collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: turkey for beginners?  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Guy

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
turkey for beginners?
« on: November 18, 2007, 06:39:47 AM »
I don't know much of anything about turkey hunting, but there seems to be a growing population of 'em here in Washington State.

Would like to try it out. Where can I learn more about it or can somebody here brief me on the basics.

I've got a good 12 gauge, and have hunted deer & upland game as well as waterfowl over the years. Tried turkey hunting once or twice many years ago when I was stationed on the east coast but never got the hang of it.

Are only male turkeys legal? I've stumbled across turkeys when I've been out hiking and mountain biking, and deer hunting, but what kind of area and food supply do they favor?

I'd imagine I want to use some kind of pretty stout load in the 12 gauge, and likely a tight choke? It's a Beretta 690.

Thanks, Guy

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: turkey for beginners?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 10:32:13 AM »
i learned enough to kill 2 birds my first year hunting by just reading and surfing the net, looking at forums and talking to people who knew more than me about it. theres lots of birds in the southeast and northeast corners, a few around cle elum, liberty areas, the klickitat, etc. they're spreading like wildfire. i shoot 3" mag #6 turkey loads( i forget the brand name) through a primo's jelly head choke tube. that pattern works real well for me.
i bought a primo's cd and practiced in my truck while driving so my wife wouldn't beat the sense out of me. another good site to look at is www.treetopturkeys.com for a sampling of what all the calls sound like. i think you can buy a cd from them too. there's a few basic calls to learna dn know and anything more than the basics would probably help but i wouldn't say you need to know them to kill turkeys. only turkeys with visible beards are legal during the spring season...which is the only season i've hunted them.
huntingnet.com has a very active turkey hunting forum that i frequented for info as well...
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=4

it's very addicitve so be careful. in the last 2 years i have aquired probably 25-30 different calls, decoys, vests, camo, etc etc etc....it's a total blast to hunt turkeys.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Shadow Cat

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:54:47 AM »
I would pretty well mirror what Jackelope has to say. I sent you a PM and I hope it helps you some. I have been hunting them for a while now and have a fair amount of calls and decoys as well. A good vest is something you should have. Make sure it has enough pockets to keep your calls in and keep the QUIET when you are not using them and has a good seat attached to it.

I play with my calls all year long so I can keep the edge and get better at using them. I frequently use 2 calls at the same time making diffrent sounds so the birds think that there is more than one bird. I use a crow and owl call for locating the birds and then work them with my other calls.

Find a locale chapter of the NWTF. They are a great resource for information.

Offline Guy

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 08:07:01 PM »
PM was very helpful, thanks!

Am already starting to soak up whatever I can read here and elsewhere. I enjoy learning new stuff - and this is going to be very new to me.

Regards, Guy

Offline 300wsm

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 05:19:52 PM »
Shoot them in the head or they will run/fly off.  I speak from experience.
My Sweat, My Blood, Your Tears!

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 05:51:52 PM »
Good advise 300wsm. I have seen body shots at less than 20 yards and bird will run off. I helped out a youth a few yearts back. Kid had a 20 guage. Bird was 12 yards, body shot and the turkey ran off like nothing was wrong. We made sure it didn't just run 100 yards and die too. It lived. Not discrediting the youth because he was one heck of a little hunter, just making sue that you know where you HAVE to hit them.

Start watching the Outdoor Channel, lots of turking hunting on there in the next few months.

Start practicing your calling now. I usually wear out 3 or 4 diaphrams while driving around and sitting aroud the house before the season even starts.

Offline dawei

• Scout
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
I don't know much of anything about turkey hunting, but there seems to be a growing population of 'em here in Washington State.

Would like to try it out. Where can I learn more about it or can somebody here brief me on the basics.

I've got a good 12 gauge, and have hunted deer & upland game as well as waterfowl over the years. Tried turkey hunting once or twice many years ago when I was stationed on the east coast but never got the hang of it.

Are only male turkeys legal? I've stumbled across turkeys when I've been out hiking and mountain biking, and deer hunting, but what kind of area and food supply do they favor?

I'd imagine I want to use some kind of pretty stout load in the 12 gauge, and likely a tight choke? It's a Beretta 690.

Thanks, Guy
Send me a PM or email to: pcspatrol@comcast.net I'll be glad to guide you.
David

Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Offline gjorgy

• Pilgrim
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 01:46:13 PM »
Could someone let me know of any NWTF chapters on the west side of the mountains?  I live the Stanwood area so anything North would be helpful.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2008, 08:55:32 PM »
maybe pm nwtfhunter on this board. i'm sure he could get you set up.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10