collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Fall season turkey??  (Read 10683 times)

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Fall season turkey??
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:57:59 PM »
So I struck out on my second spring turkey season this year. I was thinking about heading over to the NE corner towards the end of September to try and get a bird or two. I know that the calling game is over so would it just be run and gun style hunting? Any advice for a 3-day weekend hunt?   Thanks Jason

Offline baldopepper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Fall season turkey??
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 06:09:23 PM »
You're only allowed 4 (2hens,2 Toms) so don't shoot too
  many. Good hatch, lots of birds. Still some pretty small poults around. Pretty much a spot and stalk hunt, but hard to drive very far early morning without seeing several flocks

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:25:48 PM »
Not calling in the fall is a common misconception that continues to be prevalent. While your method when calling in the fall is different the goal is the same, to call in turkey. Pattern and ambush is my favorite method but you can still bust up flocks and call them back together. Check out the "hunt with written permission" section of WDFW website and make some new friends over in the Addy/Burnt Valley area. I would suggest you save the three day weekend for next year and try for five or six days so you can meet land owners and learn the area without feeling rushed. @russ mcdonald will most likely chime in at some point with some tips. I'll be headed over there the beginning of September with family for a week of death and vengeance. Good luck to both of us.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:34:06 AM »
Not calling in the fall is a common misconception that continues to be prevalent. While your method when calling in the fall is different the goal is the same, to call in turkey. Pattern and ambush is my favorite method but you can still bust up flocks and call them back together. Check out the "hunt with written permission" section of WDFW website and make some new friends over in the Addy/Burnt Valley area. I would suggest you save the three day weekend for next year and try for five or six days so you can meet land owners and learn the area without feeling rushed. @russ mcdonald will most likely chime in at some point with some tips. I'll be headed over there the beginning of September with family for a week of death and vengeance. Good luck to both of us.
Ha Nice!

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 01:53:04 PM »
I have been watching the post.  Going to do a fall Turkey hunting seminar aut Sportmans Warehouse  Saturday the 7th of September hopefully just waiting on time.   I will post more here.   In the fall calling is good but what your really doing is trying to be the boss hen of the flock.   She does most of the communicating in the flock.  So if you can sound like her turkeys will come to you.  In the fall is where the kee kee run comes in handy.  I feel one of the hardest calls to do.  Very rare to get Tom's to talk in the fall.  Bag limit in the 100 GMU's is 2 beardless and 2 of either sex.  Klickitat is now open OTC from September 28 to October 11 and that is 1 of either sex.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 04:35:19 PM by Russ McDonald »
Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 01:39:07 PM »
I have been watching the post.  Going to do a fall Turkey hunting seminar aut Sportmans Warehouse  Saturday the 7th of September hopefully just waiting on time.   I will post more here.   In the fall calling is good but what your really doing is trying to be the boss hen of the flock.   She does most of the communicating in the flock.  So if you can sound like her turkeys will come to you.  In the fall is where the kee kee run comes in handy.  I feel one of the hardest calls to do.  Very rare to get Tom's to talk in the fall.  Bag limit in the 100 GMU's is 2 beardless and 2 of either sex.  Klickitat is now open OTC from September 28 to October 11 and that is 1 of either sex.

Is that going to be in a Federal way?

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 07:31:54 PM »
Yes at noon in yhe 7th.

Russell McDonald

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 05:12:19 AM »
Bump this up.  I will be doing a seminar on fall turkey hunting tomorrow noon at the Federal Way Sportsmans Warehouse.
Russell McDonald

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 05:55:53 AM »
Russ,

Are you going to record this one and post it? I work tomorrow and can't make it out but still want to see what happens.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 06:22:34 AM »
I will see if my wife will do that.

Russell McDonald

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 06:42:22 AM »
My dad and my son went with me to the spring seminar with Russ and had a great time. Alot of new turkey hunters were there asking good questions. If anyone in the Federal Way area is planning to head out and do fall turkey I strongly recommend being there tommorow. I spent years in the woods learning the hard way until I joined the forum amd had access to the combined knowledge. I'm still learning good skills.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 02:28:14 PM »
The key to fall turkeys is patterning them and busting them up properly.  If you scatter them in several directions, sit down and wait a few minutes and start calling with an Assembly Yelp, you'll be covered up in birds in no time.  Throw in a few Kee Kee Runs and you'll have birds streaming back in and making some of the coolest sounds you'll ever hear.  Love listening to the Kee Kee Runs of the young birds as they try and regoup.  Good luck and be safe, lots of foilage makes this a dangerous time to hunt birds.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 02:33:05 PM »
One other thing, mature gobblers CAN be called in the Fall.  You have to know where a group of mature toms like to hang out and you have to bust them up good.  if they all fly away in the same direction, it's a no go.  Scatter them in different directions and you have a good shot.  You'll have to have incredible patience, but the occasional yelp will slowly draw them back together.  But when they come back in it will be slow and scanning.  Any movement and you will be busted.  They will just melt back on the scene.  Where I grew up in the Ozarks of Missouri if you kill a Gobbler this way on purpose, you are truly a master turkey hunter.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Jharstad7182

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • A family that hunts together stays together
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 06:24:18 PM »
So is it frowned upon to drive around like grouse hunting and shoot them off the side of the unmaintained portion of the logging road caus that’s what I do in the fall and get my 4 in one weekend seems like every year. Thoughts? I get toms and hens this way
I eat wild game therefore I eat the definition of organic. It's like rockett fuel for the soul.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »
Hunting is hunting no matter how you do it.  As long as it is safe and legal Fall is a conservation hunt.  Thinning the flock so to speak.  Another tactic isnto ambush them.  Know their travel path and setup on the path and wait for them.  Decoys will work to but only one hen is what to use if you do.  Most people don't use decous in the fall.

Russell McDonald

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal