collapse
Double U Hunting Supply For all your AR 500 steel target needs and competitive shooting events!

Author Topic: What the #$%^!?!? (gas prices)  (Read 3912 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Explorer
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: WFW, WSTA, WSB, WPHA, FWM, NRA, SCI, NAHC, IOGA, MOGA
Re: What the #$%^!?!? (gas prices)
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 09:30:21 AM »
Blame the environmentalists and government. There are too few refineries, even if we drilled more we don't have enough refinery capacity and they are doing everything they can to prevent any more refineries from being built.
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline mazama

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 09:44:51 AM »
GASOLINE and diesel were one of our biggest EXPORTS last year, was on front page of times.

Offline BuckHunter23

• Scout

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Explorer
  • NRA Life, MH, WFW, CCRKBA, NAGR, RMEF
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
Gas prices always rise at this time of year for two reasons. 1. the refineries repair and retool in the spring, causing a drop in production, and 2. The oil companies know that we travel more in the summer and will pay the price to do so. Supply, demand, and they have us by the wallet.
"One does not hunt in order to kill. On the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted." --Jose Ortega y Gasset
"Hunting has opened the earth to me and let me sense the rhythms and hierarchies of nature."
Charles Fergus
"You can run, but you'll just die tired." R. Kemp USMC Scout/Sniper

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 10:28:26 AM »
Ask yourself this question... If you owned and oil company would you want prices to drop or would you like the product you produce and sell to increase in value?

There is plenty I oil out there and it is selling at top dollar, I wouldn't be in a hurry to decrease its value either. 

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
  • Nice...............
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 11:53:03 AM »
It think the gubmint should go after the oil companies and charge them with the RICO act. Racketeering, because that's what it is.
I could care less about what anybody says..............

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2012, 01:11:32 PM »
I remember when gas broke a dollar + a gallon and that was a big deal.  And when I started driving it was close to 2 a gallon,  and that was high!!! I would Love to fill my truck up for 30 bucks after a trip to the mountains instead of $90!!!!!  Actually it got me to thinking how I could customize a Prius or smart car to have 4 wd and hold an elk and camping gear so I can still hunt a lot and not break the bank ; )

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2012, 01:26:03 PM »
Yeah, I wish there was some option of smart/hybrid/aternative that could meet my needs.  The big rigs have a special set up available where braking is basically using an air compressor to power a pneumatic starting assist.  Plus there are generators that can substitute in for brakes to charge a battery.  That would be great for me, seeing as it is almost entirely downhill for the trips back.
Every gun makes its own tune.---The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2012, 01:32:45 PM »
Blame the environmentalists and government. There are too few refineries, even if we drilled more we don't have enough refinery capacity and they are doing everything they can to prevent any more refineries from being built.
:yeah:
I got this from my buddy in FL; Ga $3.40 Fl $3.55 about an hour ago. I remember gas wars in the late 60s .20 and .25 cents a gallon and sometimes in the teens.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
This is caused by George Bush, Dick Cheney, and their rich oil cronies.  Isn't that what Obama, Pelosi, and their buddies told us four years ago?

”Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan

Offline Glockster

• Scout
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:05 PM »
Didn't read any of that above but the news said 3 or 4 days ago that a couple of west coast refineries were going down this month for routine maintenance and that is the reason for the rise in gas prices.  I think it's BS but, that's what has been reported

There are always "refinery issues" right before the summer driving season.  It is price fixing at its finest.  They are constantly testing the market to determine the pain threshold.  Once the market is used to $4/gal, they work to get it used to $5/gal, and so on. 

Offline washelkhunter

• Region 5 State Delegate #3
  • Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
  • Groups: GOD, JESUS, THG, TPE, NRA, RMEF, AST
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2012, 02:47:55 PM »
There hasnt been a new refinery built in 30 yrs and it takes about 10 yrs to build one. Much like a nuclear reactor which we also havent constructed in 30 yrs. You can see what the problem is. Old or nonexistent infrastructure. If we dont start doing things again in this country we are going to end up as a 2nd world nation.

Offline gaddy

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2012, 02:54:18 PM »
& i don't buy the refinery problem. if they can refine enough fuel to be the #1 export for this country i think they are operating just fine. the problem is they are refining for export & not domestic use. and why build  any more when their profits are so high as is.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2012, 02:56:48 PM »
I remember when gas broke a dollar + a gallon and that was a big deal.  And when I started driving it was close to 2 a gallon,  and that was high!!! I would Love to fill my truck up for 30 bucks after a trip to the mountains instead of $90!!!!!  Actually it got me to thinking how I could customize a Prius or smart car to have 4 wd and hold an elk and camping gear so I can still hunt a lot and not break the bank ; )
My, my - such a kid!  :chuckle:

I remember $.19/gallon, and for that you not only got gas but your windshield washed, your tire pressure checked, and free glasses.
”Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." Ronald Reagan

Offline Glockster

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2012, 03:04:01 PM »
& i don't buy the refinery problem. if they can refine enough fuel to be the #1 export for this country i think they are operating just fine. the problem is they are refining for export & not domestic use. and why build  any more when their profits are so high as is.

What does that say about how little GDP we produce for export in this country anymore?  2nd world country....we're already there.  "Refinery issues" is their somehow legal ability to increase price by manipulating the supply side of the equation. 

Offline washelkhunter

• Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2012, 03:09:32 PM »

You dont seem to grasp simple economics. In this country if you build or produce something you have the right and duty to your shareholders to sell that product to
whomever wishes to buy it. It doesnt matter what you think, the fact is we dont have enough supply or refineries to handle what we need. And once again, the oil cos DO NOT SET THE PRICES. They cant help but make money. Can anyone here tell us how much profit an oil co makes off a gal of gas?

Offline gaddy

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2012, 03:15:26 PM »
can anyone say where all this oil comes from that gets refined & exported? i cant imagine it cost effective to import it in from other countries, refine & ship & still make these kind of profits.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 03:19:23 PM »
Oil companies are very large companies.  They sell lots and lots of oil products.  When you sell lots and lots, you expect to make large quantities of profit, but only in absolute terms.

As a percent of sales, oil companies make little compared to many other companies: well under $.10 for each dollar of revenue.

Why is OK for the government to take $.20 to .$50 per gallon of gas from you, but it's not OK for the company to make a few cents on the same gallon?

For all you that hate businesses: if you ran a company, would you set your price based on what the customer wanted to pay for your product, or what you thought you could earn based on market conditions?

http://www.dailymarkets.com/economy/2011/04/27/gasoline-taxes-vs-exxon-profit-per-gallon/

Offline Gobble Gobble

• Proud Daddy & Disabled Veteran
  • Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 03:57:51 PM »
Just to  :stirthepot:  Buy your gas from a tribal owned gas station (it doesn't have to be on the Rez to be tribal owned)... cuz they don't have to pay the gas tax and will get back .27 cents on the dollar for every buck you just spent filling up your vehicle. 
God Bless,
Scott

Offline gaddy

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 04:01:52 PM »
I'm not complaining about them making a profit, its business. just don't buy some of the excuses for our prices. its supply, its refineries, there's to much demand. I'm no economist or a genius in business. i tend to look at things in a more simplistic manner. it eather makes sense or it doesn't.
i guess the point im trying to make is there seems to be enough oil flowing through this country & refineries to handle it if it were kept here. its not, its being exported for profit. OK - just tell me the truth.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Explorer
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 04:12:13 PM »
Everyone who keeps voting democrat in this state can pat themselves on the back for the high state gas taxes in Washington. It is your votes that put in the legislators and governor who have passed into law such high gas taxes. That is why we pay more than ID/MT/WY or most other states, it's the state taxes. :dunno:

Believe it or not, yes, we import oil and export gas. If that offends anyone we could stop another export product from being sold, after all we have already exported most other jobs and professions to other countries. If we were allowed to drill in the US or to pipe oil from Canada we could export more gas and have a more positive cash flow for this country. But that would mean that more Americans would have good paying jobs and the oil companies might make more money and some people are just opposed to that notion. :dunno:

More refineries would mean more production, cheaper gas, more jobs, more exports, that doesn't sound all bad to me. :dunno:
http://trophymaps.com "Do-It-Yourself Maps"    http://bearpawoutfitters.com "Leases, Camps, Cabins, Hunts"    http://graywolfnews.com "Wolf News"
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups and quit losing opportunity.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Explorer
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
As a country Japan has almost no resources of their own, but their government recognizes that they must be productive to survive, almost all resources are imported, they are manufactured, and they are exported back to the rest of the world and Japan has survived with a decent level of living considering they have no resources of their own other than a government that realizes they must let their people work.

Offline rasbo

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • In God I trust...Try taking that away from me!
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »
Everyone who keeps voting democrat in this state can pat themselves on the back for the high state gas taxes in Washington. It is your votes that put in the legislators and governor who have passed into law such high gas taxes. That is why we pay more than ID/MT/WY or most other states, it's the state taxes. :dunno:

Believe it or not, yes, we import oil and export gas. If that offends anyone we could stop another export product from being sold, after all we have already exported most other jobs and professions to other countries. If we were allowed to drill in the US or to pipe oil from Canada we could export more gas and have a more positive cash flow for this country. But that would mean that more Americans would have good paying jobs and the oil companies might make more money and some people are just opposed to that notion. :dunno:

More refineries would mean more production, cheaper gas, more jobs, more exports, that doesn't sound all bad to me. :dunno:
why you anti government caveman,your just another racist hunter,meat eater,egg eater pooh pooh head..you,,, you 1 percenter... :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline gaddy

• Off-Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 05:12:43 PM »

OK i see the jobs, production, & exports but where does the cheaper gas come in. you can drill all you want but if the profitable market is off shore, I'm sure that is where the product will go.
as far as the pipeline from Canada, great- jobs. why build it all the way through our country to the coast to be refined if its not to be shipped out of country. from theirs, through ours, processed & off to some where else.
we are desperatly in need of jobs for sure but why would we deplete or destroy our recources & landscape for the benifit of another nation?.
These are just questions for debate & not intended to be inflamitory or to get anyones panties notted up. just throwing stuff out there.

Offline washelkhunter

• Frontiersman
  • Site sponsorhttp
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 07:59:35 PM »
What makes gas/diesel so expensive is all the taxes the various govts in the country level on it.  fuel would probably be somewhere in the range of 78cts to $1.25 if it werent for all the excess tax.

Quick Links

* Random Photo New

* Recent Topics

ant hill art by gasman
[Today at 05:19:09 PM]

WTS: Gun Parts/stuff by arrowflinger
[Today at 05:18:43 PM]

Salmon season coming by buckhorn2
[Today at 05:17:42 PM]

Free brand new Rip Cord Rest in package! For youth! by rtspring
[Today at 05:17:35 PM]

Oregon ranchers kill 500 pound black bear by Ccortez