collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ripped the rim off the shell?  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
Ripped the rim off the shell?
« on: July 12, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
So I recently got a 930SPX from Mossberg. I took it out a couple weekends ago and while the shotgun itself ran great (after I made some mods, thank you OR3gun) twice the extractor ripped a chunk out of the rim of the shell. I had to go back to the truck and use a rod to bang it out of the chamber (quick tap not bad). It only did this on the cheaper low brass shells but out of 20+ years of shooting I've never seen that happen. is this a result of the shells or is there something going on with the shotgun I need to look at?
Vegetarian: Old Indian word for Bad Hunter.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
Re: Ripped the rim off the shell?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 09:14:14 AM »
I had the same issue with a Remington when using the cheaper shells.  Drove me nuts.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
My 11-87 used to do that, I took a brake cylinder hone and cleaned the chamber up a little bit. Hasn't had an issue with extraction sense then. Maybe you've got a rough chamber or a burr?

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 09:18:49 AM »
I had the same issue with a Remington when using the cheaper shells.  Drove me nuts.

So is the gas system moving too fast or is it just cause the el cheapo shell have weak rims? I should note it didn't have this problem with any of the game/pheasant loads that were high brass or any of the buckshot/slugs that were the same. just the low brass shells and it just did it twice. I THINK they were the Winchesters. I know the cheap Remington's (gold hulls) gave me no issues.

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 09:24:27 AM »

So is the gas system moving too fast or is it just cause the el cheapo shell have weak rims? I should note it didn't have this problem with any of the game/pheasant loads that were high brass or any of the buckshot/slugs that were the same. just the low brass shells and it just did it twice. I THINK they were the Winchesters. I know the cheap Remington's (gold hulls) gave me no issues.

I figured it was just the cheap ammo.  If I recall it was the el-cheapo Winchesters from WalMart that did it, no other brand.
It wasn't every shell either, maybe 1 out of 20 or so.  Very frustrating so I just quit using them in that gun.  Others I've talked to have had the issue as well.

Offline Mongo Hunter

• Longhunter
  • Pew Pew lifestyle
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 09:38:10 AM »
Awesome, thank you for the help. Not the first time Ive heard the Walmart Winchester shells giving issues to people, this is just he first like this I've seen. I will say I was impressed with the Remington ones. worked great and were only a little more expensive then some of the others.

Offline Night goat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2017, 08:42:32 PM »
I had a Sportsman 48 Remington do something like that out trap shooting at a pit, loaded 3, quickly poped off 2, and on the 3rd... well... I was shooting walmart value pack shells, extractor ripped the low brass totally off the hull, shot exited the action sideways, charging handle went flying, of course thats a removal piece, just clips in and out kind of as a safety, wad exited the muzzle, the hull of the shell was about 6" down the breach.... had to shake the rest of the shot out of the gun.... bolt totally locked back like it should on a last shell though.
I think the entire hull/wad/load tried to exit the barrel and everything but the wad followed the path of least resistance inches from my face

went and bought my benelli later that day after I changed my pants... no injury, no visable damage to gun... havent shot it in 10 years, retired it at that point... still a good looker, never bothered to get it fixed or looked at, only shoots 2 3/4, but ive thought about it...

I attributed it to being grandpas old shotgun, but.... having second thoughts on that call
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:00:32 PM by Night goat »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal