collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Boot return policies?  (Read 4118 times)

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Boot return policies?
« on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:52 AM »
I don't live in a great area to try on boots, nor do I make it to those places very often. I've been hesitant to order anything online because I'm worried about the hassle of returning/exchanging to get the right fit. Beyond that, what I'm really concerned about is whether or not I can really try these out. Are you guys wearing boots for 10+ miles and then returning them? I got way too far with my Meindl's. Probably 80-100 mi on them at least.

I have to buy new boots. There's no way around it. I currently run Meindl's Denali, and they destroy my feet. I've never had foot problems in my life. But these make the balls of my feet hurt so incredibly bad that I can barely walk downhill after all day. Before I tried the Perfekts, but was having a fit issue. I tried these on, and at the store they felt great. After hunting in them for a bit, I thought maybe they needed more break in (previous were Pronghorns before they went downhill). I was just in the beginning stages of spring bear so I didn't have a choice, I had to use these. I've tried many different types of inserts - currently have Lathrops in. But still have the problem. They're a stiffer boot than I'm used to, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any type of broken/rocky ground and it's going to be a long day.

Fast forward to today - I'm looking at all brands... Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa - am I missing someone? I don't want to go through this scenario again where I hate my boot, but can't do much about it.

Offline chiwawadan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Boot return policies?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 11:09:22 AM »
I don't live in a great area to try on boots, nor do I make it to those places very often. I've been hesitant to order anything online because I'm worried about the hassle of returning/exchanging to get the right fit. Beyond that, what I'm really concerned about is whether or not I can really try these out. Are you guys wearing boots for 10+ miles and then returning them? I got way too far with my Meindl's. Probably 80-100 mi on them at least.

I have to buy new boots. There's no way around it. I currently run Meindl's Denali, and they destroy my feet. I've never had foot problems in my life. But these make the balls of my feet hurt so incredibly bad that I can barely walk downhill after all day. Before I tried the Perfekts, but was having a fit issue. I tried these on, and at the store they felt great. After hunting in them for a bit, I thought maybe they needed more break in (previous were Pronghorns before they went downhill). I was just in the beginning stages of spring bear so I didn't have a choice, I had to use these. I've tried many different types of inserts - currently have Lathrops in. But still have the problem. They're a stiffer boot than I'm used to, I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Any type of broken/rocky ground and it's going to be a long day.

Fast forward to today - I'm looking at all brands... Crispi, Kenetrek, Lowa - am I missing someone? I don't want to go through this scenario again where I hate my boot, but can't do much about it.

Also add Schnee's to your list of brands to check.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 11:22:19 AM »
Might give lathrop and sons a call and talk about the custom fitting service. It isn’t cheap but you’ll never have to worry about crappy fitting boots.  :twocents:

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »
I would suggest getting your feet measured, especially for width.  I just found out my feet are "extra wide".  That means 4E+.  And I wonder why I've had problems with shoes and boots my whole life.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 12:02:18 PM »
The Schnee’s Beartooths I just picked up are the most comfortable and easiest boot to break in I’ve ever owned before. I spend a lot of time in the woods for work so I love boots that don’t take 20-30 miles to break in.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 12:08:15 PM »
Just remember as you get older your feet will have a tendency to get wider, those with high insteps will find it getting smaller. Also you lose the muscle in on the bottoms which is harder on your feet. :twocents:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2018, 12:10:19 PM »
I don't think of it as getting older, I think of it as being broke :chuckle: in.
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 12:17:41 PM »
Boots are highly personal, you will find lovers and haters for every brand.

Unfortunately, I don't know many places that will take boots back that have been visibly worn.  There are a few retailers that will, look more toward the REI type of store as well as store brands like Cabelas.

Personally, I've had the best luck with brands not mentioned on here.  Again, it's a personal thing and for me, I don't want to spend $400 on a brick for my feet, I like light, roomy and zero or near zero heel drop.

Offline redi

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
Cabelas has a great return policy. 60 days no questions asked no matter how much you wore them.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 08:14:10 PM »
I am made fun of often and go barefoot as often as possible.  It has helped me tremendous.  Going on about 10 years now.  I no *censored* completely gutted and rebuilt a 1946 rental house for three months last summer and did it barefoot.  Ace hardware got use to it and I am sure still talk about me.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2018, 08:57:57 PM »
My feet have very little "cushion" on the top of my feet. The vains stand higher than the rest of my foot, so a lot of boots and shoes when laced cut the circulation off, and are very uncomfortable. 40 years of kicking things (martial arts) starts to effect your feet in negative ways. It makes it hard to find boots that work with my feet. Even within the same brand the different models fit differently. I have had the most luck with Merrell boots and trail shoes, and Asolo GTXs as boots.
Creative lacing helps, but it usually takes a week or two to weed out the boots or shoes that effect my feet.

KopperBuck, you might want to get your feet checked out for orthotics. I don't mean those crap DR. Scholls you buy at all the corner drug stores, but ones fitted by a podiatrist. They can make a world of difference.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 09:06:44 PM by Alchase »
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2018, 11:06:53 PM »
I wonder since this is my first time with more of a mountain boot that maybe it just isn’t my gig. My old pronghorns were pretty flexible. They were great boots, but pre overseas. My hunting partner has burned through two pair in 3 years and I’ve been apart of every mile he’s been in them. Was trying to avoid that.

I’ve never sprained an ankle in my life, but if you watch me sometimes you would swear they broke. Never blister. Never have sore feet. I wear cowboy boots mostly, muck boots after that. But these last hunting boots have me fooled and gun shy. Seriously thinking about having my feet checked out. I’ve always been a little pigeon toed - probably doesn’t help with a stiffer boot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 07:57:39 AM »
Why did you go with a stiffer boot?

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 10:22:56 AM »
More or less I was trying something else other than Danner’s after seeing and hearing about the failures. Tried something claimed to be more “quality”. I hadn’t bought a pair of boots in a long time - I just figured everything had updated since my last purchase. Kind of like phones.

I also hunt areas where people claim a stiffer/mountain boot is needed or is helpful. I thought maybe I was missing out on something. I’m not sure I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kit Carson

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 10:17:48 PM »
Duluth Trading has some boots guaranteed for a lifetime.
Wear em. Abuse em...send em back for a full refund at any time. No questions asked. Even if there are holes in them and the soles are missing

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal