a change of a few hundredths in seating depth or by using a different primer. Very finicky to say the least!

I think I have come up with a .5 moa recipe, now to see if I can get it to perform consistently...  I did try the multiple rotations during seating today to try and negate any runout, we'll see if it all works.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:00:45 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]